Putting a A/C Unit in the Hatch on a Cat 27 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 07-29-2016 Thread Starter
Chattanoogan Sailor

Putting a A/C Unit in the Hatch on a Cat 27

So I am looking at making a setup just like this: http://i.imgur.com/atEhV.jpg on my Cat 27 to keep things cool this summer. I'm planning on ordering this A/C https://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-Wi.../dp/B01B4XUUDI and then am curious how y'all have created or would recommend creating the insulating connection like the image has. I'm thinking of just going to home depot and finding some sort of fabric or insulating material but I can't think of the best way to connect it to the hatch.

I like the idea of building a little carrier to make it easy to remove for sailing so I'll probably put if on a 2 by 4 platform and put some handles on those so I can hand it to someone on the dock.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-29-2016
Daniel - Norsea 27

Re: Putting a A/C Unit in the Hatch on a Cat 27

I'm doing this myself. You may have to get creative getting it to stay put. I'm doing it only because I'm on the hard doing some work and it does help make it more bearable to work inside.

Here's my picture.

I am using an Army pup tent over the hatch to insulate it to keep cool air from escaping. One thing I noticed quickly is that the air circulates up around the hatch and not as much cool air getting below. So, I put a piece of sheet plastic between the intake and output vents so I can direct air down instead of it getting sucked back into the intake and keeping the AC from being effective.

It's working well for me so far. Early in the week when the reports were "95 feels like 118", it got up to 81 by 2pm so early work was more comfortable. Cloudy days do help a LOT. Today hasn't been as hot with "84 feels like 96, and as I type this, I have 75 on a digital thermometer.

A little creativity can go a long way to beat the heat.

Good luck to you.

I was in Tennessee a few years ago before I moved to VA/MD area. I had worked on my boat when the outside temps were 95, so I know how anything cooler will be helpful.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #3 of 22 Old 07-29-2016

5,000 BTU doesn't seem like much for cooling the interior of a Cat 27, but I guess it can do the job if given enough time. My Morgan has a 14,000 BTU heat pump, which took nearly an hour to cool the cabin from 91 degrees to 75 degrees yesterday. The outside temperature was 93 degrees and the humidity was nearly 100 percent - nasty day for a guy with bad lungs to be outdoors. Obviously, you are not intending to sail with the AC unit in place - it would really block a lot of view over the bow.

As for connecting the fabric to the hatch, I would suggest industrial strength Velcro.

Good luck,

Gary

post #4 of 22 Old 07-29-2016 Thread Starter
Chattanoogan Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
5,000 BTU doesn't seem like much for cooling the interior of a Cat 27, but I guess it can do the job if given enough time. My Morgan has a 14,000 BTU heat pump, which took nearly an hour to cool the cabin from 91 degrees to 75 degrees yesterday. The outside temperature was 93 degrees and the humidity was nearly 100 percent - nasty day for a guy with bad lungs to be outdoors. Obviously, you are not intending to sail with the AC unit in place - it would really block a lot of view over the bow.

As for connecting the fabric to the hatch, I would suggest industrial strength Velcro.

Good luck,

Gary
As for removing the A/C unit I'm actually planning on rigging up a platform for the A/C unit with a strong point in the center over the unit to allow for a little pulley system on the dock to allow for easy lifting and movement back to the dockside to go out sailing.

I suppose velcro might just do the job to connect the fabric to the deck. I don't like the idea of pulling my paint off when I take the velcro off (on purpose or by accident...) but that may be the ticket.
post #5 of 22 Old 07-29-2016 Thread Starter
Chattanoogan Sailor

@Rhapsody-NS27 cool stuff, glad to see another example. I may just have to experiment with some different setups and see how they work. I've also seen some guys that have the A/C unit on the dock and then just have hose connected to the cold output and route that into the cabin... something to noodle on!
post #6 of 22 Old 07-29-2016

5000 BTU's won't do much during the heat of the day, but an hour or two after the sun goes down, the boat will start to be fairly comfortable. I used to have one of those CruiseAires that were made to work in a deck hatch. Mine was an older one that only had 4750 BTU's and I cooled my Cat-30 with it. By midnight, the boat would cool enough that the thermostat would start to cycle on and off.
post #7 of 22 Old 07-29-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifgray View Post
I suppose velcro might just do the job to connect the fabric to the deck. I don't like the idea of pulling my paint off when I take the velcro off (on purpose or by accident...) but that may be the ticket.
How about putting the velcro inside the cabin? That way it would be out of the weather. I wouldn't worry too much about insulating the 'tube'.

Roger
post #8 of 22 Old 07-29-2016
Daniel - Norsea 27

The only other way I've seen a regular household type unit being used on a boat was in the companionway with drop boards over it to close it all up. I could do that with the unit I have, as it's narrow enough, but I'm in and out of the companionway often and the cockpit drain hoses are removed anyway.

might be useful in that way as well if it's not in the way. Maybe step over to go up/down the companionway steps.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #9 of 22 Old 07-31-2016 Thread Starter
Chattanoogan Sailor

So here is what I ended up doing. Got a 12,000 BTU unit from a friend that pulls 10.6 amps so I'm hoping that is safe enough on my 15A breaker. It cools the vee berth down nice and quickly and I need to get a little fan to pump that cold air into the main cabin. I also put a bit of reflectix over the companionway and that put it down ~5 degrees almost immediately.

Photos: https://goo.gl/photos/tSLvkcoizhp34RKUA
post #10 of 22 Old 08-01-2016

12K BTU's on a C27....you should be able to hang meat in there in no time.
The problem with a big unit like that....the boat will cool down so quickly that the thermostat will cut off the compressor and the humidity levels will stay high and uncomfortable even though the boat is nice and cool. When it comes to air conditioning anything, humidity level is just as important as temperature.
I have a 16k unit on my C34 which has tons more interior space. I have to turn my AC unit down to at least 64 when I go to bed, otherwise, I wake up in the middle of the night sweaty even though the temperature of the boat is under 70.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.