SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

White squall in the central Grenadines today.

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Shockwave 
#1 ·
"How about we just go for a sail today and not go straight to the Tobago Cays (about 4 miles from Saline Bay, Mayreau)?" our charter guests asked us this morning, when we were discussing the day's plan. It's been overcast all charter, but not windy or rainy for the most part.
"Fine" we said, looking forward to a few hours of pleasant sailing and a chance to catch dinner.
And what marvelous sailing it was until, completely unheralded by any indication at all, all hell broke loose. Just 12 knots of wind on the beam became nearly 40 in a few seconds! No dark cloud, no seas, no whitecaps, just whoosh.
As we were just south west of Charlestown Bay, Canoan it seemed a good idea to head in and anchor. No damage or problems, but it sure put a damper on that little sail.
Literally a dozen other boats joined us in the anchorage and some of the furling jobs weren't as neat as normal.
Anybody else go through that squall? We'd love to know how far it reached and how strong it was where you were.

#6 ·
Those sorts of wind events are common all over the world, including the Great Lakes where I sail mostly. .
In over 50 years as a professional mariner, this is only the second time I've experienced anything like this. I can imagine it being more common on the Great Lakes, but the summer I sailed there we just had regular old black and nasty squalls. Plenty and enough of those to put those lakes way down on my priority of places to return to. lol

#4 · (Edited)
Well I was in Young Island Cut on the SW corner of St Vincent at the same time and had no unusual wind events. 10 to 15 knots SE.

My visitor was flying back to Germany and we had a pleasant sail from Bequia over to Young Island Cut on Saturday easily making it on one tack.

It rained lightly on and off Saturday night and Sunday.

#7 ·
I think it was about three years ago during the Mills Race, Lake Erie, a front came through. The breeze went from 20 to 60 in seconds, it lasted about 2~3 minutes. There was a lot of carnage, torn sails, overturned multi hulls, sailors in the water. The mills race is a night race, no one saw it coming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.