The movie "All Is Lost" - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 05-12-2016 Thread Starter

The movie "All Is Lost"

Watching this movie "All Is Lost" right now for the first time. What a crock. Why didn't he have an EPIRB on board?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 05-12-2016

Re: The movie "All Is Lost"

o its a great movie I liked the part when i went to the kitchen and fixed a bag of popcorn and he had an ERIRB it was under his shaving kit
Skipper Jer likes this.
post #3 of 26 Old 05-12-2016

Its really not a bad movie....................It is a horrible movie.
radly53 and flyingwelshman like this.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.

post #4 of 26 Old 05-12-2016

My wife and I watched All is Lost and Gravity in the same week. We thought they were almost the same movie, except that Gravity was well done and All is Lost was poorly done. (And of course, the ending of Gravity might have been less ambiguous.)

As to All is Lost, we understood that it was not intended to be a movie about sailing, but rather about one man's struggle against increasingly powerful (and bitter) adversity.
Even so, you just don't get to make up stuff that is already known -- you gotta get the sailing right. And they could have, I think it was just more expedient to their "drama" to do it their way. A waste of brilliant actor's talent and a nice boat.
oysterman23 likes this.
post #5 of 26 Old 05-12-2016

Yeah, but this is a tough crowd. It was not meant as a sailing movie. It is like watching ER or Chicago Med with doctors and nurses, or watching Backdraft with firemen. Or, it's like watching any movie with guns, with somebody who....well...who actually knows something about guns: "That gun he's using only holds 8 rounds and he just fired it 15 times."

So for people who aren't sailors, and who don't know about EPIRBs, and who don't know that most cruising sailors have as many as 4 or 5 types of radio communications as back-up, it is probably a suspenseful movie.

I live in the Midwest and I know lots of people whose idea of boating is to take a 16 foot bass boat out on a 300 acre lake for an afternoon of fishing. When I tell them that I intend to spend much of my retirement on a sailboat on the ocean they respond as if I had said that I have a plan to swim the ninety miles from Florida to Cuba.

There is a huge number of people who have no idea what cruising sailing is all about. For them, that movie would be thrilling.

I'm also thinking about the movie director, if he had a true cruiser sailor to serve as technical advisor on he movie:

Director: "Ok, the movie script calls or the guy to be stuck at sea with no means of communication, in a situation where he is completely helpless and requiring him to rely solely on his survival skills right up until the point where he has no options left and has to give up any hope of survival".

Technical Advisor (TA): "Well, there is no way that could happen."
Director: "Well say his radio gets wet."
TA: "Well he'd use his SSB radio to alert sailor's net."
Director: "Well, let's say that gets wet too."
TA: "Well, he'd use his SAT phone."
Director: "Well, say that gets wet also, or he doesn't have one for some reason."
TA: "Well, that's unlikely, but he'd get out his handheld back up VHF from it's waterproof box and call a passing freighter."
Director: "Ok, well, let's say that got wet or he doesn't have one for some reason."
TA: "Well, that is really unlikely and just wouldn't happen. But he'd still have his EPIRB that he could trip and it would relay a distress call via satellite from anywhere in the world that would report his exact location to a worldwide emergency response system."
Director: "Hmmm, I didn't even know they had those. Well that really ruins the whole story. But we already bought this book and I have to make this movie. Most people probably don't know about those EBURP things. We'll just say that they don't exist or he didn't have one for some reason."

I can imagine some conversation like that.

Last edited by midwesterner; 05-12-2016 at 05:39 PM.
post #6 of 26 Old 05-12-2016

After all the stupid, obvious mistakes thatbhe made, I was SO disappointed that he survived. I mean, really, setting a fire IN your inflatable? ? ? Really!
post #7 of 26 Old 05-12-2016
Cruising at a snail pace

I liked it. But then I knew it was a movie and not a documentary.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 26 Old 05-12-2016
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
Yeah, but this is a tough crowd. It was not meant as a sailing movie. It is like watching ER or Chicago Med with doctors and nurses, or watching Backdraft with firemen. Or, it's like watching any movie with guns, with somebody who....well...who actually knows something about guns: "That gun he's using only holds 8 rounds and he just fired it 15 times."

So for people who aren't sailors, and who don't know about EPIRBs, and who don't know that most cruising sailors have as many as 4 or 5 types of radio communications as back-up, it is probably a suspenseful movie.

I live in the Midwest and I know lots of people whose idea of boating is to take a 16 foot bass boat out on a 300 acre lake for an afternoon of fishing. When I tell them that I intend to spend much of my retirement on a sailboat on the ocean they respond as if I had said that I have a plan to swim the ninety miles from Florida to Cuba.

There is a huge number of people who have no idea what cruising sailing is all about. For them, that movie would be thrilling.

I'm also thinking about the movie director, if he had a true cruiser sailor to serve as technical advisor on he movie:

Director: "Ok, the movie script calls or the guy to be stuck at sea with no means of communication, in a situation where he is completely helpless and requiring him to rely solely on his survival skills right up until the point where he has no options left and has to give up any hope of survival".

Director: "Well, say that gets wet also, or he doesn't have one for some reason."
TA: "Well, that's unlikely, but he'd get out his handheld back up VHF from it's waterproof box and call a passing freighter."
Director: "Ok, well, let's say that got wet or he doesn't have one for some reason."
TA: "Well, that is really unlikely and just wouldn't happen. But he'd still have his EPIRB that he could trip and it would relay a distress call via satellite from anywhere in the world that would report his exact location to a worldwide emergency response system."
Director: "Hmmm, I didn't even know they had those. Well that really ruins the whole story. But we already bought this book and I have to make this movie. Most people probably don't know about those EBURP things. We'll just say that they don't exist or he didn't have one for some reason."

or its about how far a director editor tests credibility and how cavalier he can be with the sense of time established by the rest of the film....in the scene where he is sinking/drowning/ suddenly able to surface. I think credibility is tossed to the wind and we are expected to embrace the caprice of a pretentious and unseasoned editor. Fritz Lang ask something from his audience but never abused the trust!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 26 Old 05-12-2016

Quote:

Or how about that movie where the guy heads out into the Alaskan wilderness without proper equipment or experience or training or research, and he dies because he didn't have any of those things. Yeah, that couldn't happen...except that it did happen and that's why they made a movie about it.

I watched this movie long after it was panned here on sailnet and elsewhere. I was pleasantly surprised that it really wasn't all that bad, in my opinion. The reason, as you said earlier in your post, was that it wasn't really a sailing movie. The boat and the water were just a backdrop for the real story, just like "Into the Wild" wasn't about the Alaskan wilderness.

Ironically, "All is Lost" would have been far worse if there had been more sailing. As it was, I'll give it a 6.5. My opinion only.
post #10 of 26 Old 05-12-2016
Master Mariner

Quote:

Golly gee, how did I ever manage a circumnavigation under sail without one single item you mentioned in your scenario?
Skipper Jer, scratchee and seabeau like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.