SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Nautical Trivia

20K views 194 replies 37 participants last post by  Giulietta 
#1 ·
Since I am totally locked out of my server and cannot work, I thought I would really waste a bit more time and throw out some nautical trivia. Hopefully I do not screw any of these up, but I am sure the very friendly folks at Sailnet (er, hm) will be happy to point out my errors.

Ok, why is the Head called the head?

Where did the words Starboard and Port originate from and why?

Halyard? Anyone know that one?

Feel free to throw out others. I will give a small hint, they all originated from the old, wooden, ships...

#52 ·
Cruisingdad said:
So, being the eternal optimist, we don't know that he really committed suicicde? Do we know for sure he cheated? It can get very confusing out there...

Am I too much of an optimist? Maybe he was not cheating and did not committ suicide after all?
I think it's safe to say you're being too kind..... read the book, it's interesting - he left lots of data behind including evidence of a developing breakdown.

#59 ·
The underside of the deck and cabin top is the "overhead"; the insides of the hull (eg - linings or planking) are ceilings.

#61 ·
Kernix said:
Noticing poopdeckdaddy - what about "poop deck" and "swabbing the poop deck"?
We've always referred to our raised aft deck as the poop deck. Not sure of the name origin, but as far as I can remember (and as with most english words) it is derived from a Latin word - spelled similarly but modified through use. The poop, is the name given to a full height cabin, located at the stern of ships - so, the poop deck is this cabin's overhead. To be pooped, is to have a wave crash over the poop deck.

#63 ·
Actually, a ceiling is the wood sheathing over the deck in the hatch square of the lower hold. It is there to lessen damage to cargo being landed in the square of the hatch. The hull and overhead are not sheathed in a ship as that would take up cargo space to no purpose. There is planking, in the form of wooden strips, that run between frames and that is known as permanent dunnage. Dunnage, of all types, is what is used to place and keep cargo in it's proper position, by distributing load. It can range from plywood to 4x4 timbers. It also can be used to provide air circulation around cargo that needs it. Perhaps the term has been modified for use on sailboats. The definition given for overhead is correct, begging the question, what is a floor?

#65 ·
A tot is a drinking cup of smaller capacity than a half pint. Used by the RN for a ration of spirits. Gives one an idea of the drinking habits of our forebearers. In most states, a tot of rum would put one over the limit for driving. Those limeys may have spent their life cold and wet, but they weren't frozen.

#66 ·
Mea Culpa

Just consulted de Kerchove and ceiling does define the inner planking inside the vessel as well as the definition I gave. Fortunately, I didn't have far to fall from my 'lofty' perch.

#67 ·
sailaway21 said:
. The definition given for overhead is correct, begging the question, what is a floor?
A floor(s) is/are, I believe, the crossbeam(s) that support the cabin sole, which is the nautical equivalent of your living room floor.

#68 ·
Yes, the "ribs" of your boat, when they meet the turn of the bilge and become horizontal are called floors. They are vertical members and may/may not have a deck or sole over them. Does anyone know what a mariner's lien is?

#74 ·
Painter. I know of only two. Boat painter and sea painter. The former is usually attached to a ring in the bow of a small boat and the latter is used to shear a boat away from a ship while underway. Don't know the origin of painter itself but would bet on beagle's answer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.