Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2006
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21
Actually tdw it is the anchor shackle in that same spot. BTW, an anchor shackle is straight sided and stronger than a bow shackle. It stows in the hawse pipe much better also. While on the subject of shackles, it is a mystery to me why none of the yachting catalogs offer a true safety shackle. A safety shackle has a threaded pin that threads not into the shackle itself, but a nut on the outside of the shackle. The pin has a hole through which a cotter pin is run through. The shackle develops full strength as the pin is full diameter going through the shackle body. A Jew's Harp is such a shackle and it amazes me that all the shackles, "safety" or otherwise require mousing. Is there a reason for this?
I looked up a couple of references and they are contradictory between
the ring and the shackle and in one case both, but if you think of the design
of the instrument then you can see the shackle similarity. Shackles are an
interesting bit of hardware. I've been buying some of late that are the captive
pin variety and man they are miniature works of art. By that I mean they are
quite beautiful and cost half the national debt.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2006
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Here's another one for you. What is spring lay line? You have to be old to have seen this stuff up close.
Old 12-07-2006
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21
Here's another one for you. What is spring lay line? You have to be old to have seen this stuff up close.
A lay line you buy at the start of the season ?

No ?

Didn't think so.

Mate, you may well have me with this one. Along with Guilietta's (sp?)coffee cup I'm well and truely stumped but I'm not one to give up easily so I'll keep looking.

Regards

Andrew

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 12-07-2006

IainMurray is on a distinguished road
Nautical Trivia

Well...I'm not locked out of anything in work and have loads to do but this is more interesting....

Most of the posts are quite right, Port side was the side presented to the port or harbour for docking. The reason for this was that the other side starboard or steerboard was the side which has an oar like steering system / device and therefore would get damaged if they docked on that side.

The word Halyard originated in tall ships / square riggers. The yard is the long timber spar from which the square sails hang. To haul the yard was to lift the yard up with the sail set in order to tension the sail against the yard below, to which the sheets are connected.

The term to "Splice the Main Brace" I think is a bit of a nonsense! to splice is to open the lay of a rope and re-weave it to create a ring / hoop / bight at one end or lay it back onto itself in a "long splice" to stop it unravelling. You can also join two identical rope together neatly. A brace is a rope and cable combination connected to the end of the yards / yard arms on a square rigger. They are used to turn or brace the yards to one side or other so that the ship can sail a bit closer to the wind. Now....the question is what is a main brace? The braces are normally named after the yard that it controls..ie.. Course Brace, Topsail Brace, T'gallant Brace, Skysail Brace, Royal Brace, etc. A Mainsail is a fore and aft sail mounted on the mast, not on a yard and therefore would not require a brace, just a sheet. So its all a bit strange, you hear this term a lot in movies, but I think it's silly make up jargon. If they said "Splice the Topsail Brace" it would make more sense, and it would probably mean join the cable at the yard end to the rope at the deck end, but it wouldn't be an urgent thing most likely, it would be part of a running maintenance schedule!.

A new one....."To freeze the balls off a brass money".
A brass monkey was a brass triangle upon which cannonballs were stacked. When it got cold enough the brass would contract making the triangle slightly smaller and the cannonballs would fall off the triangle...and hence it became so cold that it froze the balls off a brass monkey!

Iain

Last edited by IainMurray; 12-07-2006 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-07-2006
Alex, not full of crap

werebeagle will become famous soon enough werebeagle will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by IainMurray
to splice is to open the lay of a rope and re-weave it to create a ring / hoop / bight at one end or lay it back onto itself in a "long splice" to stop it unravelling. You can also join two identical rope together neatly.
Iain
When you lay the rope back on itself to stop unravelling, it's a back splice. The long splice is the joining of two identical ropes together in such a fashion that the diameter is only marginally increased, so it will still run through a block.

Charlie
Old 12-07-2006

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
How do you pronounce "buoy"?

Last edited by ebs001; 12-07-2006 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-07-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001
How do you pronounce "buoy"?
http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/pron/B0554700.wav
Old 12-07-2006

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
TB, that's nice but how do you pronounce "buoy" - booee or boy? I pronounce it the English way - boy.
Old 12-07-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I have ALWAYS pronunced buoy as boo'ee, with the accent on the first syllable . . . just as in that .wav clip.
Old 12-07-2006

cockeyedbob is on a distinguished road
... and tp was a length of line, frayed at the end, dragging in the water ... pull 'er up, take a swipe, drop 'er back in for the next man ...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.