Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2006
Rail Dipper

railsunderinca is on a distinguished road
Cool Need 22-27' strong boat- fast!

Got slip - need boat!

Name just came up for a slip (yes, years of waiting).
Need boat up to 27' (Trailer included would be nice) located in CA, OR, WA, NV, AZ.
Looking at Hunter, Catalina, Cal, Columbia and Ericson.

I've had tillers snap off Big Sur coast on 31' wood Tahiti catch (following seas & wind); knock down (real close but no cigar) off Pigeon Pt in wood 36' Choi Lee Lion (30' following seas & heavy wind - unintentionally caught wave); damn near sunk 27' home-made wood catch (no power) after 27 day "jaunt" to Hawaii; took knock down in plastic 21' ODay off coat of Guam (squal hit before I could reach sheet - "pilot error") and a multitude of other "mishaps" along the way due to equipmet or structural failures - snapped rudders, wisker poles, stays, etc. (and yes, a few "pilot errors".) Bottom line - I have a tendency to break boats.

I think I like Hunter and Catalina 27's. Never sailed either. Saw articles about Cat H2O ballast. Will it weather? Someone said NO.

I like hiked-in, heavy-weather, all-sheets-flying, rails-under-while tupperware fleet groupies are reefed-type sailing. But then, I like soft (not too) air, low swell,-don't spill my drink-salami & cheeze weather as well. You know, those days when you just want to cruise over to the Capitola Wharf, aanchor out and listen to the jazz band while enjoying a nice bottle of wine or a cold one on a warm summer day. That's not a Libra looking for a date kinda statement, it's just a statement. Married to 2nd degree black belt, thanks anyway sweetie. Just looking for a boat - in a hurry, that I can get in the water in the next 90 days - in Santa Cruz, CA. sunnysoquel@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2006
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
MacGregor, end of discussion!
Old 11-21-2006

cs22 is on a distinguished road
You want a Catalina 27

Never sailed California, But I have had my Catalina 27 on Lake Superior (and all the other Great Lakes) and it's a very good coastal boat, strong, sea-worthy, dry.... and there are lots available for very reasonable prices. You want a standard rig (not a tall rig) with an inboard (don't be afraid of the A-4, although newer boats usually have a universal diesel). The boat is on the outside of trailerable.

Tons of info on the association web-site http://www.catalina27.org/
also check http://www.blumhorst.com/catalina27/...nahomepage.htm
Old 11-21-2006
Rail Dipper

Snap!

While I like the roominess of a Mac I'm afraid I'd break it real fast. I don't think the keel is ready for side slapping swells in the Monterey Bay on a short, deep, choppy, high wind day. I think it might beat itself to death and I'd end up sitting or swimming in the middle of the bay hoping someone saw me lay it down. - just a thought. I haven't sailed one, so I could be wrong.
Old 11-21-2006
Rail Dipper

Leaning towards Catalina - cs22

cs22 - I have liked everything I've seen or heard about the Catalina 27. Had one (newer) parked next to us in Santa Cruz and really liked the setup. Like the beamy, roomy cockpit. Not too fond of inboards. DON'T do well with the smell of desiel whofting aroud the stern (or below deck under way) and don't like having to stick my head in the engine compartment under way either.
Old 11-21-2006
Rail Dipper

Mac is probably OK as light wind, easy short small lake sail kinda boat. I wouldn't bash any boat. After all, they got one - I ain't.
Old 11-21-2006

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Well, none of those boats above are particularly bullet proof, in fact almost all are on the fragile end of the scale. Your description of liking heavy air and light air sailing suggests that you need a boat that is a good over a wider than uusual range of conditions and easily adaptable as conditions change than these boats. You are in California making a moderately deeper draft fixed fin keel acceptable, useful and probably ideal. With your light air sailing goals I would suggest a larger rather than smaller sail plan (SA/D around 20 or so) and a lighter displacement (L/D well under 200) and a higher ballast ratio (somewhere approaching 40%), but which also means that you will need to get used to reefing as winds get up much over 15kts.

BTW the rig name is 'Ketch' not 'Catch' and if you are trying to do a search on Cheoy Lee, it is spelled as I have shown

Good luck,
Jeff
Old 11-21-2006

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
I mean no offense, but with your record of mishaps and "pilot errors" maybe you should consider taking up another sport, like golf. (You should also stay away from flying and skydiving!)

I strongly suspect this thread is a joke, but, if you're serious, then I don't recommend a Catalina 27 (even though I consider it a fairly rugged small boat that sails well.) You need a boat that is built so tough that it can survive the most dire conditions, without the intervention of human intelligence.

I like to race and sail rail down as much as the next guy, but smart sailors don't habitually break boats.
Old 11-21-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
Cheoy Lee, Pacific Seacraft, Contessa, all very strong boats... not the fastest horse in the barn but they'll get you there and back. But they're also going to set you back 25-40k. Good luck trying to put the rails in the water with any of these, they're ummmm, stiff. by the time you get the rails in the water, you'll have fired off the EPIRB. ok?

If you're really interested in a Catalina 27, I've got one for 10k, not negotiable I'm too tired and miserable to dicker on something that I don't really want to sell. Its in decent shape for a 30 yr old boat... its in better shape than I am... wait, that ain't saying much

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 11-21-2006

kennya is on a distinguished road
Paul; your not seriously considering staying ashore?