SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hoax Distress Caller

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Sal Paradise 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Heard one play out in New York Harbor once. A couple of duh da duhs claimed they were in distress by the Statue of Liberty. Coast Guard and police triangulated them over by Brooklyn and busted them. I gave out a big YES! When I heard that.

#6 ·
I thought the coastlies had triangulation equip, maybe not everywhere.

This sounds like a disturbed person, or even a kid. However, I often wonder if our response items are being tested, with false alarms.
In theory, the CG's "Rescue 21" program should be able to identify the position of a transmission pretty quickly/easily which is its "reason for being". If, however, the jerk is using a hand held device and is able to move relatively quickly he can be long gone before the CG's arrive. He will eventually be caught, tho' not soon enough in my view. It would be a shame if he were killed while "resisting arrest", no?

#10 · (Edited)
Once he is identified, the SAR problem will be eliminated because they will know exactly who is calling and where he is.

From the article

Making false distress calls is a felony, punishable by a maximum of six years in prison, a $10,000 civil fine, $250,000 criminal fine, NBC4 Washington reported.

The Coast Guard could also seek restitution of the money it spent responding to the calls.

God I hope they get this scum! I wouldn't mind it if he were missing a few teeth for his mug shot either.

** this was in the related threads below - check out the crazy comment by the " newsreader" - also claims the CG gets about 100 of these calls per year!!

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/mass-...ller-sentenced-18-months-federal-prison].html

#11 ·
I wouldn't mind it if he were missing a few teeth for his mug shot either.
No!

The mug shot is taken at the time of his arrest. He is still INNOCENT! Remember you have a law, well, most civilised countries do, something about innocent until proven guilty.

Anyone can be arrested... The cops may think YOU sound like the guy and arrest you... Bash your brains in before you can tell them of your cast iron alibi?

Anyway, police in our countries have no right to bash, or kill anyone. And if they can't arrest someone without hurting them they need retraining or a different method.

Anyway, at the time of arrest no one knows if the suspect is mentally ill and might need special treatment and/or other considerations... easier with all his teeth left in his skull.

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.