SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

trawlers ARE sailboats

2K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  deniseO30 
#1 ·
I've never really looked at trawlers on paper (plans) or water.

The seem to have evolved into the choice for "loopers"

It also kind of hints to me why some sailboats have been made into mastless motor boats.

Anyway, over on the Wooden boat forum, I started a discussion about this misunderstood by sail-boaters craft.

No.. no plans to get one or get back on the water. I just wanted to know more about them

See less See more
#3 ·
There's nothing nicer than relaxing in a thousand dollar helm seat, in a heated pilothouse with your favorite music playing, when cruising in the higher latitudes. Radar and GPS in a head's-up mode above the Clearview screen, coffee brewing at your elbow and the stabilizers keeping the rolling to a minimum.
There's a time and place for EVERY boat, and don't let any ragboat sailor tell you differently.

#13 ·
God intended radar to be head-up and charts (including plotters) to be North up. You just have to do the geometric convolution in your head on the fly. *grin*

My impression of motor sailers is that they are poor sailboats and poor power boats. A comfortable cruising sailboat or a trawler is a better choice IMO. With main furling and electric winches, many more are able to stay in sailing as they age rather than turn to the dark side.
Auspicious is, to my knowledge, the only boat of her make and model with a conventional full-batten main. Our plan it to put an Anderson compact-motor electric winch ( ANDERSEN Winches | Compact Motor Electric Winches - small and efficient ) on the mast when it all gets too hard.

#10 ·
Steadying sails make a lot of difference to rolling. There are a lot of trawlers or displacement hulls around here - converted fishboats are pretty common and some of them are pretty nice.

As noted, many sailors retire to trawler style boats.

If I could justify it I'd love a Grand Banks Europa.

#11 · (Edited)
Believe I know that norhavn motorsailers back story. Rumor has it it was built on spec. Went to the east coast shows and didn't sell. Never sold so although brand spanking new sat on the hard. After several years finally sold. Was commissioned a little over a month ago and finally left Barrington. Believe it sold well below initial ask. In fact think builder sold it for less than cost of production.

Heard critique of that design is it didn't sail well at all. Sails there just to decrease fuel consumption on reach/run and engine still needed to be always on. Straight norhavns power well with amazing range. Result sailors didn't want the boat and power folks wanted a real Norhvn, Fleming, Kady Krogen or the like if looking for a vessel like that. Neither fish nor fowl.

Believe it's very difficult to execute a really good motorsailer from what I've read and people have told me. . Easier to design a sail boat that motors well or a ultra efficient motorboat with maybe a steady sail. That's why you see the rise in power cats, daschews and their derivatives. Refinements in "traditional" trawler/troller hull design also continues so agree much to be said for them. Particularly if more efficient propulsion also evolves beyond current IC diesels.

#12 ·
My impression of motor sailers is that they are poor sailboats and poor power boats. A comfortable cruising sailboat or a trawler is a better choice IMO. With main furling and electric winches, many more are able to stay in sailing as they age rather than turn to the dark side.

#15 ·
Surprises me there are so few trawlers in the Caribbean.

Yes you would need a weather window or 2 to get to the Caribbean but ten it would be an enjoyable retirement.
The Caribbean is only 450 miles from the BVIs to Grenada. Easy for a trawler.

If you are stuck on the East Coast USA have a think about it.

Mark

#16 ·
Surprises me there are so few trawlers in the Caribbean.

Mark
Because they roll like pigs, both on passage when beam on to the Atlantic swell and in places like Prickly bay.

Stabilizers and flopper stoppers help but they still roll.

Beneteau motor catamarans might be the way to go. They are starting to appear in the cruising anchorages as well as being popular in the charter fleets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.