Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Favorite meals while sailing...

So is aioli, sort of.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Bubblehead's salmon dish reminded me of one of our favs being panned fried fresh Salmon, Tuna or Ocean Trout with Wasabi Mash. Plain old mashed potato but instead of adding ,, say Parsley mix in some , preferably fresh, Wasabi and butter. Goes down a treat, quantity of Wasabi dependent entirely on your own heat limit.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 04-28-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

One of our favorites we have on the boat in the summer is:

Fresh pacific mahi infused with black sesame oil grilled on the Barbie.

Served topped with a roasted corn, black bean, red onion, red and green pepper, fresh mango salsa dashed with a Myer lime juice and a tinge of fresh wasabi and cumin over the fish...

We usally serve that accompanied with a ramikin of Quinona, Isreali Cous Cous, Kasha, or Long grain basmati brown rice

Goes great with a nice Russian River ( California) pinot noir (red) or a Catlonean Prirat region Cava ( sparkling white from Spain)

We cook mainly with the grill in the summer

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-28-2012

In the summer:

Fresh Pacific mahi mahi infused with black sesame oil grilled on the barbie.
Served topped with a roasted corn, black bean, red onion, red and green pepper, fresh mango salsa dashed with a Myer lime juice and a tinge of fresh wasabi and cumin over the fish...
Accompanied with a ramikin of Quinona, Isreali Cous Cous, Kasha, or Long grain basmati brown rice

Goes great with a nice Russian River ( California) pinot noir (red) or a Catalonean Prirat region Cava ( sparkling white from Spain)

In the fall :

We like Tarragon infused grilled Veal Chops with a burgandy demi glace and morels sesrved with duchess peruvian purple potatoes.
Napa Red Zinfindel accompanies

For dessert in the fall we make chocolate ravioli filled with sweetened marscapone and a burbon creme fraiche sauce drizzeled over it with raspberries. ( we make the fresh raviolis at home)

Most of the time we eat simple but fresh, but I do like to cook sometime ( so I dont get rusty as a push a pencil nowadays) and just because we are on the boat doesnt mean we cant go all out once in a while.

Dave
tdw, T37Chef, SVAuspicious and 1 others like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 04-28-2012 at 02:34 AM.
Old 04-28-2012

Quote:
Mayo IS a mixture of egg and oil. -SV Auspicious
Sometimes the easy way to lively up a sandwich is to make a "upgraded" mayo.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 04-28-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Pan seared scallops and asparagus make a nice simple meal.

Marinate fresh asparagus in olive oil with sea salt and cracked pepper for an hour. Don't be shy with the salt.

Pat the scallops dry and coat with pan searing flour (fine flour, sea salt and pepper).

Start the asparagus in the pan with a little olive oil while you're coating the scallops, add a little more oil, when it comes up to temp sear the scallops on both sides (time varies with the size of the scallops. I'll sear the asparagus so it's still a little crisp (al dente), and will sometimes substitue fresh green beans cooked the same way.

Mashed potatoes or yellow rice in a second pan rounds it out.

Easy to prepare and nice in the cockpit with a glass of white wine.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White

Last edited by JimMcGee; 04-28-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-28-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Chef2sail, you're making my mouth water ... Please post the full Tarragon veal chop recipe. I'd like to try it.

Here's another seafood recipe from Bahia that is easy to make aboard. It's a two-pot meal: one pot for the fish stew and another for the rice.

Moqueca de peixe (Fish stew with coconut milk from Bahia)

Serves 4 to 6

Moqueca is one of the most popular seafood dishes in the northeast of Brazil. Moqueca can be made with any seafood and there are many variations of the recipe, such as the “lighter” version from the state of Espiritu Santo, known as “moqueca capixaba” without azeite de dendê (red palm oil). The recipe below is the version of the dish as it’s prepared in Bahia. It can be prepared with any firm-fleshed ocean fish.

Ingredients

1kg (2lbs) fish, cut in thick steaks
2 onions, cut in rings
1 green pepper, cut in rings
1 red pepper, cut in rings
4 ripe tomatoes, cut in slices
¼ cup fresh coriander, chopped
1 or 2 hot peppers, minced (to taste)
Sprig of fresh parsley, chopped
3 tablespoons azeite de dendê (red palm oil. See page xx)
1 cup coconut milk
Salt and pepper to taste

Marinade:
Juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt and pepper

Marinade the fish steaks for at least one hour. Heat your clay pot (see page xx) on medium-high heat for a good 10 minutes before starting. If you don’t have a clay pot with a lid, you can use a heavy-walled shallow pot with a lid or Dutch oven as long as it can go to the oven (no plastic handles!). The heavy, glazed stewing pots made by Le Creuset work well for this dish. Heat the azeite de dendê and quickly sear the fish, turning once or twice. Add the onions, peppers, tomatoes, coriander and salt and pepper and mix before pouring the coconut milk on top. Close the lid and bring to a simmer on low heat for a few minutes. Put the pot in a pre-heated oven at 175c (350f) and let simmer for an additional 20 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve in the same pot.

Serving suggestions: Serve with white rice and pirão.
JimMcGee, T37Chef and chef2sail like this.
Old 04-28-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Chorizo, potato & egg hash.

It's nice to load up on a nice breakfast on a cold morning. I'll make a filling breakfast from canned potatoes, a chorizo link, and two eggs.

Crush the potatoes with a fork, cut open the sausage case and mix it in with the potato some salt, pepper, a little flour and some dried onion flakes.

A little butter in the bottom of a fry pan and press the mix flat with a spatula. Scramble two eggs and pour over the mix. Let it all brown and then break it up and turn with the spatula. Brown a little more. With good quality chorizo this shouldn't be greasy. Nice with some bread and a cup of strong coffee, and the left overs re-heat well.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White

Last edited by JimMcGee; 04-28-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-28-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

I've been landbound for the past couple of weeks but as soon as my azeite de dendê arrives and we are back on board, a couple of Copa's recipes are go.

Chef ... Tarragon Lamb sounds good.

We are lucky to have a half way decent oven and one of my simple faves is a roast chook stuffed with tarragon, onion and green apple. If you lightly do some sliced garlic in not too much olive oil, add a knob of butter until butter just melts then brush it onto the chook you'll end up with a seriously crispy flavoursome bird. Start with bird breast down then turn at the half way mark.

btw ... what of potato ? Chef mentiond Peruvian Purple which I don't know but my favourite is Dutch Cream.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 04-29-2012

2-12 oz bone in veal chops
6 oz morel or chantrell mushrooms
3 oz heavy cream
3 oz butter
1 oz burbon/ brandy
1/2 cup burgundy wine
2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
2 tablespoons shallots, minced
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
6 sprigs fresh tarragon, chopped
1/2 oz fine chopped garlic

Saute shallots with high grade olive oil ( infused if you can do that). Add vinegar, white pepper, 4 sprigs tarragon, and simmer over medium-high heat until the liquid is reduced to about 3 tablespoons. Strain vinegar reduction into a bowl/ cup. set aside.

In a saute pan saute sliced mushrooms in butter ( make sure they have been cleaned thoroughly). Add, brandy/ burbon and flame off alcohol, add 1/2 cup of burgundy wine and reduce by 2/3 to fortify. Add Vinegar tarragon reduction from bowl and reduce by 1/2. Add heavy cream ( optional) and keep hot.

Coat veal chops with olive oil, chopped garlic, black pepper and remaining chopped tarragon. Cook on grill with lid open to med rare ( internal temp 125 degrees)

Finish sauce with a small dollop of butter. Place on plate with the Veal chop over it. Very simple cooking and presentation and the flavors pop.

Peruvian potatoes are common here in the US. They are purple and make quite a presentation when mashed and piped out duchess style.

Dave
JimMcGee, tdw, copacabana and 1 others like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-