Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2006
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_53
Pyrat Rum or Cockspur. Morgans privat reserve is OK too. The rest is just swill.
I agree on the Morgans although I'm sure others will disagree. Captain and OJ is a great drink. The new Morgans private reserve is decent to sip.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2006
learning to sail

RayMetz100 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to RayMetz100
Eclipse?

Wow! Apperantly there is a lot of great rum I haven't tried yet. I don't drink much myself, so it will probably take me over a month to empty a bottle of Rum. I guess I'll have to drive my crew harder to make them thirstier and help me get to the next bottle.

These are the ones I found available on the Washington State Liquor website that I haven't tried:
* MOUNT GAY ECLIPSE RM
MOUNT GAY EXTRA OLD RUM
MOUNT GAY SPECIAL RESERVE RUM
MOUNT GAY SUGAR CANE BARBADOS RUM

* GOSLING BLACK SEAL BLACK RM

RON MATUSALEM CLASICO RUM
RON MATUSALEM GRAN RESERVA RUM
RON MATUSALEM PLATINO RUM

* CRUZAN ESTATE SINGLE BARREL RUM

* PYRAT PLANTERS GOLD XO RESERVE RM
* PYRAT XO RES RUM W/HUMIDOR

* COCKSPUR 12 RM

* CAPTAIN MORGAN PRIVATE STOCK RM

I put a star by the ones available in my town, Everett, and the others are just 45 mins away in Seattle.

Since so many people recommended Mt Gay, I'd like to pick up a bottle of the Eclipse first. Is that any good? I didn't hear anyone mention Eclipse.

If not, what's a good first bottle from Everett and from Seattle?

Thanks,

Ray
Old 11-16-2006

thegreatescape is on a distinguished road
Well I am not sure about drinking a lot while operating anything with a large boom, I will have to put my two cents in about the best rum I have ever encountered.

Ron Zacapa Centenario. Its a 20 year old rum that is actually made in Guatemala. However, I think it is so good that it is a sin to mix this rum with anything other than a couple of cubes of ice.
Old 11-16-2006

JakeLevi is on a distinguished road
Drinking while sailing with a large boom is a good way to get a look at your keel, if you're lucky,

drinking any rum with cocal cola makes it bilge juice,

I've had some of the original bicardis , it is excellent stuff. Its well worth going to Canada if you are near the border. I prefer it on the rocks with a squirt of lime juice, but have had it with fresh mango juice and that was good.
Old 11-17-2006
Coastal Cruiser

Bill Mc is on a distinguished road
Many good choices. I have to admit rum is one of my favorite vices. For everyday consumption my choice is Bacardi 151 with enough Diet Coke to color it. This stuff is rocket fuel and comes with a flame arrestor on the bottle. I have used it as an antiseptic, astringent and as a general anesthesia. Another favorite that has not been mentioned is Jamaican Over Proof Rum. OSHA is not inforce in the Islands, therefore no Flame Arrestor on this bottle.

Fair Wind and best regards,

From a Professional Drinker with a Sailing problem.

Last edited by Bill Mc; 11-17-2006 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-17-2006

TXS-ALAMO is on a distinguished road
RON RICO 151. After the first drink, you can't taste anything anymore anyway. AND it makes a great charcoal starter!
Old 11-17-2006

mstern is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXS-ALAMO
RON RICO 151. After the first drink, you can't taste anything anymore anyway. AND it makes a great charcoal starter!
Hah! You hit the nail on the head there! One of my knucklehead friends bought a bottle of that stuff on a camping trip. It had the kick of grain alchohol and the taste of tropical lighter fluid. And we used to start the campfire. Woooooosh!

My favorite real rum: Meyers Dark. It seems that not too many of the other posters here agree, but I like it, both mixed and on the rocks. I also have a bottle of Goslings for special occasions and guests who know the difference. And yes, I do like Mt. Gay as well.
Old 11-17-2006

JD Jamieson is on a distinguished road
The pint has not been issued for several hundred years. Until the practice was terminated in the early 1970's, the RN and RCN issued a daily tot (2.5 ounces) of overproof rum to Chief and Petty Officers and ratings who were of legal drinking age . The ratings either drank it neat (stright up) or with water or coke in front of the issuing officer (I was one of those). The Chief and Petty Officers were allowed to consume theirs in the privacy of their mess.

Best rum as far as I am concerned is Black Seal. Pusser's tries to emulate the original but doesn't quite make it. Lamb's sells something that they call Navy rum but is not as good as Black Seal. The rum issued in the RN and RCN was was well overproof and not really a social drink. Not recommended for a pleasant afternoon sail although I admit to imbibing some from time to time on a cold December day sail on the east coast. Just to keep warm of course.

John
Old 11-17-2006
Not quite Senior Member

Waymar83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83
Well,

I do more reading of the threads than writing in. This is one I could not pass up. Having lived in Haiti and currently now Guyana, I have to say for sipping straight up:
1) Guyana's El Dorado 15 yr old (also available in 12 and 21yr old) is alltime favourite. Very smooth. NOT TO BE MIXED.

2) 2nd goes to Haiti's Barbancourt 5 star. "Réserve Spéciale"

I've had several rums from Barbados and Jamaica. Nothing beats the El Dorado 15 yr old.

For mixing go for an El Dorado 5 yr old or a Barbancourt 3 star.
Old 11-17-2006
Coastal Cruiser

Bill Mc is on a distinguished road
I'm reading this thread like a Menu. Drooling at work is unbecoming of me. For those of you that have named the Rums that I still have not Quaffed. Thank you, I now have to go shopping to increase my Knowledge.

The Good Lord allowed man to discover alcohol so the Irish wouldn't take over the world.

Erin go bragh..

Bill