SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

'Boatmade' medicins to cure seasick guests or crew?

3K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  hellosailor 
#1 ·
Just read the thread about how to have a nice drink in a fantastic sunset...
Great ideias :)

Then I remebered what this irish skipper told me regarding seasickness...
A mug half full of hot milk and the other half with black rum...
This was his secret success when casting off for another long leg in the atlantic!

Never try it though... never need it... It could be helpfull when you have new crew onboard...

Any onther secret tricks?

Fair winds!!

#4 ·
Hi Vascotx,

Ginger works for me

"About 1 gram of powdered ginger has been shown effective against motion sickness in double-blind studies. In Germany, up to 4 grams per day is recommended.

Start dosing the night before a dive; the beauty of the ginger is it's easy to obtain and had no side effects."

this quote is from
http://scuba-doc.com/moresea.htm

I like the candied ginger, takes some getting used to though as it is HOT.

#7 ·
The only problem with using ginger ale is finding one that has enough real ginger extract in it to be effective. Most of the brands you find in the supermarket are artificially flavored, and thus useless for treating seasickness. Ginger candy, ginger gum, gingersnaps also all work fairly well.

#8 ·
sailingdog said:
The only problem with using ginger ale is finding one that has enough real ginger extract in it to be effective. Most of the brands you find in the supermarket are artificially flavored, and thus useless for treating seasickness. Ginger candy, ginger gum, gingersnaps also all work fairly well.
Thus my recomendation to make your own.

#9 ·
The folks at NASA have done extensive research on motion sickness, because a sick astronaut is a major problem. They'd found nothing is effective in more than about 1/3 of the people who try it, but ginger is a rubificient, a product that opens up the capillaries and makes you blush, and that increases oxygen flow in the whole body. They think that is why it works so nicely.

Drinking a glass of half booze, any kind of booze, would seem to be a real dumb idea for seasickness since MOST folks get sick much faster if they have any alcohol in their systems. Ditto for milk, which could blow right back out of a queasy stomach. Sorry, but that recipe sounds to me like an evil clown trying to help discourage sailing.

I've used ginger (from the spice shelf, in powdered form, cheapest & purest way to get it, then stuffed into empty gelatin caps from the pharmacy, which are also cheap) and it works very nicely. Not as well as the serious meds by rx, but the only risk from ginger is a little heartburn or belching, and that makes it very much worth trying.

#10 ·
Actually, Mythbusters did an episode where the tested different motion sickness remedies, and the one that was most effective was ginger-based.

#12 ·
If you go to the health foods store you can get the good stuff. Many carry ginger beer (though it is non-alcoholic, as I recall). Does not really work well for me, but my wife swears by it. I just burp that crap up all night. Scope works very, very, very well for me... but you can kiss off reading, must be taken 24 hours before you shove off, and can make looking through binocs a bit tricky.

My rules are that everyone scope's up before we shove off for a serious jump... or don't go. Everyone gets sea sick... we all just have different thresholds.

#13 ·
CD-
Ask your doctor for an Rx for "Scopace". That's scopalamine in oral tablet form, it is back on the market again. Take one pill one hour before casting off, no need for the patch a day in advance. You can also regulate the dosage a bit better, i.e. by taking a whole or half pill, more or less frequently as needed, instead on monkeying around with removing and replacing or covering the patch.
(I could never get a good answer on whether the dosage should be adjusted for body weight, the doc seemed to think is was xx milligrams per pound of brain, and supposedly those are all about the same. I'd have figured the dosage should be adjusted some for blood volume or body mass...or just the individual user. If you hear any better on that, let me know.)

#14 ·
Hello,

If it works an hour before, i wonder if you could just pop it offshore before an impending storm? That would be nice, as I typically do not get sea sick except in bad storms for long periods of time. Also, once I get my sea legs, I don't need anything - which makes the patch nice and easy to remove. I wonder how long the pill lasts, what the side effects are (I guess the same), and why they took it off in the first place. I guess I could ask around.

THanks.

- CD

#15 ·
It is made by Hope Pharma and I have never heard of them and do not know anyone that works there. I would seriously doubt they have their own development team. I bet they just in-licensed and reformulated it for a different drug delivery. I will check them out and see if they are any good.

#16 · (Edited)
I know everybody swears by ginger, but we have had good success with a product call "Motion Ease". It is a liquid and you place drops of the liquid behind your ear lobes. It is than absorbed through your skin. Not sure what is in it, (Probably Ginger) it has a slight not so kind odor, but seems to work really well.
It even works if you're already nauseated.

(Not a boat made medicine)

#17 ·
CD-
If you go back 20 years, Scope was available OTC and sometimes simply on the shelf (in dive stores) as caplets, little time release balls in gelatin caps. Then some druggies started abusing it (or so the FDA and DEA claim) and they pulled it from the market. Hope Ph. brought it back ages ago, it's the same active ingredients but forumlated into a simpler, smaller, cheaper, plain pill instead of the capsules.
I can vouch for the product working effectively. I have no idea why you'd be concerned with whether you know any who works there--unless you can get me an employee discount rate?<G>

I've tried MotionEase. Disappointed vial of nonsense. Backed with a money-back guarantee, but like most snake oils they don't refund your two-way shipping and handling, and their s&h fee MORE than pays them for the cost of throwing out the stuff you send back. As a "floral" bouquet I found it also attracted bugs, worse than nothing at all. Ginger, wristbands, scop, releif band, all work for me. MotionEase...Nice to hear it works for at least one person out there. There's no ginger in it, read the ingredients, it is essential oils aka oils or perfumes. No proven mechanism for it working aside from "aromatherapy".

#18 ·
Hello,

Pharmaceuticals is what I do for a living... when I am not on sailnet that is.

My company places pharmaceutical scientists, primarily in the US, some Canada and NO EU if I can help it. I know many of the people out there (I hesitate using the word most) that make and formulate drugs. Some are good. Some are bad. THere are companies that I would not take a pill from if I were on my deathbed.

Remember a while back about you and I discussing the merits of wristbands and pregnant women? After what I have learned in clinical trials, I do not take ANYTHING (ANYTHING) unless I have to. So, when a company I have never heard of has a product on the market, I watch them with scepticism. You would not believe the stories I have heard. A bunch of those people should be (and are) in jail.

A word to the weary: Watch what you put in your body. Don't take it unless you have to. Everything (everything) has a side effect. Just because they "sound" reputable, does not mean they are reputable... and just because they have been in business forever does not mean they are worth a crap.

Ugh... no more of this talk. I get on sailnet to forget about work, not talk about it. Thanks for the lead on the scope.

#19 ·
CD-
Well understood. ask you to show me your Cynics' Union Membership Card, but you'll understand that as a life member, I have to check with the Union, I couldn't believe your card wasn't just a forgery.<G>

" Just because they "sound" reputable, does not mean they are reputable... "
So what else is new? (sigh) But in this case, Hope Ph. isn't inventing anything, they are just a "compounding pharmacist" more or less. Apparently the only ones who were willing or able to gamble on putting the product back on the tiny market for it.

On side effects...well, you know what WC Fields said about water, and he was right about that too.<G>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.