Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Saw USS Enterprise in Lisbon

The week before last, the USS Enterprise visited my home town of Lisbon, Portugal. I took some photos and videos with my cell phone at about 300 yds from it!!!!! (I got permission via channel 16, from our Maritime Police, our coast guard, to get as near as 300meters, but I admit I got a little closer, and nothing hapened, the Portuguese Navy had a small inflatable motoring around it and they kind of were showing how close we could get). We could see the sailors on deck, come see us and saying hello!!!

Talk about big!!! As you get up closer, it just amazes me the size of these things.

It was anchored in the Tagus river, perpendicular to the river, and occupied half of the channel!!!

I sailed near it the day it arrived, Nov 7th and accompained it to see the day they left, a thursday.

The day they set sail, they had these helicopters flying around in circles (around 10 mile radius), they would fly in our bow sideways and we waived. The guys in the helicopter side doors waived back at us, and the downwash from their rotors made our sails go crazy. Me and my wife found them very nice and very friendly. They were just having a good time, they deserve after coming from war.

It was really cool, to see representants of a Nation that is at War (Portugal is helping also but with a small contingent, because we are so small, ehehehe), beeing so kind and friendly.

Today, when half the of World is so pissed off with the USA, I think it is good to see the "might" be so nice and friendly when they visit a foreign Country, helps increase public opinion about the whole mess this war is causing.

Congratulations USA, for being so well represented and for showing how such a destroying power can also be friendly.

Shame the Enterprise is going to be disactivated, can anyone say if its going to be destroyed or made into a museum.

Sorry the photo is not too good!!DSC00016.JPG

DSC00018.JPG
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2006

sailingforever is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sailingforever Send a message via MSN to sailingforever
That's a very interesting story, Giulietta!
Old 11-19-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Smile Why can't you sail??

You actually take your boat off the water for the winter??

Why?? Ice? Snow? Cold?? Strong weather?

I bet with only half a year in the water your boats must be almost new, like the Scandinavians. You can get a boat there (for us in Europe) for half price, only half sailed.... ehehehehe.

(Hallberg Rassy excluded!! They are expensive in the water or out, sailing or not. But so uninteresting they are, only few buy them, very strong boats tough.)

Anyway, next time I go out, I will take a few seconds and dedicate some knots to you "half years".

Good news. Only 5 months till April!!!
Old 11-19-2006

sailingforever is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sailingforever Send a message via MSN to sailingforever
yes, unfortunatly we do.
Snow, Ice, cold, all the stuff that would prevent safe and delightful sailing.

Bad news. some people think that five months without sailing is extremely long.

Last edited by sailingforever; 11-19-2006 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-19-2006

Bluewater4us is on a distinguished road
Except for us in the south we continue to sail. kwel pics of the enterprise. My new boat is in Charleston Harbor at Patriot's Point right next to the naval ships. I feel so small and insignificant next to them. Plan on heading further south come January
Old 11-19-2006

empresa is on a distinguished road
I simply hope that, through the results of this latest election in the U.S., that all other nationalities may realise the truth- that we are all not bloodthirsty, warlike, warmongers- as one might rightfully assume from recent actions taken. I apologise for my part, and ask that I may be again viewed as a human being, rather than a willing participant in this latest adventure.
Old 11-20-2006
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Oh God! The Dixie Chicks are on Sailnet! Can the end be far off?
Old 11-20-2006

Can you explain?

Sailaway21, can you explain?? I did not find them.
Old 11-20-2006

maolan is on a distinguished road
Can you explain

How did your bowsprit and genny get torn off? Were you using the genny at the time? Why would you fly a genoa in 50 kt wind and 40 ft seas?
Old 11-20-2006

maolan is on a distinguished road
its a really very TALL story!!!!!!