Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Learning curve

Well, what started as a long-term cruise, became a short one. Fifteen days worth. I won't recount all the trials and tribulations, but the main thing was, that while I had diligently prepared the boat, I neglected to do the same for the Captain. Things that should have been second nature (from practice) were things that I would forget when tired. Plus, November is not the time of year to try doing the "Ditch" from Texas to Florida. The weather is too unpredictable, the days too short, and a lack of support resources that isn't apparent until you need them. So, after about 200 miles traveled and halfway to New Orleans, I spent 4 days at the Lake Arthur Yacht Club (a great and hospitable group of folks) and decided to go back to Texas for the winter. That way, I could do some things on the boat that I learned while using her, and cruise the South Coast of Texas to better prepare myself to sail across the Gulf come spring.

Though it didn't become what I had planned, it was a great learning experience. Some things I thought would come easily, didn't. While some things I thought it might take a while to get the hang of, I was able to do readily. Mostly though, it showed me I wasn't really ready to be out there full time. So now that the boat is pretty much ready, I'll work on doing the same for myself.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2006
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
John - I'm sorry to hear that things didn't go quite as well as planned but a safe end to a journey is just that - safe. I'd love to hear some of the details of the issues you had as it will help my family and I plan better for a short cruise in April and a much longer one in two years. Anything you are willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
Old 11-28-2006

Chuteman is on a distinguished road
Good for You - No Harm No Foul

PB:
I believe that You just demonstrated the most valuable lesson any Skipper can learn.............limitations. It's even more courageous that You identified yourself as the limiting factor................Bravo!
It takes a real man to make that call vs a reckless person who carries on because of some macho attitude or testosterone.
You will write a much better ending the next time out vs possibly having a bad experience, hurting yourself, someone else or your yacht if you continued.
Challenges, hurdles & limitations are faced on many voyages, Recognizing which ones can be overcome, bypassed, ignored or need careful attention separate the men/women from the boys/girls.
Again, Bravo!!!!
Old 11-28-2006
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Share some stories if you feel up to it, PB. Some of us may have occasion to reflect on them and use them to our advantage on future trips.
Old 11-29-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
For those of you wanting more details, I've posted some to my blog page here at Sailnet.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 11-29-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
great blog, and for what its worth the most important thing is you're safe and sound.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 11-29-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
John...Welcome back...glad you're safe & the cruising is a whole lot nicer in the spring! Looking forward to installment #2.
Old 11-29-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
John,

You've written a very sensitive and thoughtful blog - thanks for sharing it with us.

Anyone who's sailed any distance has earned his share of sea stories. Although just 200 miles worth, the past couple of weeks has contributed in that respect. Glad to hear no real damage was done to the boat, or you . . . other than your pride.
Old 11-29-2006
Grampian 26 Owner

sidiag is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

John,

One thing that I learned early on (late 60's) when I was being taught how
to pilot an aircraft - is that the decision to make a 180 degree turn when
faced with bad conditions ahead - cannot be faulted.

Stan G.
s/v Tryphena a '74 Grampian 26
-------------

Old 11-29-2006

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
We all have similar stories. There was a thread a while back titled "Things I learned the hardway", we have all been there.

As I read your blog, I try to imagine what its like to be in a narrow channel filled with barge traffic.

My experinces our usually the exact opposite. I'm generally sailing in open water, usually at night, with a lot of commercial/large (800ft.) vessels, and we are always crossing their shipping lanes.

We learned that 1 mile is the limit as to how close we will get to them. At night its not worth it.

Like you said, its all a learning curve. Many many many years later, if your like me, you'll still be learning.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.