Need surveyor recommendation: Annapolis/Deale areas - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 05-30-2016 Thread Starter

Need surveyor recommendation: Annapolis/Deale areas

Hi all,

I'm happy to say that my offer on a 2001 Catalina 34 MkII was verbally accepted this evening (paperwork to follow). I need to get a surveyor real fast. The broker has provided some suggestions, but you know what they say about following the broker's suggestions for a surveyor.

Please provide some recommendations. I'll be calling in the next day or so, as your recommendations come in.
JimMcGee likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
PO of 1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (new owners relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
1991 17' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-30-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Need surveyor recommendation: Annapolis/Deale areas

Steven B. Mason - Accredited Marine Surveyor - 1999
Mason Marine Surveyors, Inc.
323 Queen Anne Road
Stevensville, Maryland 21666
410-643-8707 -O, 410-643-8705 -Fax
masonmarine@verizon.net

Used him on my boat. Also for our lightening strike. Other friends of mine have used him. Professional and will detailed explain to you. Will work for you.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #3 of 17 Old 05-30-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Bonus is a nice boat it looks like. Air, low engine hours, plenty of room. My god your going to have a chartplotter even. Great choice, hope she surveys well.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #4 of 17 Old 05-30-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Bonus is a nice boat it looks like. Air, low engine hours, plenty of room. My god your going to have a chartplotter even. Great choice, hope she surveys well.
Hate the name. We will change it.

Engine very low hours.

Cockpit canvas needs some work. Hoping restitching and new glass will give it some continued life.

Interior looks very very good. No signs of any moisture damage in any of the wood on the walls, bulkheads, or cabin sole. (Very unusual - virtually all Catalinas we've seen show water stains somewhere.)

Bottom paint totally gone (apparently cleaned off by the yard). Bottom is VERY smooth, but obviously needs paint.

Hoping for a good survey. She's sat on the market for 18 months (overpriced so no lookers). Never even came up on my searches because my price range filtered it out. They finally came down in price and have gotten some traffic through recently, but I made the first offer.

PO of 1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (new owners relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
post #5 of 17 Old 05-31-2016

I am a big fan of Bob Skord as a surveyor. 443-871-5588. His approach is technical and detailed.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #6 of 17 Old 05-31-2016
Bluenoser

This surveyor is located across the bay in Chester, but I highly recommend her:
Catherine C. McLaughlin Marine Surveyor
5839 Clam Cove
Rock Hall, Maryland 21661
410-708-6035 -O & Cell

When you live a thousand miles away from the boat you are thinking of buying, you need someone you can trust to look after your interests...for me that was Catherine McLaughlin. I knew I had the right surveyor when I mentioned her name to the broker and he replied "Oh...her!". She was thorough and I still refer to that pre-purchase survey when I need the serial # or the model of some of the running gear.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-31-2016

I may borrow your thread since I'm awaiting that call to say "yes, your offer has been accepted" Will need a surveyor in the same area soon enough. Good luck on the 34. That is the boat I'm dreaming of, but my finances don't stretch that far yet. I looked at a 34 MKII a couple of weeks ago in Havre De Grace, MD. Gorgeous boat and those 6' lazarettes are awesome. I think the asking was $84K

This one:
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2003...s#.V02NMTUrK70

Last edited by gigamanx; 05-31-2016 at 09:10 AM.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-31-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
I may borrow your thread since I'm awaiting that call to say "yes, your offer has been accepted" Will need a surveyor in the same area soon enough. Good luck on the 34. That is the boat I'm dreaming of, but my finances don't stretch that far yet. I looked at a 34 MKII a couple of weeks ago in Havre De Grace, MD. Gorgeous boat and those 6' lazarettes are awesome. I think the asking was $84K

This one:
2003 Catalina 34 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
That one is under contract, and was out of my price range anyway. Even though it was under contrat, Paul was going to let us see it Saturday just as a reference (since I had never been on a C34), but the surveyor came right as we arrived at Tidewater. If we didn't like the layout we would have aborted our trip to Deale, but we continued down there since it was the closest C34 we could see. The layout addressed all the concerns we had over the C320 that we had chartered a week before, and condition looked good overall, so we went for it.

We've been saving up for this for 6 years. Nothing wrong with starting with a smaller, less expensive boat. Our nest was not empty enough the past 6 years for us to enjoy a larger boat, but it's time now for us to have fun.

Just remember, purchase price is just the "initiation fee." The "member dues" are what really kill you with larger boats.
chef2sail and seabeau like this.

post #9 of 17 Old 05-31-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
...I knew I had the right surveyor when I mentioned her name to the broker and he replied "Oh...her!"
I would like you to clarify this a bit before I consider her. While I certainly don't want a surveyor who lacking in thoroughness, I can imagine it's also possible to find someone who goes overboard and/or has the wrong attitude. While the survey needs to be complete, honest, and impartial, it should not become adversarial. I can imagine that there may be surveyors who the brokers hate...and for good reason.

So if anyone else has an opinion of Catherine McLaughlin, please speak up now. Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

post #10 of 17 Old 05-31-2016
Bluenoser

I simply meant that Ms. McLaughlin is known as very thorough and competent and not likely to miss the smallest fault. I sent you a PM about my experiences.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.