SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

New sail the -0

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  RobGallagher 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Someone posted a video of a Melges 32 on that "other" site, sailing backwards under asym, doing like 5 knots too!... although photoshop seems to be what has happened in the above picture, as the bow wave is all wrong. Not sure how you put an asym up with a pole either.

I can't tell you how many advertising, videos, TV, and movies that had "sailboats" as filler, that were either floating dead in the water, or NOT sailing with sails up. Frustrating to see.

#6 ·
Editors like to have boats going from left to right. Often they will 'flip' the picture to do this. Here they have photoshopped (very poorly) the picture badly. A major push in China now is what to do with the vast amounts of money that people have made in recent years. Sailing is seen as exotic and indicative of real wealth. One reason for this is that you are only allowed to import new boats. There are a growing number of marinas in the country and most are two thirds or more empty.

#9 ·
The spinnaker pole looks to be attached to the clew ... like a whisker pole .. heh. Tack is on the deck at the bow or stern, your choice.

Sexy six spreader rig!

#11 ·
Visit China, you will be amazed at the gaffs in advertising/marketing. Menu translations seem to be done by monkeys high on nitrous oxide.

Some of my favorite Chinese menu translations that I saved:
Tibia Burned US Pig Meat
Steak Sauce Burning in the US
French Multi Disabilities (served with strawberries or butter so I'm thinking it French Toast-ish)
Mushroom Cowboy Meat
Abalone Juice Pig's Hands
Tibia Eel Pig Meat, Bacteria Beef
Cask Characteristics of Rice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.