SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Need recommendation for cockpit canvas near Rock Hall

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Donna_F 
#1 ·
My soon-to-be-acquired boat is moving toward survey. I expect that cockpit canvas (dodger, bimini) will need some restitching, new zippers, patches, and new vinyl (if not total replacement for the whole thing).

I've found a few canvas shops in Annapolis, and of course Lippincott in Delran, NJ. Is there anyone good in Rock Hall/Chestertown area? I'd rather not have to trek all the way to Annapolis twice for this. Lippincott is closer to my house, but in the wrong direction and nowhere near my boat. Ideally Rock Hall would be best so they could come measure if they needed to.

Any recommendations? For stitching and stuff, someone who works out of their home might be fine, if they come highly recommended.

#3 ·
We are considering that for the future. But DIY projects can take a long time, especially when you have to buy equipment and materials from scratch. It's better as an off-season project. I know that my wife won't last an hour in the cockpit without a working bimini, so we need it to be functional from day one. So I'm looking for recommendations.

#5 ·
I would not recommend Rock Hall canvas. It is torture trying to contact John Wilson to get him to work on your stuff. There is another person, Victoria. The web address is canvasbyvictoria.com. I acutally saw her working on a boat at 6 am one morning in my marina because she cared that the owners had their canvas all done.

Ben

#6 · (Edited)
There is another person, Victoria. The web address is canvasbyvictoria.com. I acutally saw her working on a boat at 6 am one morning in my marina because she cared that the owners had their canvas all done.

Ben
Can't go wrong with Viki. I've known both Vicki and her husband Steve before she was involved in the canvas business in the Rock Hall area. She first apprenticed with Meade Breeze,another local sail maker, while they both lived on their boat, a 37' Southern Cross, at our Marina. She struck out on her own when they bought a place near Worton. I still see her once working on some of the boats here. She is a very friendly,energetic and conscientious person. As I said you can't go wrong with Vicki.
If you see her say hi for us. She'll remember us from her and her husbands dog training and pet supply business they once had many many years ago.

Clay and Leslie
S/V Tango
Lankford Bay Marina
Langford Creek

p.s. Their son is a former Navy S.E.A.L.

#7 · (Edited)
This is an old thread reopened but it gives me a chance to second the recommendation for Vickie.

Last year we purchased all new canvas from Vickie. She did an excellent job and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend her. I have a ton of emails from her with updates and answers to my questions. The week she was scheduled to install everything she updated us each day if she was held up by the weather and since it was also the week the boat was launched, she kept in contact with the marina to make sure it was in the water.

Really, the best time to get canvas work done is to get on the list in the fall for installation by spring launch. During the boating season is THE worst time to expect quick turnover. Vickie came aboard and got all of our measurements in the fall, worked on the canvas while the boat was hauled for the winter and did final fitting and installation when it was launched. Worked out well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.