Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2006
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Mnx4

Trying to attach a photo. Hope this works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_5576mid.JPG (49.2 KB, 101 views)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2006

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Yesterday, I spoke with Sailcare and they told me that mylar sails cannot be cleaned. My genoa is mylar and looks like hell and I just have to live with it or buy a new sail. I would definitely avoid mylar and buy dacron.
Old 12-02-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One thing to consider as well... if you're going to try and get maximum performance out of the sails, it is probably a good idea to go and upgrade the running rigging to "low-stretch" high-tech lines as well. The ability of a laminate sail to hold its shape is compromised if the running rigging stretches and lets the shape change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-02-2006
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Saildog...Good point, already in the process.

ebs001, One thing that might make a difference is that I am sailing on Lake Michigan where season is 6mos. Max. (sails are off the boat and stored the other 6mos. of the year.) and uv conditions aren't anything like what "southern sailors" encounter.
Old 12-02-2006

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
It's not from UV. My genoa was from Michigan (Detroit). It's from mildew - not using the sails for six months.
Old 12-04-2006
Thanks Courtney.

I spoke to rep. from Quantum today. Their advise similar to yours ebs001. Laminates will mildew if they get wet and sit for a couple weeks rolled-up. However, if they are getting regular use (every week, or every other week) should have no problems.
Old 12-05-2006

ThunderFog is on a distinguished road
Have you check out pricing from fxsails? I am looking at sails myself. These guys have very good pricing. I probably won't use them because I want race sails and would prefer to do business with a local sailmaker. What are your thoughts on using a internet sailmaker, big name sailmaker that builds their sails out of town or local shop.
Old 12-05-2006
Thanks Courtney.

I currently have quotes from Quantum, North, Dorsal (local), Elvstrom/Stobstad, Lidgard, Cruising Direct, FX, Mauri, Wolfe (formerly local), Sails East, and waiting on a couple more. Right now FX is among the cheapest for Dacron sails, several are about the same. Elvestrom seems to have more features as standard. Dorsal (local loft) is in the middle on price, but has the ability to do his own measurements. Dorsal is located about 1 mile from where I have to boat hauled for the winter. I am about 200 miles away so it is a little harder for me to measure. Right now I am leaning toward the local loft as they have the ability to visually inspect and can make any adustments needed, or customize without fear of error, i.e. adding extra roach. The other bonus, no shipping charges. (Lidgard is in New Zealand and estimate shipping around $730 US) While North and Quantum are very knowledgable and willing to help, it seems to come at a premium. I think right now my second choice would be Elvstrom base on the quotes.
Old 12-05-2006

mgiguere is on a distinguished road
Smile New Sails

I have a S&S designed 1967 fin keel sailboat (ChrisCraft Apache 37) that I have owned for 20 years. When I bought the boat, I put new sails on it in '84 and last year put brand new Doyle tri-radial genoa and full batten main. A huge difference...it was like putting a turbo charged new engine in an old car, and, as a result, can tack this old sled in 90 degrees. They are regular dacron sails, but the main is a stack pack and cut with extra roach for added power. Since I'm originally from Marblehead MA, I got them direct from a friend of mine who is the VP Sales for Doyle. They did a great job and when this 40 year old boat took 2nd place in this summer's 70 mile Governor's Cup race on the Chesapeake, the loft pasted a finishing picture of the win in their loft.

I see that the discussion is on whether you get a laminate or dacron. I think the big difference is the quality of the design and airodynamics and fit and cut that provides the performance. Give them, at least, a call to get info. It's year end and they may do a deal for you and could serve that Tartan 34 very well. Good luck.

Moe
Old 12-05-2006
Thanks Courtney.

I couldn't remember if Doyle was one of the lofts I was still waiting on a quote from or not, but just submitted (re) for quote.

I am also leaning to full battens to support some (a lot) of extra roach in the extreamly high aspect main, in Dacron, but with laminate Genoa for a little extra horse power.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.