Is sailboat ownership dying ( or at least sick) - SailNet Community
 184Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 230 Old 05-09-2016 Thread Starter
cdy

Is sailboat ownership dying ( or at least sick)

I live in Florida - my observation is based on what I see here

I think big boat ownership is doing OK - however under 35 feet there seems not much to be going on. Used to be when crossing the St Johns River in Jacksonville on a nice day I would 6-8 sailboats out - now lucky to see one. On the intracoastal in Cocoa - I see large boats heading north and south 35 ft -50 feet - some newer cruising catamarans - but I don't see 22-30 ft boats like I use to out for a day sail. In the marinas the smaller boats don't seem to get much usage or love.

I think many just charter when they want to go sailing - owning a boat and the $$ that it takes to keep it up - seems wasteful to most.

But again - my observations from Florida - is it the same elsewhere?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 230 Old 05-09-2016
Senior Moment Member

Re: Is sailboat ownership dying ( or at least sick)

Your observation is correct in my experience. It will come back when gas gets expensive again.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #3 of 230 Old 05-09-2016
The most female moderator

Dock

I don't see it as the case on the Chesapeake where I boat. Even in winter there are boats sailing. Quite a few hardy folks who are members of this forum enjoy bay day sailing in the winter.
oysterman23 likes this.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.

post #4 of 230 Old 05-09-2016
Old enough to know better

Seems to me that while the sales of new sailboats is apparently down, that the marinas still seem fairly full and at least around me with a good percentage of sailboats. But every year folks are saying the end of sailing is neigh. I think it will survive, and there are some good vlogs out there from young sailors that should encourage the kids to buy a cheap old boat and sail the barnacles off the bottom. I would say here in the Hudson Valley (just north of NYC) there are lots of folks still sailing.
oysterman23 likes this.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #5 of 230 Old 05-09-2016

If sailboat ownership is dying, I say great!

More and cheaper boats on the second hand market, cheaper slip and mooring rates, and less crowded waters. What's so distressing about that?

I'm lucky to sail in an area that sees very little boat traffic and I'd like to keep it that way!

freddyj likes this.

Last edited by caberg; 05-09-2016 at 03:40 PM.
post #6 of 230 Old 05-09-2016

I guess everything counts. People recovering for the 2008 crisis and gas prices so low are doing people buy motorboats. Even sailboat makers see this tendency and started building motorboats in detriment of sailboats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
... cheaper slip and mooring rates, and less crowded waters.
I seriously doubt that, but I wish...
post #7 of 230 Old 05-09-2016
Just another Moderator

I suspect what you're seeing has as much (or more) to do with families needing two incomes to make ends meet, with job and other demands on peoples' time making recreation less attainable. Plus it's easier to buy/rent a tent trailer and go on a road trip than to figure out how to sail a boat.

Another head scratcher is the sheer number of boats that are in the marina, covered in green and birdsh*t, and never leaving the dock. In our area presumably someone is still paying $4-5K/year to 'keep' something they clearly never use.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #8 of 230 Old 05-09-2016
Cruising at a snail pace

Seems to be the same number of boats out in my area as before and the mooring field is pretty much sold out for the season.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #9 of 230 Old 05-09-2016

Is ownership dying ? From my observations in Connecticut perhaps not yet but only because the owners themselves haven't died yet.
Sailboat owners as a demographic seem to be getting older not unlike the classic car hobby. Case in point , this past weekend I went to rhinebeck ny for a car show swap meet, and there is a booth at the entrance that rents jazzy power scooters, same car owners , just aging without anywhere near the numbers of younger generations coming into the hobby to replace those that pass on or are infirmed and unable to be involved any longer.
Boating as a whole seems to be doing well, but the bulk of younger and those with young families it seems gravitate towards smaller power boats. No storage , park it on the side of the garage , drop it in the river, lake , bay, etc, hit the key whiz around , waterski, pull the kids on the tube , load up bring it home , nice and easy . Not that they couldn't buy a trailer sailor, but I don't care how quick it is to step that mast , the thrill for most is pushing that throttle open and skimming across the water.
Same situation at the yard my boat is in , same people for the most part just getting older.

1994 Catalina 320
Noank ct
post #10 of 230 Old 05-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I suspect what you're seeing has as much (or more) to do with families needing two incomes to make ends meet, with job and other demands on peoples' time making recreation less attainable. Plus it's easier to buy/rent a tent trailer and go on a road trip than to figure out how to sail a boat.

Another head scratcher is the sheer number of boats that are in the marina, covered in green and birdsh*t, and never leaving the dock. In our area presumably someone is still paying $4-5K/year to 'keep' something they clearly never use.
I've been seeing this trend in almost all the marinas I've frequented to... many boats covered in algae, dirt, bird poop, etc. Never seen 75% or more of the boats ever going out. When I had my U.S. Yachts in the Everett marina only about 4 -7 boats ever left the slips besides myself. No one left and most were live-a-boards, the rest were power boats and the occasional other month usage of these boats. It makes you wonder why people buy into these things and the dreams fade away for many.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.