Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2008
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road
Hey Moonfish, noticed you were in my neck of the woods. I'm at the Port, H dock. Aeolus is currently awaiting her backstay, the final piece of her standing rigging in my full replacement, and so is stuck at her mooring. I'm also soon to receive my final two windows in replacing all the old acrylic.

In any case, always happy to go for a sail. Next time around the Port, drop a note on Aeolus and we can connect on the phone.

Just read a 48North article about a Nauticat 35 getting smashed by waves off the dreaded north coast of CA. Reminder to all to put storm windows over any window bigger than your head. Other than getting rolled, their main problem seemed to be getting a boat full of water through their entirely smashed pilothouse windows. Lucky they made it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
That story really makes one think about the weak link of pilothouse boats. I have always worried about my windows despite the fact that they are armored safety glass and well mounted. Maybe it is time to get going on those storm covers.

Gaz
Old 01-09-2008

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
I'm not discounting the vulnerability of the pilothouse windows or the need for 'storm windows' for offshore but I'm in the process of trying to gather more info on that particular boat. The NC 35 was replaced by the NC 351 which I'm hoping involved the same upgrade from rubber gasketed windows to the tempered glass held in place by through bolted aluminum frames that the upgrade from the NC 33 to the NC 331 did. Through the Nauticat email lists I got the name of the person involved and I have a pending email to him. Just kind of thinking out loud electronically on this incident and of course trying to defend Nauticats
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 01-09-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I have through bolted 1/2 inch Lexan on the sides of my PH, but the forward windows are safety glass in rubber gaskets, with the center window opening up on fairly weak struts.

I think I will drill holes and mount bolts with locking mechanisms so I can put overlapping 1/2" Lexan storm shutters in. It will be a pain to carry them, but taking a wave in through the front would ruin my day (and most of my electronics...). How I will do this and still have wipers is anyone's guess at this point.

I have a 1/4" smoked Plexi and wood drop board in the hatchway and I want to install aluminum "Dutch doors" for watertightness and security (dogging them from the inside like the decent Atkins-Hoyle sliding hatch can be).

I think I'll have to fabricate these myself, however.
Old 01-09-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Valiente-

Your drop boards sound like a weak point. I have 3/8" lexan drop boards on my boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-09-2008

They are, hence my desire for doggable doors like on cop patrol boats. It's just one giant board, as well, so it's a pain to handle. Lets in tons of light, though.
Old 01-11-2008

Well..... I was wrong in my assumption/hope(for a little piece of mind) that the NC 35 that lost its windows off the California coast was of the older 'rubber gasket only' type. After corresponding with the crew member inolved I was corrected. He, as a Nauticat dealer and deliverer, tells me that the "Pilothouse" line always had the through bolted aluminum frames that were added to my 331 as an upgrade to the 33 as member of the "Traditional Motor Sailor" line. On the bright side Kaj Gustofson, the owner of the Nauticat Company, had told him that he only knew of one window failure and that was caused by a poorly mounted stereo in the pilothouse.
Again, as in my earlier post, I'm not discounting the vulnerability of Pilothouse windows and the probable need for 'storm windows' for offshore work I just wanted to gather some info for the list and myself.
Old 01-11-2008

So what is the composition and thickness of the framed windows in question? I'm asking because if 1/2" Lexan with 30-odd throughbolts mounted on framed steel isn't sufficient, I don't know what is. I am under the impression that this stuff can stop small-calibre gunfire.

I would like to hear more, please.
Old 01-11-2008

Valiente - I don't know the thickness and 'tempered glass' is the best description I can come up with for mine. I can check the little verbage etched into the corners if that would help but you have Lexan and I have glass so it's apples and oranges any way.
Old 01-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Laminated, tempered glass would probably be best for the pilothouse ports. Regular laminated glass, like that of an automobile windshield is less than ideal, since if hit hard enough, it will result in razor edged shards. Tempered glass by itself is also less than ideal, since if hard enough it will shatter into a lot of tiny, relatively safe to handle fragments.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.