SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Witness the birth of an Island

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  sailingforever 
#1 ·
This is simply amazing! They sailed thru a sea of stones, literally, while watching a south pacific island being born. Quite a few photos that are just unreal. :eek: I've got to ask: "What would your reaction be seeing the sea of stones appear on the horizon?.. Never mind the volcano further forward".

Here's the blog site from S/V Maiken. http://yacht-maiken.blogspot.com/2006/08/stone-sea-and-volcano.html

Sorry I'm internet photo challenged so I'm simply providing the link.

#2 ·
Saw this on another site - it is amazing and was subsequently reported on local island networks after the crew discovered it. What's amazing, is their log continues with entries of their journey, seemingly nonchalant over this important discovery.

#7 ·
Colin, thanks for that link. Fantastic!

What an opportunity the crew of Maiken has had to witness such a thing.

#9 ·
TB-

I think the tsunamis in Japan are due to the 8.2 earthquake that happened just off their coast, rather than something much further south.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.