SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Setting Sail on the Tennessee River

6K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  deniseO30 
#1 ·
So I am planning on picking up a boat near Knoxville and sailing to around Chattanooga. I'll have 145 river miles to cover and I'll be heading downriver with a 1-3 mile per hour current.

I've got a 15hp motor that can pretty consistently push my Cat 27' at 5-6 knots. But it is a 30 year old Evanrude and I don't want to motor for 145 miles for fear pf pushing the old outboard over the edge.

Anyhow, how many days should I allot to get downriver? I'm thinking two or maybe three to be safe? I haven't done a trip this long before, usually just lake sailing, and I'm looking forward to any tips!

#2 ·
You boat should motor at 5 knots without pushing the engine. Add two knots for current and you get 70 mile days. Unless you are taking it slow, stopping for meals or seeing some sights along the way, even then you could do it in three days.

Now, it's a new boat to you so expect the worst and hope for the best. If you have portable gas tanks, make sure they are clean and bring some spare parts for the engine. I would allow myself four days and take it slow, enjoy the sights and learn about the boat, wait for something to break :)

#3 ·
If you're going solo, then I'd suggest you take 3 days, or 4 if you want to smell the roses along the way. Also, bring some sort of cushioned seating. 3-4 days of sitting on hard fiberglass hunched over the tiller will leave you numb and sore. Bring good foulies and I'd suggest you wear long pants and long sleeved shirts. 3-4 days in unrelenting sun can be bad if you aren't accustomed to it. It would really help if you have one crew to give you an occasional break from helming.

#4 · (Edited)
Just made that trip but in the opposite direction. 4 days, get some charts here: Tennessee River navigation charts: Paducah, Kentucky to Knoxville, Tennessee :: Maps
Have alternate anchoring spots in mind, be real nice to bridge operators and lock masters. They can really mess you up or help you out. Bone up on anchor trip lines.
Bring along bug repellent. Be sure your VHF is working and AIS is nice to have. Have two anchors rigged and on deck. Second the suggestion on cushions. Binoculars, need them you will. Fenders for the locks. Don't know if you have been thru locks before but remember to keep the spreaders off the wall. I sat on the deck and braced my feet against the wall to keep the spreader off the wall. Smell the roses along the way. And keep us posted. May the current be with you.

Also you might want to check out this young man's you tube videos https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=saltynomad
My boat shows up in Demopolis , part 7 around 7:40. Depth sounder for feeling your way into anchorages.

Reactions: clifgray
#5 ·
I appreciate all the advice and good ideas.

Luckily I've got brand new cushions in and out and some good wide-brim hats + sunscreen ready for the trip.

Cool to hear you just did a similar trip Skip. As for the locks, I haven't actually been through anything like that except on some sailing around Cape Canaveral where we went under a lot of draw bridges. Is there anywhere I can read about protocol? Do you just announce approach on the VHF and talk on their specified channel to confirm everything? I've had some in FL where they just yell at you over the loudspeaker.

#6 ·
"Is there anywhere I can read about protocol? Do you just announce approach on the VHF and talk on their specified channel to confirm everything? I've had some in FL where they just yell at you over the loudspeaker."

Don't know about documented protocol. You might try googling it. I called the locks on the VHF using the name of the lock. Might go something like this:
you "Watts Bar Lock, Watts Bar Lock, this is sailing vessel Rising star, southbound requesting a lock thru"
them "switch to channel 13"
blah blah
they will tell you to tie port or starboard, and which floating bit to tie to.
There are red and green lights to let you know when to proceed into the locks.
Let them know when you are secured.
Wait for the signal (one blast) before untying.
Here is one write up on locking https://books.google.com/books?id=y...#v=onepage&q=tie point in a boat lock&f=false

#9 ·
Good idea, I'll often chat with truckers over my CB and they make for some interesting conversation as well as great insight into road/weather conditions so I'll try the same with the tows.

So I am trying to calculate how much fuel I will need to bring with me and how often I will need to stop to refuel. My goal is to sail primarily but speed is also critical so I miss minimal work. Any estimates on how many gallons I will go through if I motored the whole 150 miles on a Catalina 27' with a 1980 Evinrude 15HP (2-stroke).

Or does anyone just have general mpg for a 27' Cat with a 15HP motor?

#10 ·
Good idea, I'll often chat with truckers over my CB and they make for some interesting conversation as well as great insight into road/weather conditions so I'll try the same with the tows.

So I am trying to calculate how much fuel I will need to bring with me and how often I will need to stop to refuel. My goal is to sail primarily but speed is also critical so I miss minimal work. Any estimates on how many gallons I will go through if I motored the whole 150 miles on a Catalina 27' with a 1980 Evinrude 15HP (2-stroke).

Or does anyone just have general mpg for a 27' Cat with a 15HP motor?
You should get about 1/2-3/4 gal per hour with a good tail current not pushing it you may get a bit better. I would say plan on motoring all the way, and if you get sails up it is a bonus. Sounds like a fun trip.

#11 ·
So I am planning on picking up a boat near Knoxville and sailing to around Chattanooga. I'll have 145 river miles to cover and I'll be heading downriver with a 1-3 mile per hour current.

I've got a 15hp motor that can pretty consistently push my Cat 27' at 5-6 knots. But it is a 30 year old Evanrude and I don't want to motor for 145 miles for fear pf pushing the old outboard over the edge.

Anyhow, how many days should I allot to get downriver? I'm thinking two or maybe three to be safe? I haven't done a trip this long before, usually just lake sailing, and I'm looking forward to any tips!
Sadly. my son would have jumped to make the trip with you. But, he passed away on Dec 22 just before the Holiday. He was only 35 :crying I would suggest you spend some real time learning the boat befor making a trip. carry a 2nd outboard if you need to. get Boat US. and even though VHF is used most everything is reachable by cell phone now.

Anyway. put it out there! Get someone to join you! Hopefully someone with experience on the Recreational Activities on the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway

#12 ·
So sorry, I had not heard this. I know you were talking about moving to Tennessee to be near him. (I tried to PM you but could not) I am truly saddened by this my younger daughter is that age. I can't imagine the loss.:crying

#13 ·
@deniseO30 all the best as you work through your loss - I know how tough it can be.

So it looks like the anchor light is burned out and I am about to buy a temporary solution. An LED that I can just haul up onto the mast until I can get a more permanent solution wired in. I'm considering something like this: http://www.amazon.com/AYL-StarLight-Resistant-Emergencies-Hurricanes/dp/B00VPTKQ7M does anyone use any good LED camping lights on their boat that you can recommend?

#17 ·
Thanks all I've not mentioned it because I needed some time of course.
Well I know you know it, but you have the entire forum here if you need anything. If you needed something I could be down there in half a day. The knowledge and kindness (not to mention woodworking and A/C skills) you have shared here on this forum, I can't think of anyone here who wouldn't drop whatever they were doing if you needed anything even just to talk.

It will take a long time, but it will get better. Never the same but better.

#15 ·
Thanks Denise!

Assembling my supply list for the trip this Friday!
  • Do I need to get the motor oil for my outboard or do marina's typically carry this?
  • I have a bunch of automotive tools at home, anything that would be good to bring, wire cutters, hammer, etc?
  • Anyone have anything particular that they don't leave without for a 2-3 day sail?

#16 ·
Get the oil at Walmart or the big box store of your choice. Marinas tend to mark stuff up.
Bring extra spark plugs and the socket that fits em.
There were times I wish I had tunes on board, CD/AM/FM.
Got a gas can? An extra five gallons is nice insurance.
A bag of snacks for lunch is handy. My sweet tooth acted up on my trip.
Vice grips, crescent wrench, screwdrivers (flat and phillips). A hammer???
Electrical tape, meter, knife, allen wrenches.

#18 ·
Thanks Skip, some good ideas there that I hadn't thought of yet!

A clearly beginner question but when planning for anchorages along the Tennessee, do most spots require that I pay for a night there and do I need to reserve any in advance or can I mostly just show up, spend the night, and get on my way the next day? Any good resources for finding anchorages?

#19 ·
Anchor out of the channel, far away from sailboat eating tugs. :)
I never anchored up stream from a dam spill way. Was concerned that anchor would drag and I would go over the spill way.
Take a look at page 194 of the chart link in my first post, between mile 604 and 605 there is a cove on the north side of the channel I would consider an
anchor spot. I did anchor at mile 585 next to I75 bridge OUT OF THE CHANNEL.
Rankin cove mile 428.
mile 477.5
mile 532.5 up lowe branch.
Also anchored at Goose Pond marina mile 377.
Also anchored behind goat island.

How much chain on the anchor?

If you go into a marina for the night they will extract money from you based on boat length.
A good estimate for cost would be $1.50 to $2.00 a foot.

Reactions: clifgray
#21 ·
Thanks for all the awesome info. I'll try to stay away from the marinas to save money on the trip.

As for my anchor I have a 9# Danforth with around 10' of chain and something like 150' of rode.

#26 ·
"Vertical Clearance at Pool Stage and the other is Vertical Clearance at Regulated H.W." Normal level vs flood/high water. On the up river side of a dam water can only get as high as the top of the dam. Pretty sure that pertains to regulated high water.

#27 ·
Thanks for all the help!! My friend and I made it successfully to Chattanooga last night around 8:30PM. A couple mishaps along the way, ran out of fuel once which caused us to drift up into the mud, caught some heavy wind around mile 575 that about blew off the bimini cover, and finally had the outboard kick the bucket 22 miles from home (just close enough that the tow from BoatUS was totally free!) but we made it and learned a lot about the boat. Looking forward to more adventures on the Tennessee River!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.