SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

new dinghy

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  rckfd 
#1 ·
#2 ·
While I see no practical application yet, I think it's pretty cool that they've conquered the technology. There was a "jet pack" company several years ago that made all sorts of claims. I even went to see a demo and it was a complete fraud. It was a gas powered engine, turning fan blades and didn't get more than 2 ft off the ground and only moved around with a spotter holding on.

The problem with all these concepts is returning to a safe landing, upon catastrophic failure. An airplane with glide, even most helicopters will auto-rotate. The jet pack I referenced above seriously thought a pogo stick type device would break your fall. Come on.

#5 ·
I'm thinking it's fake too. Lots of power coming from someplace mysterious, and something needs to direct that thrust or you'd be nose diving. Not adding up, could be wrong?

Now say it is real. Let's see, it's sun downer time and then a water world contingent of jet ski's comes by with this thing in the air sounding like an F15...how about a couple of drones to complete the ambiance? Talk about tying up at the marina with the all nigh disco!

Although I do admit, if it worked, it would be hard to resist taking a ride. Guess I cannot make up my mind, real or not, good or bad?

#7 ·
The thing I can't figure out is where is the power coming from.

That is a very small package and to levitate a grown man has to take more than a couple of HP with losses.

It does seems unlikely.

#8 ·
There are many reputable news organization (ie CNET) reporting on this. Some/most have a cautious tone, as the owner is not taking interviews, nor providing details. However, I've not found any that claim it to be a hoax yet. Usually, the scams like that artificial gill have quite a few sites that point out the hoax and try to prove their case. Obviously, having video is substantiating their case, but even if that was faked, there are those that know how to tell.

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

#11 ·
Do none of us remember James Bond in the 60ties (maybe I'm the only old fart on here) was it thunder ball or gold finger that he made his escape using the jet pack? I saw that live at expo 67 and at least one football game live. I don't see this thing any different sounds the same just different placement of the jets. The tec is old and probably the same problem of fuel consumption being so great it's not very useful with flight times of only a minute at the most...

is it ever going to stop raining?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.