Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2008

steelboat is on a distinguished road
dutch doors

Valiente, this place has what you're talking about: aluminum water tight dutch companionway doors. www.siamondseaglaze.com
Hope this helps. Bob www.sv-restless.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2008

steelboat is on a distinguished road
dutch doors

oops. that should be www.diamondseaglaze.com . go to products, doors, medium duty, dutch. They custom make them; I don't know price. Bob
Old 02-05-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Thanks, Bob...that is the general idea, but cut that height in half. Basically, I have a 36" high smoked plexi dropboard in a wooden grooved "frame" throughbolted to the steel pilothouse itself. Above that is an excellent Atkins & Hoyle sliding hatch that is fully "doggable" and is in heavy-duty sliding grooves.

The sliding hatch is padlocked over the dropboard top flange. You either would have to boot in the dropboard or snap off the padlock to gain entry.

The "sill" is about two inches. My aft deck is pretty high...I can't say I've ever have even a splash from a following sea there...but that's in Lake Ontario, where getting pooped is usually a function of not seeing the squall line crawling up your stern.

What I want to get is basically two gasketed aluminum panels, both doggable from the inside and lockable from the outside. The lower panel can be solid, and the upper panel can have either a fixed or an opening ventilation port, maybe 5 x 12 or so, with heavy glass. The idea is that the lower half, when dogged, makes for a "bridge deck" of 20 inches, while the upper part can be latched open, with the dogged hatch keeping all but horizontal rain out. This will allow ventilation and communication in moderately heavy weather, but also will allow a quick way to seal the pilothouse far better than present. Even fully shut, in a capsize, we would take on water. A well made gasketed and horizontally split door would lessen water ingress significantly, and would make the boat a more daunting target for burglars in port.

In the picture above, you can see the saloon companionway. I also want the ability to close that with gasketed aluminum panels, as well as a similar "downstairs" to the aft cabin. The pilothouse has internal scuppers, believe it or not, so that if I gasket the engine room hatch, and shut those doors, I could take about a foot of sea water in the pilothouse itself before the electrics suffered...

Thank you for the link. You've given me something to think about.
Old 03-16-2008

siberian is on a distinguished road
Got to love that 'true blue' nauticat pilothouse. No where to go, nothing to do?..You can always just sit around and admire the interior. A real 'pilothouse' fan.

Last edited by siberian; 03-18-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Siberian-

Valiente's boat is a steel beastie, not a Nauticat, although it does share some similarity in lines with the Nauticat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-17-2008

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by siberian View Post
Got to love that 'true blue' nauticat pilothouse. No where to go, nothing to do?..You can always just sit around and admire the interior. A real pilothouse fan.
Yup...... I do it for hours on end .........
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 03-17-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Thanks siberian,
With my wanderlust and our beautiful sailing grounds, there were very few times when there was "nowhere to go, nothing to do". But, I did admire the pilothouse interior during the past 4 years or ownership - whenever weather conditions made it unpleasant to be outside.
Old 03-17-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I like leaning on the "daybed" in the pilothouse and listening to the rain while reading. I like the play of light better there than down in the arguably more comfortable saloon. I guess it's the same as liking a treehouse as a kid!
Old 10-20-2008

atrometer is on a distinguished road
PH Motor Sailors

You should look at a Schucker 40 if you want a great one.
Old 08-20-2009

Maina is on a distinguished road
Tashiba 31 Pilot House

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeke16 View Post
I wasn't able to view the web page that you posted. But since these boats are extremely rare, I think I bought that particular boat. If anyone would like to know more about it, post a note.
I have read your post about buying a Tashiba 31 Pilothouse and have a couple of questions, if you are willing to answer them. Currently I have a Southern Cross 28 which I have restored extensively and which I like. I have it set up for single handing with all lines led aft, a stack pack main and roller furling on genoa and club footed jib.

But now that I have a grandson and want to eventually cruise the Gulf of Maine with him I am looking for something just a bit bigger, especially with broader decks and better accommodations below. I want to stay with a cutter and a boat I can easily single hand. I am 65 and not getting younger. The Tashiba 31 caught my eye, especially the pilothouse version, which I gather is rare. I have a friend who has a larger Tashiba, a 40 I think, that he likes.

Any comments you have or information on these boats would be much appreciated. Do you have any pictures of your boat that you would be willing to share?