Another Key West Question - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-21-2016 Thread Starter

Another Key West Question

Finally retired! Looking for my O'Day 272 LE. Hopefully sooner rather than later, but when it happens a trip to Key West will definitely be in order. I have heard that there are, shall we say, less desirable anchorages than others.
I really don't mind drunks, and derelicts are in fact a part of what makes diversity so wonderful...but... I don;t want to live next to them. Anyone care to share there thoughts on where one should anchor out and where one should stay away from?

Thanks for replies!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-21-2016

Re: Another Key West Question

To be perfectly honest, I never encountered any drunks or derelicts in the keys, but I'm confident there must be some at every anchorage, especially the more congested ones.

The Garrison Bight Mooring Field looked like it was filled to capacity the last time I went through there, and I opted to anchor up in Mule Key Basin, which is just on the west side of the Northwest Channel. There wasn't anyone there other than myself.

Now, I spent most of my time in Marathon Key's Boot Key Harbor, about a month on a mooring ball and three months tied to the City Marina bulkhead. Never had any problems with the folks there either. Well, I forgot about a nutcase drunken woman who lived aboard a trawler on the other side of the canal who went berserk one night while we were playing music at the marina's Tiki hut. She was sent packing by the marina a week later.

By and large, pretty much everyone I met while cruising have been wonderful individuals. Now, at some anchorages in Chesapeake Bay, which is where I'm at now, there have been some pretty rowdy individuals playing loud music until 3 am and the Natural Resources Police had to intervene. I understand that most of those problems have been taken care of during the past two years of law enforcement.

Good luck on your retirement, and I sincerely believe you will enjoy a memorable and enjoyable time in Key West and the other Florida Keys locations.

Gary
post #3 of 8 Old 04-22-2016

In my experience people are people wherever you go. There is little variation in the character content of humanity across the spectrum, opportunity seems to be the defining characteristic. Look for the good in things and ignore or stay away from those who seek attention or trouble and you will have smooth sailing.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-22-2016

Have you looked at Active Captain?

Stu Jackson, Catalina 34, 1986, M25 engine, Rocna 10 (22#)
post #5 of 8 Old 04-23-2016
Noah's Bosun

Biggest problem in KW is more the neighborhood than the neighbors... Garrison Bight (and nearby anchorages) are essentially open roadsteads, and can be rough as a cob depending on wind direction and speed. 3' chop is not unusual in the Bight with a NE fresh breeze. Some spots around Stock Island more protected but hard to find a spot.

Boot Key well protectected harbor but moorings are full by mid December. Several other anchorages in harbor and Sister Creek but crowded when balls are full. Quieter night life than KW and lower key in general. Hour and a half bus ride if you go to KW from Marathon..

"If the wind will not serve, lay to the oars"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-23-2016
Dakota Lee

Location: Virginia, South Dakota, Washington State, Key West Florida

Dock

If you qualify, the Naval air station has a nice Marina at Boca Chica. Slips as well as moorings. Five miles north of Key West.

V/r

Pete
post #7 of 8 Old 04-23-2016

I made a quick road trip down the Keys last week and noticed there were no boats anchored or mooring balls in the inner harbor by Garrison Bight Key West as I passed by. Not sure if this a permanent situation or just temporary. I remember seeing boats there in years past but, it's been awhile.

Mike
Currently: Fixing things

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mbianka; 04-23-2016 at 02:21 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-23-2016
Dakota Lee

Location: Virginia, South Dakota, Washington State, Key West Florida

Dock

Mooring vicinity the Navy's Ammo storage area and Army SCUBA school was prohibited a few years ago due to security concerns. Too many boats were mooring within the blast safety zone and Navy finally laid down the law.

V/r

Pete

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.