SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

One if by land, two if by sea...

716 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  TQA 
#1 ·
Theoretical question, seeking your opinion.

If you bought your dream boat, and it was in another part of the country, AND you did not have time to sail it home yourself....

Also, for this hypothetical, lets say that shipping or delivery skipper service are about the same price.

You are patient, so the time required is not a big difference maker.

---

Would you prefer to decommission/truck/recommission your sailboat or have a captain/crew bring it home for you? Real question is, which has a higher chance of damaging the new baby?

I'm wrestling with this as we are putting an offer and would need to get a boat from Miami to NC, so your feedback is really appreciated -

#2 ·
Hard to believe the price would be comparable given that the delivery on her own bottom would seem to be a simple trip for a delivery skipper. However given your hypotheticals, trucking her must carry less risk.

#3 ·
As someone who has been a professional delivery skipper much of his life with absolutely no serious damages to any vessel I've delivered, I would recommend one if by land, hands down.
If nothing else, it comes down to wear and tear.
If moving a vessel on her bottom was the way to go, Dock Express and the others would not exist. Most who use that service can well afford the best skippers and have mega insurance on their boats, but ship their vessels across oceans regularly.
If money is not the object, then I can see not one single good reason not to ship your new love.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.