Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2006

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Stand up/Sit down

Not sure if general discussion is the place for this or not but what the heck.
When I was little the head in my dad's boat was in the head. Way up in the forpeak. I can't remember how many times I was thrown on my butt while standing there making use of the facilities.
Anyway, here's my point. I learned over time that I ended up with a lot less bruises and was a lot less messy if I just planted myself instead of trying to stand up like a man.
My question is this. Is it unreasonable of me to ask that male passengers on my 27 footer who are too shy to use the lee rail sit instead of stand when they use my head?
Is it really unmanly or what.
To be honest, I've found that my better half appreciates it when I use the sit down method even in the house.
I know it's not a pretty topic, but we're not afraid to tackle the tough ones here on Sailnet are we.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2006

SteveCox is on a distinguished road
I usually just give a "BTW real sailors sit" to all new crew. It elicits a laugh and they get the message.
Old 11-29-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Standing up in a sea is like painting the walls. I think you know how I feel. Of course, I have two boys, so it is not as if that thing stays clean anyways. One of the very few benefits of 2 heads.
Old 11-29-2006

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
You can deal with the issue any way you please, it's your boat and those who disagree honestly CAN be told to "put a knot in it." Captain's Perogative.

You may be able to make the point by simply saying that anyone who misses the bowl will be invited to clean out the entire head and that if they really don't want that job, they can think about doing what the skipper does and SIT DOWN.

Or, you can try adding a simple piece of equipment that doesn't get the credit it really should, a "kneeling board". This is simply a large board, like a 2x12, with two u-shaped cutouts on one edge. You install the board in front of the head, so a male can squat down, semi-straddling the bowl with each leg (below the knee) resting in one of those cutouts. (It's similar to the position you'd take when sitting in a Balans chair.)

No need to drop the trousers & foulies, no need to sit, and Real Damned Hard to miss the bowl.

If someone still misses the bowl, you can take the kneeling board and whack 'em over the head with it.
Old 11-29-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Funny hello, and for the record, I totally agree! Don't like the way I run my boat, you can jump overboard now!!
Old 11-29-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
At the risk of straying into total grossness (is that a word?), since I carry water in gallon jugs for cooking and making tea, I save the empties and when under way and can not go over the side, I use the jugs. That way my aim is true, and no need to flush the head (thereby filling it up even faster). When I reach somewhere I can empty my trash, I simply toss out the jug/s. No fuss, no muss. Not the most appealing method perhaps, but it works well when you're by yourself and don't want to be inside too long.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-29-2006

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer
At the risk of straying into total grossness (is that a word?), since I carry water in gallon jugs for cooking and making tea, I save the empties and when under way and can not go over the side, I use the jugs. That way my aim is true, and no need to flush the head (thereby filling it up even faster). When I reach somewhere I can empty my trash, I simply toss out the jug/s. No fuss, no muss. Not the most appealing method perhaps, but it works well when you're by yourself and don't want to be inside too long.
From what I understand that is the prefered method for PI's everwhere.
Old 11-29-2006

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
I find the toilets to small to sit and do #1. I don't know what your talking about though. I just let it all hang out to the bottom of the bowl. Anyway it's my boat and I'm the captain and I make the rules and I stand. I wedge myself in and can do it on either tack even when heeling. Sitting is far to dangerous for me.
Old 11-29-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001
I find the toilets to small to sit and do #1. I don't know what your talking about though. I just let it all hang out to the bottom of the bowl. Anyway it's my boat and I'm the captain and I make the rules and I stand. I wedge myself in and can do it on either tack even when heeling. Sitting is far to dangerous for me.
Where's the ego patrol!!!
Old 11-29-2006

Parley is on a distinguished road
Oh my, I got into this discussion with a group of construction contractors last year. Across the board, the opinion was: If you sit you ain't a dude, period. Frankly, if that is one's attitude, I would be leary of going out on his boat as he is obviously making decisions for the wrong reasons. Practicality has to come into play when safety is concerned. Case in point: Skipper and one crew out for a daysail. Skipper goes below to take a leak. Crew is completely inexperienced, but skipper says "just hold this course and I'll be back long before I'm needed". Oops. Skipper falls, bangs head and is now unconscious with drawers around his ankles. This situation will likely lead to an unpleasant ending. I was that skipper. Although I was not knocked unconscious, it was the last time I stood in a head.

"A Small Sailing Craft is not only Beautiful, it is Seductive and Full of Strange Promise and the Hint of Trouble"
E.B. White; "The Sea and the Wind that Blows"