Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2006

flicker is on a distinguished road
Shipping by Container

Hi, y'all,

I'm thinking of shipping my Mac 26 sailor and some other household stuff to Guam. Does anyone have any info on cost, reputable companies, container sizes or any other helpful information?

Thanks,
Flicker
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2006

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
I don't know what your mast height is, but containers are standardized and I'm not sure that the sailboat would fit. Internal dimensions for the 30 and 40 feet ones are:

L29 4/12 x W7 7/12 x H7 9/12
L39 4/12 x W7 7/12 x H7 9/12

There are high containers with one more foot of height available on some ships. If the Mac fits in one you might use some brokers to fill out the rest of the container, otherwise it will be all "yours" and can get quite pricey. I've used containers and RoRo for the European/US/Japanese routes but am not sure if Guam is served by normal shipping.

Much depends upon your current location. I had a case where it cost more to ship a partial container from Phoenix to Los Angelese via truck than the shipping from LA to Germany did! Where in the US is the Mac 26 going to be shipped from?

If you are associated with or have friend in any branch of the U.S. military there might be cheaper and faster ways of getting to Guam than using a commercial forwarder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-24-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I think the beam is going to be a problem.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-25-2006

flicker is on a distinguished road
Thanks, both of you. The boat on the trailor with the mast laid down is about 28'. The beam is about 7'6" but I'll have to check the exact spec. So the container is still at least a possibility. Then there is the question of the cars. And, come to think of it, perhaps the RoRo would be good for the boat too, since it's already on the trailor.

I'd be glad to get any other comments or ideas.
Old 11-25-2006

I used RoRo for glider trailers - 30" long, 5 5/12" wide and 6 8/12" high with no problem and it was more economical than finding a container to share.

Old 11-26-2006

paulk is on a distinguished road
If the beam is just a little too much, you could also try building a cradle that would hold the hull at an angle, so that the widest part of the boat would be on the diagonal in the container. Lots of variables with the flare of the topsides and the angles and height of the chine at the waterline might need to be verified to do this. The easiest thing might be to just build a template of the container opening out of four boards and see if you and a helper can slide it over/around the hull. Be sure the mast fits in too. We shipped a Hobie Cat to Kenya when I worked at Air France. The boat got there fine, but somebody in Nairobi apparently ran the mast over with a forklift.
Old 11-26-2006

mike dryver is on a distinguished road
flicker as some one who hauled and stuff containers i can tell you if your width is 7'6" or less you have no prob. the only prob. i can see is 1)tighing the boat down on the trailer. 2)securing it in the container. 3) balancing load.
if you are going to do this you need a 40" con. no such thing as a 30" in US. only 20', 40', 45', and 48' don't about 53's if i were going to leave on trailer i would block and brace trailer off floor so there is no weight on tires. also make sure it can absolutely not move, boat included on same!!!!!!!. i don't see an issue on beam or length unless i miss-underestimated your beam. you will need to secure in middle of cont. because if the load tips the agntry one way or another the port will usually refuse to load on ship. 3-5000lbs. i think is ok but check with your export broker. i think i notice you are in Mil. thank you for your service!!!!! sometimes Uncle Sam will ship for free at their discreasion. my brother had a Kaw. mtr. cycle shipped to Europe this way but it is/was on stand by service only yours maybe to big.
anyway good luck and again thank you for your service.
regards mike
Old 11-28-2006

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Flicker,
If you are talking a MacGregor 26X (or M) power-sailer then consider that they ship two at a time (trailer included) in a 40 foot trailer from the factory so one Mac is only a half full container. The beam on those boats is 7'10". You will need lots of household stuff to finish filling it. I believe those containers are 8'6" wide, outside dimensions.
Old 11-29-2006

mike dryver is on a distinguished road
Flicker inside dimen. width is 94" +- 1/2" out side is 96" also if you cannot stuff the whole cont. you can contact broker to see if they have someone else going in your direction to help fill cont. the other way to do this is let your stuff go as loose freight to a export shed and let them stuff your goods. then they are liable for any dmgs. the draw back is the may not be responsible for boat on trailer. and no one is responsible for sea conditions and dmgs caused by same. you have to put insurance on goods for that contingency. regards mike
Old 11-29-2006

The international standard 40 foot ISO container width is 2352mm (92.5 inches) and sometimes the door is somewhat smaller at 2340mm (92.1 inches). With your packaging or trailer and a vertical yacht this is going to be cutting it very close indeed.

If 2 boats are placed on a 40 foot trailer it cannot be on or in a container that can be transported by vessel. The extra tall high cube containers still do not give enough volume for 2 yachts of that beam and height.

One thing that is very important is your insurance. Cargo insurance is a really sticky subject and the first time I read the fine print I my blood pressure shot through the roof because I thought I was being ripped off. Even with an expensive policy ($2K or so) it turned out that almost nothing was covered. In the end I opted not to pay insurance and was quite lucky when nothing happened. But I subsequently got to know the cargo manager for a major Taiwanese cargo company in LA (one of the biggest containerports in the world) and he regaled me for hours with stories of lost and damaged containers and other related stories.
It pays to get a good agent involved to get both insurance and cargo location sorted out. An optimal position in the stacks is tough to ensure otherwise. Outside top containers occasionally go overboard, bottom-of-the-stack or outside containers sometimes get shrunk or suffer waterdamage.... the list of possible problems is pretty long. The ones that worried me most were having your container absorb some wonderful (and permanent) odors during transport particularly when crossing the equator or sailing in the tropics. Getting a "Linie Aquavit" is good for alcohol but crossing the equator next to a container full of decomposing natural products will leave your upholstery retaining the smell for a long time after trip

Last edited by Zanshin; 11-29-2006 at 11:47 AM.