Grampian 26 Questions - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 78 Old 06-18-2016 Thread Starter

Grampian 26 Questions

Looking at a used grampian 26, it would need to be sailed/motored from past Boston down and around Manhattan eventually.

What should I be looking at on that model, in terms of typical pitfalls and weak points?

What's a good way to make that trip as well, and how challenging is that?

Finally, between those two spots, if I need to leave the boat as a transient or haul along the way, where are good recommendations?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 Old 06-18-2016

Re: Grampian 26 Questions

Can't say anything about the journey, but owned a Grampian 34 and have sailed 26s. They are solid, bare-bones, older boats. The issues you may have are common to most boats of this age. Most common issues will be to do with the deck. Water intrusion into the core is likely. Leaking deck flange, or just through the toe rail bolt holes. Unless the boat has suffered hard groundings, the hull is solid and very tough. Shouldn't be any problem. Standing rigging will need to be checked.

The nice thing about Grampians is that most structural components are easily accessible, so checking them is pretty easy.

Just remembered ... they made a drop-keel version. Have never seen one, but you'll need to check that whole mechanism if this is one.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
post #3 of 78 Old 06-19-2016

A friend of mine has one (26), I don't know the full background but he did replace a bulkhead this spring. Rotted out due to water damage.
I have no idea where the leaks were that caused the damage. He got a good bulkhead out of a scrapped boat.
Grampion 28 in the marina has some water damage from leaking chainplates.
I consider both instances to be owner and not boat related, any boat will leak if not maintained. Just something to check.
Grampion makes a good solid basic boat!

post #4 of 78 Old 06-19-2016

As to the trip, it's pretty easy. Down the coast past Boston to the Cape Cod Canal, through the Canal and then down Buzzards Bay. Then along the southern Mass/RI coast to the Watch Hill Passage or Race into Long Island Sound. Then west through the Sound to NY. Could be made in a couple of days in the right weather and with a crew that's willing to sail overnight. Maybe a week or so harbor hopping with a less experienced crew. Only tricky parts are the Canal and the WH Passage or Race. You have to time the currents. Lots of ports along the entire route to bail out if needed so you are never forced into a long hop in bad weather.

Last edited by JimsCAL; 06-19-2016 at 07:37 PM.
post #5 of 78 Old 06-19-2016

You may wish to do some research re the G-26 - here's the best link - Grampian 26 Home Page

Fantastic strong/fast/safe boats. Won our yacht club overall racing championship back in 2002 sailing a 1973 G-26. Many cruises across Lake Ontario with the grandkids.
post #6 of 78 Old 06-19-2016 Thread Starter

Just got back from taking a look... So:

Autopilot, tiller piston model, reportedly works.

Main is 5 years old, roller furling jib is a replacement from two years ago but was used when put on. Main sail cover is unfaded and appears in good shape.

The roller furling drum moves without binding and I didn't see any chafing on the line, but the powder coat is mostly worn away on the drum.

Running rigging in decent shape, standing rigging hasn't been replaced in at least ten years but is solid and clean without any broken strands I could find.

Batteries and electrical appear to work.

Digital raymarine depth and knotmeter work.

Very new compass in forward wall of cockpit.

Rudder replaced at some point with new.

Mariner 9.9 four stroke with supposed annual tune ups, charges batteries, electric start, runs and moves the boat around well.

Didn't get to sail it, which I hadn't really expected anyhow...

Stock water tank replaced with soft sided drinking water bladder, two years old.

Propane stove works.

Newer vhf radio needs to have antenna installed.

Head has a weird holding tank arrangement... Really not inland suitable as the holding tank doesn't have a shore pump out, but does run external water in, flush with macerator... But the tank will only really be emptied out while underway. This last isn't a huge deal, I can get a small toilet for emergency use while in littoral water.

Through hull fittings are at least partially replaced with updated plastics.

Bilge pump and breaker panel both work.

It was hauled, scraped, sanded and professionally bottom painted this past spring.

I didn't see any mildew or smell any mustiness down below.

Some gelcoat cracks, stanchions are firm, other hardware on deck had no looseness I could feel. Deck was solid to my best pressure, no odd shaped spots or softness.

Should I bother with a survey at this point, or is it not worth the $300-$400?

What price is fair? I've got an offer that's accepted as far as owner and ebay are concerned, felt pretty sure it was a decent bet, but thought I'd see what the collective hive here figured?

Thanks for the encouragement, all. I'm pretty sure I may have just bought my first boat
post #7 of 78 Old 06-19-2016 Thread Starter

What are the procedures for getting permission to run the cape cod canal?

When is the most opportune time to attempt the transit? I would assume an early AM slack tide window would be somewhat ideal, but I am not entirely sure what a local might suggest.
post #8 of 78 Old 06-19-2016

I had a Grampian 26 for about a decade. It was my first keelboat, and I liked it a lot. I can't think of anything peculiar to the Grampian 26 that you need to look out for. My main concern would be with any water intrusion in the deck, but that's my main concern with just about any boat.

I like the idea of getting a survey.

I'd probably want the surveyor to pay special attention to the mast support area. There is no conventional mast support inside the boat, as you're likely aware. The mast sits on a beefy (hopefully) beam and likely receives some support from the bulkheads. I'd want to know there isn't any water intrusion or other defects in that system. That said, I'm not aware that this is a weak point in the G26.

The bulkheads are formica covered, and the formica can hide rot. The chainplates are not attached to the bullheads, but of course, they're still structural. I'm not sure how you or a surveyor can tell what's under the formica. Tapping?

The chainplates have their own attachment glassed into the hull. It would be good to know the condition of the wood core of the chainplate attachments. Possibly remove a bolt and inspect the hole with an icepick? If rotted, and you aren't up for doing the repair yourself, walk away. If you're at all handy with glasswork, it shouldn't be a real tricky repair, though.

There isn't much else if anything that's hidden on a Grampian. If you're of a reasonable size, you can wiggle into all the spaces. Mine had some tabbing at the bulkheads when I got it, but that was a simple repair.

As part of the inspection, you might want to remove the tiller. Just need a couple wrenches. On my boat, the tiller had become rotted where it attaches to the metal hardware. Take it off, and see if there's any soft wood there...check inside the bolt holes. If rotted, you decide. I made a new tiller for mine.

I only had three gripes with my Grampian.
1. They're a little on the ugly side. They look nice under sail, though.
2. Too much weather helm.
3. The side decks are too narrow.

Those are just quirks the boat has.

The headroom in the cabin is "standing" for most people. As I recall, it had standing headroom even in the forward cabin. More than my current Catalina 28. Most of the ugliness of the boat is a result of that ample headroom in the forward cabin.

I liked the cutout in the transom for the outboard, as it made it extremely easy to access the engine controls and to use the engine's tiller in concert with the boat's tiller for handling in tight spaces. By the way, I operated my boat in the steep, tightly packed waves on Lake Michigan, and recall that the long shaft engine kept it's prop in the water very well. I remember one trip where we were motoring down the coast in tall waves with another, similar sized sailboat a hundred yards off our beam. On that trip, the prop occasionally exited there water, but at the same time, were were routinely able to get a good look at the fin keel of the boat next to us as it crested waves. I would rate the G26 very high in this regard.

I can't comment on what a fair price would be, other than not a lot. We're not talking about a Tartan, here. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to be selling one. I don't say that out of any disrespect for the boats, only that they aren't high on most people's want lists. And they're not the prettiest girl at the ball.

Nice boats. Good luck.

Last edited by Siamese; 06-19-2016 at 11:16 PM.
post #9 of 78 Old 06-19-2016

Nothing jumps out at me from your survey overview. Lots of good stuff in fact, but there will be issues. I'd be shocked if there aren't some soft deck issues, but as long as they are small (as suggested by your survey), they aren't a huge deal.

I won't hazard a specific number, but Gramps in my area sell in the small to middlin' thousand range. A really fine model (which this may be) could fetch close to $10K.

Sounds like you have good boat. Enjoy

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
post #10 of 78 Old 06-20-2016 Thread Starter

Did you mean in the $1500 range, or in the $5000 range?

Either way, I'm okay with the price, just wanted to get a sense of what the actual "value" might be.

My main feeling was that all the steps I've heard recommended seem to have been taken in keeping the boat updated: winches are replacement models, the sheeting arrangement for the main is run through a traveller across the cockpit instead of the fixed points on the stern, and it had the general look and feel of a boat that was and had been sailed consistently, which is far less concerning than the boat sitting on the hard for a year, or in a backyard for 10... the prior owner who still keeps it at his mooring offered to meet me part of the way through the passage to handle the transfer, which gives me a sense that they have confidence in the boat holding up under way.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.