Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
sailortjk1,

There are two pilothouse options with the "Traditional" Nauticat 33 models, one pilothouse door, or two. One door allows for a large U-shaped lounge along the port side, surrounding a teak "dinette" table. The helm is not on the centerline, but far over to starboard. This arrangement is nice because of it's large "single" seating area. But, if on a port tack, one can only access the pilothouse on the low side of the vessel - kinda scary if heeling sharply.

On the two door design (True Blue's), the helm is centered, but a removable cushion over a slide-out teak base, converts the port side steps into an extended L-shaped lounge. There is a teak dinette table and a separate seat "split" from the dinette, to starboard, flanking the companionway door down to the aft cabin. The pilothouse is quite large but can only comfortably seat 5 people at the dinette, but 6-7 if moveable stools/chairs are used.

The dinette in the forward salon/galley below seats 6. Therefore the cabin area seats 12, although split in two spaces. 7 people can sleep comfortably - but who wants to do that in a 33 foot boat?
Old 11-10-2006

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
On Christy Leigh the pilothouse IS the salon. I tried to attach photos but they are too big. I've got to scale down my megapixels. Any way my pilothouse/salon table is over 6x3 with a wrap around settee about 8' long with 4' at each end which takes up only half of the pilothouse. We dine with a beautiful view and full curtains offer complete coverage at night. We are not big entertainers but we could seat 5 or 6 comfortably. My 'liveaboard interior' trades the small salon in the 'normal' 33's for a stand alone shower. I rafted up with a couple of 40' Nauticats lately and they said they would like to do something else with their 2nd salon - because who needs two. I have my TV built into the wall of the aft cabin for watching from bed. Your thinking reminds me of my thoughts when I was comming from a c320 with a large salon. Now I have a 'split level' house for gathering in the middle or my wife reading in the aft cabin while I kick back sitting in my little den in the forward cabin listening to music a few rooms away.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Both TrueBlue and ChristyLeigh are Nauticat Motorsailors, rather than their "tradtional" sailboats per se... yes??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-10-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Sorry for these photos, if people are using dialup, but here's a view showing another side of the pilothouse:

The aft windows (ports), with curtains opened, allow 360 degree visibility.
Old 11-10-2006

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Sailingdog - I listed the Nauticat catagories in a previous posting. I think the common misconception is that 'traditional' mean a standard configuration sailboat - NO - All Nauticat makes IS Pilothouse Sailboats. Thier listing is a bit counter-intuitive I agree but 'traditional' is the key as the 33 was thier first going back 40 years or so. The newer sleeker ones without the sliding side doors have only been around for half that. By the way TB even though I leave the port side setee insert in most of the time my right side steering configuration also has doors on both sides if I needed to use the port side door - if I was feeling wimpy and didn't want to walk on a rail in the water to get in that is....
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 11-10-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
What I meant by that was that the "traditional" boats are optimized for sail performance, rather than the motorsailors, like the Nauticat 33/331, which are not optimized for sail performance. I do know that all Nauticat makes are pilothouse designs, and given where they're made, it makes sense. Also, on the "motorsailor" configurations, the doors to the pilothouse are on the sides, and on the "sailboat" configurations, the door to the pilothouse appears to be aft.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 11-10-2006
Señor Member

You are correct SD, in that the "Traditional Pilothouse" models are designed to be comfortable, cruising motorsailers. Some models (such as with CL & TB) have the modified fin keel, skeg-hung rudder and tall mast/rig options, and do sail surprisingly well w/o power.

The later designs by Sparkman & Stevens are high-performance sailing machines.
Old 11-10-2006
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
So is it fair to say that a PH makes for a less seaworthy bluewater boat (large salon windows, large salon door, etc.)? I was initially thinking they might make a better bluewater boat because of the increased shelter area during storms/squalls/etc. Perhaps I'm wrong. Or perhaps it's not possible to generalize about PH boats in regard to bluewater ability.
Old 11-10-2006
Señor Member

I would have no reservations about doing a crossing, or circumnavigation for that matter, in this:

http://www.nauticat.com/Default.aspx...6827&BoatId=13

Old 11-10-2006
Telstar 28

I think their non-motorsailor designs are a bit more seaworthy. The side-mounted doors on the the motorsailors are a bit more vulnerable to breaking if the boat should get rolled than the aft pilothouse entrance located in the cockpit of the sailboats.

The interesting thing to note is that the motorsailors are given a EU RCD Category B rating, mainly due to the door placement IIRC, and the sailboats are classified EU RCD A.

While some pilothouse boats may be more seaworthy, it really depends on the specific design. Those that do not have a sufficiently strong pilothouse design may be less seaworthy, as they are also less stable than an identical hull without a pilothouse, since there is a higher center of gravity on a pilothouse boat.

Large windows are only a problem if they aren't designed to resist the forces involved. In one sense, the ability to handle the boat from a sheltered location does improve the seaworthiness to some degree—primarily by protecting the crew better and allowing them to operate the boat more safely.

Telstar 28
New England