Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2006

Kacper is on a distinguished road
Single-handling challenges

Hello again,

My next question is on single handling.

I currently sail Martin 242s 22' and Catalina Capris 24'. My main challenge when single-handling these boats, as I am a fairly new sailor, is getting the hang of keeping the boat on course while I am trying to adjust sails or change tack.

The problem is of course, when I let go of the tiller to move up a forward and grab a line so I can get ready to release the sail

Or, when I need both hands to use a winch.

Within 5 seconds of me going up, the boat veers off downwind or upwind, I lose speed, sometimes end up in irons and have to do some acrobatics to get back on a tack.

The worst is when there are other boats around closely and the boat heads right for them... I know I can get back to the tiller in 20 seconds to change the course back, but this probably freaks other sailors out as there's a boat heading directly for them and this dude on the boat has no idea what is going on... Albeit Probably makes me look like a newbie.

I have had some ideas to tie off the tiller in some way, but haven't though of a good way to do this yet. These are just day sailing boats without autopilot or auto-steering In case you want to suggest that, lol.

Is there some tried and true single handling strategy to get the hang of this? Please let me know.

Kacper
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A lot of the techniques for handling this type of situation involve modifying or adding hardware to the boat, and since I am guessing that you don't own the boats in question....that is probably not an option.

A lot of people, including myself, have used a set of lines or a line and a bungee cord to "lock" the tiller in position for short periods of time. Another option is to have a rack or rail beneath the tiller with a series of holes or slots in it and a peg or key on the tiller that drops into the holes or slots and holds the tiller in a fixed position.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-12-2006
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
As SD suggested using bungee cord. It works very well for me.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 11-12-2006

CDRA is on a distinguished road
I use a "tiller tamer" from West Marine. Holds the tiller with an adjustable clutch on a 1/4" line to two cleats. Also good for holding the tiller when docked.
Makes having lunch while single handing more relaxing.
Old 11-12-2006

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
On small tiller steered boats, I have generally used a piece of shock chord run across the cockpit and wrapped around the end of the tiller three or four times. The position of the tiller can be adjusted with high precision by rolling the shock chord around the tiller until the boat holds a roughly straight course. I also keep the tiller extension near by to permit quick adjustments.

Jeff
Old 11-12-2006

Rogerdshoemaker is on a distinguished road
More info?

I did a lot of singlehanded sailing on my C-27,and I ama little confused by your post. While I did install a tiller tamer, I did not use it for the times you mention, dropping sail or winching in. For the former, I would just put her into irons, lose way, then go up and drop and smother the sail. If it was crowded,I would pick up a mooring or dock under sail first, but if there was enough space to start the engine, leave it at idle and drops sail in irons that usually worked.

For the latter, I assume you mean the jib sheets, as your main on a 22 is probably not on a winch, and you have it easily at hand at the tiller. For jib sheets,I did have a problem trying to adjust the winch on the leeside after the joib was under load,so I take the sheet around the proper lee side winch a couple turns when coming about, but them took the sheet across the cockpit and a trun or two around the high side,windward winch. This allowed me to keep the tiller in place with knee or leg, or close enough while fiddling with the winch and winch handle to tune the jib under load. I found this method a lot more comfortable.

I just rented a C25 down in Miami a coupla weeks ago and employed this technique,as it was blowing pretty good,so she had considerable heel.

I now own a smaller catboat, and have not singlehanded her much yet. But oddly I find it more challenging as the shallow draft, high freeboard, centerboard catboat moves fast over waher in pretty much ANY direction when pushed by the wind with sails down and board up!

But I am working on it!

Hote that technique is helpful.

Roger
Katty Bay
PC #123
Cape Cod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KB sunset edited 2 reducedBIG.jpg (37.5 KB, 45 views)
Old 11-12-2006

DeepFrz is an unknown quantity at this point
Check this out...

http://www.blumhorst.com/potterpages...ller-tamer.htm
Old 11-12-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
On a M242, the tiller extension can be adjusted and placed against the seat back to temporarily hold the tiller in the desired postition, with the weather helm pressure holding it there. However, the 242 is such a light boat that when you move the balance will change and the boat may still alter course.

The bungee/line suggestions above work well too, but in fact the M242 is not particularily well laid out for singlehanding. The mid cockpit traveler and the cabintop primary winches make trimming headsails from the helm difficult, as you well know.

You can make things easier by carefully steering slowly through the tack which will allow you to get the jib in without a winch handle. Try straddling the tiller, get both sheets in your hand and control the turn with your knees, while releasing and pulling on the appropriate sheets as you tack.

One more thing you can try is to bring the sheet to the windward winch (once around the leeward and across the hatch to the other winch) and sit forward of the traveller using the full tiller extension. This will put the jib sheet closer to hand. As I said, even if you tie off the tiller, if you go to leeward to adjust the jib the boat will round up due to your weight.
Old 11-14-2006

Kacper is on a distinguished road
Thank you guys, these were really good suggestions I will get a bungee cord and see if that helps out.

Kacper
Old 11-19-2006

trod44 is on a distinguished road
Single-hand help

Although it's a bit pricey, I found that my best friend when single-handing my Yankee 30 was "Otto-Von'Helm", my ST-1000 tiller autopilot. Complete confidence in doing anything, handled wind shifts and changes in sail trim, didn't chew too much power. Is especially useful when going forward to douse the main or when throwing fenders or lines around when docking. The other thing that is great is a roller-furling jib, obviously, as if things piped up getting that rolled up within 20-30 seconds is great.

Tony