Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2006

gc1111 is on a distinguished road
Empressa,
My hard-won experience, spanning about 10 years of cruising and radio use on both marine and ham bands, would be this advice.

Stick to the marine bands.

Unless you are willing to learn and follow the rules ham bands will be useless to you, generate a lot of antagonism and maybe even prosecution.

Get a Marine only SSB transceiver and read the book that will come with it. That should be sufficient.

Goodbye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2006

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Empresa-
"I personally do not care all that much for the rules/regs of the country"
"What actually works, for God's sake?"

You already got the answers. You wanna use what you got? You don't care about the rules? Great, just sit down and USE THE RADIO. Have a good time.

Ignore the answer you got from several of us--to just buy a satellite phone and use it. You think that because you bought a radio, you've got a god-given right to use it and have it work? ROFL, good luck with that. Throwing a tantrum and telling people you don't care about the rules of a society, any society, will just get you ostracized and eventually jailed. Lucky for you, the FCC would rather seize your boat and bank account than bother paying for your board in a jail. Of course, once you are outside the US, there are plenty of other national radio authorities who *would* rather put you in a cell for unauthorized radio operations, but we already know, you don't care about that.

Did I mention, have a good time?
Old 11-20-2006

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Answer to your question(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by empresa
Crap,

I thought all you vaunted (and learned) types would be able to graciously and masterfully be able to eludicate me in a moment.
Apparently, I have yet again been caught in naivitae...
I AM NOT INTERESTED IN WHOSE KNOWLEDGE CAN TRUMP ANY OTHERS'.
Maybe someone with practical and pragmatic knowledge will join us here?
For those of us that actually cruise the oceans and make passages, this well found and tactile (pragmatic) knowledge I seek (assuredly HARD-WON) would in practice, and disseminated in a less high handed manner (IMHO) portend towards the safety af all.
(What a pile...)
I personally do not care all that much for the rules/regs of the country with the highest incarceration rate in the history of mankind, as I do the safety and comfort of any crew I happen to have aboard. AGAIN- I will ask, once! more, how in the hell do you utilise this expensive piece of equipment (esp in emergency sit.)? How does one commo with the land? What actually works, for God's sake? (I got green crew.)
Thanks again...
Your question(s) have already been answered thoroughly - not sure what it is you don't understand??? As far as the green crew, if I were one of them, I'd be more concerned with the skipper...
Old 11-20-2006

catalyst27 is on a distinguished road
in an emergency i would say this is ---- i do not have a license to operate this radio come arrest me that should get someone coming your way if that would help ....i would think that in a REAL emergency the fcc would not do more than slap your hand but the true issue is just like at the borders of the united states customs checks your equipment and send of the info to the fcc which in turns checks the records,,, then sends a letter asking for your license info
Old 12-21-2006

ruiz488 is on a distinguished road
I just read a couple of days ago that the FCC has dropped its requirement of
morse code proficiency( limited) for its amateur license requirements.

That applies also to marine SSB/AM units and its licensing.

The new rule will become regulation sometime early Feb/late Jan 2007 although it has already been approved.

Happy for all of us!
Old 12-21-2006

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Ruiz,

The FCC ruling applies ONLY to amateur (ham) radio. It will mean, when effective (probably in Jan 2007) that all classes of ham licenses can be had without the need for a Morse code proficiency exam.

There was never a Morse code requirement for marine SSB. There remains, however, the need for (a) type acceptance of the equipment; (b) operator license (no test); and (c) station license (no test).

Bill
WA6CCA
Old 12-21-2006
Take Five

mikeedmo is on a distinguished road
Jack Richards, W4QVA
Public Information Officer
ARRL / ARES
Southern Florida Section
Palm Beach County
W4QVA@arrl.net

FOR IMMIDIATE RELEASE

December 16, 2006

MORSE CODE REQUIREMENT ELIMINATED

In an official Public Notice made Friday December 15, 2006 the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) announce the removal of the MORSE CODE REQUIREMENTS from all amateur license classes. The release of the actual Report & Order which should provide details of this action including the effective dates did not accompany the release.

This long awaited news to the amateur community is expected to help stimulate interest and entry of new people into the ranks of amateur operators by allowing a more streamlined pathway to access to all of the amateur radio bands. The FCC originally eliminated Morse code requirements for the entry level TECHNICIAN class license in 1991 which allowed operation without code knowledge only on the bands above 30 mhz. These frequencies quickly became popular for localized emergency operations and are the backbone of the Amateur Radio Emergency Service which serves so well in South Florida during hurricane and other emergency applications. Many of the ARES operators are of the Technician class.

Upon implementation, this new ruling will give Technician class operators immediate limited operating privileges in the other amateur bands as well as a more “knowledge only” based pathway to the General and Extra class licenses. This is important not only to the hobby but to the emergency services operations as it is these “lower” bands that have the long range “skip” properties that allow extreme long range DIRECT communications. The ability of emergency managers to utilize even Technician class licensees in these operations will give a new level of flexibility for emergency communications needs.

With this hurdle out of the way, it is hoped that many members of the general public who have always seen “Ham Radio” as interesting but just requiring too much dedication to achieve entry may now see this as an exciting new hobby that is easily within their reach, as well as being able to provide an active role in an emergency if desired. Local ham clubs are already planning training sessions for interested new participants for early 2007. Anyone interested in more information on Amateur Radio and becoming part of this great adventure is encouraged to visit www.arrl.org for general information. For information concerning local opportunities interested parties can email w4qva@arrl.net for further information.

###

Old 12-21-2006

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Catalyst?
"but the true issue is just like at the borders of the united states customs checks your equipment and send of the info to the fcc which in turns checks the records" Don't believe it until someone at the FCC can tell you whose job it is to do that. The FCC doesn't care who owns equipment--they only care who operates it, and how. Unlike China, under the Federal Communications Act, basically any US citizen can own any radio receiver or transmitter they like. You just can't press the transmit button any time you please.
Old 08-14-2007

PilotMike is on a distinguished road
Regarding Amateur (Ham) licenses, which level of license would be acceptable (useful) for use at sea? Would a Technician license give me access to enough amateur bands to make day/night voice (and possibly packet/email) communications with shore based hams?
Old 08-14-2007

Mike-
You want to go for the General Class license. Tech buys you mainly VHF and above, which is typically short-range communications, plus some 10meter communications which, again, is not going to buy you "high seas" operations very often.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.