Converting Starboard Settee to Double Bed - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 07-04-2016 Thread Starter
Chattanoogan Sailor

Converting Starboard Settee to Double Bed

So I have some some scattered remarks about how to convert the starboard settee on a Catalina 27 to a double to give more room for sleeping. I have searched far and wide any only found a couple low quality photographs. Does anyone have a good how-to or decent photos of a setup where they've converted one a bench settee to a double?

The basics of what I want to do are get some sort of piece of wood that will pull out or flip out and have a foldable leg that allows the bed to fold out and be 2x the size of the normal bench.

I've attached a photo of what it currently looks like.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
20160501_185441.jpg  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-04-2016

Re: Converting Starboard Settee to Double Bed

I had a 27 Cat with an identical setup. I mere added a hinged board with an insertable legs that fit into a hole drilled in each end of the board. It worked very well for the five years I owned the boat. However, I had to remove the trim molding that held the cushion in place in order to make it all fit properly.

Gary
post #3 of 21 Old 07-04-2016 Thread Starter
Chattanoogan Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
I had a 27 Cat with an identical setup. I mere added a hinged board with an insertable legs that fit into a hole drilled in each end of the board. It worked very well for the five years I owned the boat. However, I had to remove the trim molding that held the cushion in place in order to make it all fit properly.

Gary
This sounds like just what I want. Any chance you have any photos of the setup from when you had the boat?

post #4 of 21 Old 07-05-2016

Not a 27ft boat but I have a system on my boat that may be of interest, no pictures at this time, sorry, but will try to describe because it's really simple.

A board of 16mm ply covers (lies on) the original bunk. On either end there is a strip of aluminium angle screwed to the bulkheads with the L down and out and level with the top of the additional board. So the board can be pulled out, sliding under the ali angle.

Under the leading edge of the sliding board, three fold-down legs support the outer end of the bunk extension when slid out. The mounting brackets on which the legs pivot are designed so that the legs go a little over-centre to prevent them accidentally folding away.

When not deployed, the cushions fit as usual, when deployed the backrest cushions fill the gap between the base cushions and the back of the bunk.

The only down side I can see for a small vessel is the the bunk becomes 40mm wider to accommodate the fold down legs. This may encroach more than is desirable into your passageway.

Hope this makes some sense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
post #5 of 21 Old 07-05-2016

Different boat. But like this:

Because there is a table there I do not need a fiddle. Why not just use the convertible table? Because this is MUCH easier to rig at night (the table is heavy and has stuff on it).

Instead of legs I have a wooden box/step that is shoved under it. Stronger, and it is only used on the cockpit during the day. I add a mattress topper for comfort and to cover the joint in the cushions, and a twin fitted sheet.

Writing full-time since 2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #6 of 21 Old 07-05-2016

Unfortunately, I never took any photos of the setup.

Gary
post #7 of 21 Old 07-05-2016

IIRC, the Catalina 27 with the traditional interiors came with gear to do just that. Have you checked with the Catalina 27 Association and their website, or even the old brochures from Catalina Yachts on their website under archived brochures?

Stu Jackson, Catalina 34, 1986, M25 engine, Rocna 10 (22#), Maple Bay, BC, Canada
post #8 of 21 Old 07-05-2016 Thread Starter
Chattanoogan Sailor

@pdqaltair that is a cool little setup. What do you do with the little extra pieces during the day? Just keep them there?

@Stu Jackson I couldn't find anything in the old brochures but I'll dig into some more old forums. The old Catalina 27 Association website is pretty broken these days. I don't think it has been updated in 8 or 9 years.
post #9 of 21 Old 07-06-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifgray View Post

@Stu Jackson I couldn't find anything in the old brochures but I'll dig into some more old forums. The old Catalina 27 Association website is pretty broken these days. I don't think it has been updated in 8 or 9 years.
Could be, Cliff, but for a 30-35 year old boat, 8 or 9 years means little. My boat is 30 years old and the information on our C34 website still is applicable. I wrote a lot of it myself. Good luck.

Stu Jackson, Catalina 34, 1986, M25 engine, Rocna 10 (22#), Maple Bay, BC, Canada
post #10 of 21 Old 07-06-2016 Thread Starter
Chattanoogan Sailor

Oh, rather than out of date I meant that the website just doesn't work anymore but I was finally about to find the brochures. Looks like the 1984 models started to off a starboard settee that pulls out. So no luck there but I did find some other good explainations:

From the Sailboat Owners Forums:

Quote:
I have a 1978 Catalina 27 that has a pullout starboard double berth. It was modified by the previous owner but it is an incredibly simple project. He used a piece of plywood the same size and width as the settee and added 3 removable legs that stow easily. it just pulls out until about 3 inches are still on the edge of the settee and there are two holes drilled that line up through the plywood and into the settee. There are two pins you drop in these holes to hold it in place. He also added teak trim to the front so when it is stowed under th cushion you can't tell it's there. The truth is though We never use it I'm 6'4" tall and it just isn't long enough. I really like the berth under the cockpit. Hope this helps
Then not a Catalina but some good photos of a similar project on a Hunter 27: Good Old Boat - Big beds on small boats article

So with that information I think I am going to do something like put a think piece of plywood under the starboard settee that can pull out and will have some cutouts for legs that I'll just put up on a shelf. But my main holdup now is where to put the mattress pad for the extended part of the bed... I'll be living on this full time so I'm trying to come up with a really convenient system. Any thoughts? I guess I could just put it in the quarter berth but I'll probably use that for other storage.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.