Mystery sail found in my boats spare parts - SailNet Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Guyfromthenorth
  • 2 Post By RichH

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-10-2016 Thread Starter

Mystery sail found in my boats spare parts

I'd post a picture but there isn't much to it really. I have a tanzer 7.5m with a 155% genoa on a roller. I was digging through my boat spare parts and found an odd sail.

It's taped for the furler. Is quite a bit smaller than my genoa. I first thought it might be a jib but it appears to have 6in battens in it?? Which means even though it will ride in my furler foils it can't be fully furled?

Do some jibs have battens like this or is this some kind of storm sail? It is quite a bit smaller than my genoa but I've never had a jib so I don't have much to compare it to. Any ideas?

SV Breezy's work-in-progress YouTube Channel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-10-2016

Re: Mystery sail found in my boats spare parts

Maybe for a different boat?

Battens on a storm sail would be unlikely. Sloops with overlapping headsails have little use for battens. Sloops with some restriction on overlapping headsails, by design or rule, may use battens to increase area and sail power aloft.

Not all sails with tapes are for furling: race sails for example.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
post #3 of 8 Old 07-10-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloof View Post
Maybe for a different boat?

Battens on a storm sail would be unlikely. Sloops with overlapping headsails have little use for battens. Sloops with some restriction on overlapping headsails, by design or rule, may use battens to increase area and sail power aloft.

Not all sails with tapes are for furling: race sails for example.
Fair enough, I guess it could be for a different boat that uses a tape line up the mast instead of slugs like mine. Well I think in a pinch it's a better sorta-storm sail for my boat because the shape of it really lowers the center of effort compared to my 155 genoa for sure. Maybe I'll try it out for fun this week. We have a 5 day sail planned.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old 07-10-2016 Thread Starter

Almost forgot, the sail does have jib sheets attached at the clew. So whoever or whatever ran it does appear to have used it as a headsail. No big deal, if I remember I'll take a picture of it up.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

post #5 of 8 Old 07-10-2016

Dock

There are plenty of idiots around who buy crazy stuff because they get some bee in the bonet about how salty it would be (see thread on not believing GPS and/or chartplotters).

As you say, stick it up and see what happens. But it sounds like boat clutter you can chuck overboard at some swap meet. How do u sell a useless piece of garbage? By telling a newby buyer its VITAL to have one and every REAL sailor has a few... Stuffed below outra sight.

You might get $1,000!

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

The Following User Says Thank You to MarkofSeaLife For This Useful Post:
Guyfromthenorth (07-10-2016)
post #6 of 8 Old 07-10-2016

The Tanzer 7.5 (24.5' LOA) used a ~90-95% LP jib with 3 small auxiliary battens along the leech.

Many 'planing hull lake boats' from Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Western New York (and Ontario), especially when sailed in high wind venues, have small aux. battens on non-overlapping jibs. These 'small' LP jibs, also have a 'roach' (convex curvature) added to their leech and the small aux. battens help to support the 'roach' of the small jib. If the battens hit the mast when tacking, .... not a problem as the battens will pass across.
This is a 'skimming dish lake boat' jib design that is still common and has descended from the Great Lakes / Upper Midwest super-fast 'skimming dishes' / Scows of the 1890s, and are still used in today's 'one-design' scow, etc. racing fleets. The fast 'Sandbaggers' of the NJ bays and the fast Chesapeake Log Canoes also used and still use battened/roached short LP jibs.

FWIW - The Tanzer 7.5 (24.5 ft. LOA), as an option, had such a battened and roached ~90-95% LP jib attached to a clubfoot (a jib boom attached to the forestay wire) that is used to make such short jibs self-tacking (w/ single sheet control).
If there are fairlead tracks that run 'across' your boat, the roached and battened jib probably has a large aluminum flat plate 'clew iron' drilled with 'multiple holes' and is attached to and is a substitute for the clew .... for multiple attachment points in order to set the correct clew/jib sheet (fairlead) angle ... this is used instead of a pressed-in clew grommet or clew D-ring. A double-block is usually shackle-attached to the 'clew iron' - for much better 'purchasing power' - solely by hand. No fore/aft jib tracks needed when flying this 'short' jib. The 'transverse' jib tracks do double duty as a 'barber hauler' ... used to very precisely control how much the 'slot' between main and jib leech is open or closed. ..... if the boat is set up this way. Scow racers vastly prefer such 'set ups' over the traditional fore/aft jib tracks.

On a furler you can't roll up a battened jib all the way; but, it can be partly rolled in order to reef.

Note the jib battens in the attachment.......
Attached Thumbnails
maxresdefault.jpg  
RobGallagher and seabeau like this.

Last edited by RichH; 07-11-2016 at 01:33 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichH For This Useful Post:
Guyfromthenorth (07-11-2016)
post #7 of 8 Old 07-11-2016

Pic of jib 'clew iron', transverse jib traveller, and battened/roached jib on Inland-20 Scow.
Fairly common set-ups for boats from the Great Lakes area.
Attached Thumbnails
I-20-Nationals-Louther-037l.jpg  

Last edited by RichH; 07-11-2016 at 01:20 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichH For This Useful Post:
Guyfromthenorth (07-11-2016)
post #8 of 8 Old 07-11-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
The Tanzer 7.5 (24.5' LOA) used a ~90-95% LP jib with 3 small auxiliary battens along the leech.

Many 'planing hull lake boats' from Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Western New York (and Ontario), especially when sailed in high wind venues, have small aux. battens on non-overlapping jibs. These 'small' LP jibs, also have a 'roach' (convex curvature) added to their leech and the small aux. battens help to support the 'roach' of the small jib. If the battens hit the mast when tacking, .... not a problem as the battens will pass across.
This is a 'skimming dish lake boat' jib design that is still common and has descended from the Great Lakes / Upper Midwest super-fast 'skimming dishes' / Scows of the 1890s, and are still used in today's 'one-design' scow, etc. racing fleets. The fast 'Sandbaggers' of the NJ bays and the fast Chesapeake Log Canoes also used and still use battened/roached short LP jibs.

FWIW - The Tanzer 7.5 (24.5 ft. LOA), as an option, had such a battened and roached ~90-95% LP jib attached to a clubfoot (a jib boom attached to the forestay wire) that is used to make such short jibs self-tacking (w/ single sheet control).
If there are fairlead tracks that run 'across' your boat, the roached and battened jib probably has a large aluminum flat plate 'clew iron' drilled with 'multiple holes' and is attached to and is a substitute for the clew .... for multiple attachment points in order to set the correct clew/jib sheet (fairlead) angle ... this is used instead of a pressed-in clew grommet or clew D-ring. A double-block is usually shackle-attached to the 'clew iron' - for much better 'purchasing power' - solely by hand. No fore/aft jib tracks needed when flying this 'short' jib. The 'transverse' jib tracks do double duty as a 'barber hauler' ... used to very precisely control how much the 'slot' between main and jib leech is open or closed. ..... if the boat is set up this way. Scow racers vastly prefer such 'set ups' over the traditional fore/aft jib tracks.

On a furler you can't roll up a battened jib all the way; but, it can be partly rolled in order to reef.

Note the jib battens in the attachment.......
Wow thanks for the info! I have a very old manual for my boat and it mentions an opional self tacking jib but I don't appear to have the hardware installed for it. Really neat info on the style and purpose of sails like that. Thanks a ton, it sounds like that's the sail i have most likely. Someone must have been selling it or giving it away as a "tanzer 7.5 sail" and someone grabbed it up.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.