Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2006

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
No doubt about it, you will turn a lot of heads.
Your response makes a lot of sense, like I said obviously there is a market for them. They just are not my cup of tea. We cruise and it can get nasty out there. I would not want to be in one of those beating into 6 - 8 foot choppy seas.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2006
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
I think it basically comes down to one thing, if you can afford $500,000 for a day sailor, you really won't miss the money.
Old 12-05-2006

LaLeLu is on a distinguished road
Mine, most definately! (40' Caliber)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...0/100_5762.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...0/DSC00134.jpg

Last edited by LaLeLu; 12-07-2006 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-05-2006

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Sure wish I could afford a pretty daysailer, they really do turn heads. And just like pretty girls you never see a fat one, they all seem to be on the skinny side. I like a little more beam myself. I have to agree with MSTERN because I see the same thing at my marina, most folks are daysailers with the occasional long weekend or week long cruise in the summer months. My wife and I day sail and manage some cruises on a 26' sloop, but we also overnight at marinas and eat out for dinners and the odd breakfast but sleep on the boat and our cruises rarely last longer than 5 days. Considering our sailing style one of those pretty daysailers would fit our needs quite nicely, unfortunately they do not fit our budget. The Hinkleys, Spirit & Alerions get my vote.

Last edited by CaptKermie; 12-05-2006 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-05-2006

Parley is on a distinguished road
I find it quite interesting that the $.5MM Daysailers evoke the feelings and spirit (none intended ) of the 'ol CCA rule boats. Take a look at the designs of Alden, Hershorff, Alberg (just to name a few) and they all have that "look" -Proud Bow, Long Overhangs, Sweeping Sheer that makes these boats soooo beautiful.

That said, if the boat doesn't have to put you up for cruising, how bout the old 12 meters of AC fame? A couple months back, CW did and article on a fleet of them in Newport, RI. Georgeous!!

"A Small Sailing Craft is not only Beautiful, it is Seductive and Full of Strange Promise and the Hint of Trouble"
E.B. White; "The Sea and the Wind that Blows"
Old 12-05-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
In the waters off Newport, RI, during most summer weekends on Narragansett Bay, 12 meters can be seen racing. At times there are as many as a dozen or more of these beautiful classic yachts and although a common sight to Newporters, they never fail to lure me closer.

Our dockmate and very good friend, has crewed on Courageous for the past few years. This is a photo I took this past summer on an overcast day, as he and his crewmates were racing other 12s during very light winds. We were under full sail at the time, but were barely moving - while Courageous sliced through the still water like magic. They won the finals this year, beating out all other contenders.

Last edited by TrueBlue; 12-05-2006 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-05-2006
Ne'er Do Well

TSteele65 is on a distinguished road

The Herreshoff NY30. If I ever hit the lottery...

Last edited by TSteele65; 12-05-2006 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-05-2006

mstern is on a distinguished road
Parley: I think you hit the nail on the head: boats built to the old CCA rule were beautiful. Of course, the Admiral goes aboard a new Catalina or Beneteau at the boat show and can't understand why I would rather have a boat that is dark and cramped below. Now if I truly expected to spend more than two or three days in a row on my boat, I would be tempted to buy something beamy and "modern". I appreciate the convenience of the sugar scoop stern and wide beam brought way aft. However, since there is nothing like that in the near future in my world, I dream of Tritons, Vanguards, Seabreezes and anything else with a graceful sheer, spoon bows and overhangs.
Old 12-05-2006
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Here's to 'em. That's the way to waste money. In the same vein, would I like to own a 1970 Daytona Ferarri with six Weber carbs that have to be rejetted every time the baro. pressure changes-you betcha. If I could afford it I'd probably have a Bentley beater for running out for ice cream too. I'm just happy that somebody is willing to waste the money on art work like that so that the guy who grew up drawing vessels like that was able to realise a life dream. Beauty for beauty's sake. Keep them photos comin'
Old 12-06-2006

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
To me, the boat with the most romance is the Tayana 37. It just speaks to me. Boats are like art I think, some people like a Wauquiez just like some like modern furniture and impressionist painting, while others like tradition.