Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Favorite meals while sailing...

Roasted Corn, Black bean, Mango Salsa- works well on top of chicken or fish

2 ripe mangos- 1/4 inc dice
1 green pepper-1/4 inch dice
1 red pepper- 1/4 inch dice
3 oz black beans
4 oz red onions- minced
2 ears of corn- roasted on grill with husk on and cut off cob ( use frozen corn niblets for
a short cut)
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspooon cayenne or less wasabi
1 oz of cilantro- chiffinade
juice from6 Myers Limes
1/4 teaspoon of sea salt

Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl and chill.
JimMcGee, tdw and bljones like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2012

06HarleyUltra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Chorizo, potato & egg hash.

It's nice to load up on a nice breakfast on a cold morning. I'll make a filling breakfast from canned potatoes, a chorizo link, and two eggs.

Crush the potatoes with a fork, cut open the sausage case and mix it in with the potato some salt, pepper, a little flour and some dried onion flakes.

A little butter in the bottom of a fry pan and press the mix flat with a spatula. Scramble two eggs and pour over the mix. Let it all brown and then break it up and turn with the spatula. Brown a little more. With good quality chorizo this shouldn't be greasy. Nice with some bread and a cup of strong coffee, and the left overs re-heat well.
We love this dish, and add some green chili's, and wrap up with tortilla's....Good Eats
Old 04-30-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06HarleyUltra View Post
We love this dish, and add some green chili's, and wrap up with tortilla's....Good Eats
I didn't realize this was a "dish".

One morning I was doing the "what do I have to throw in the pan" breakfast and hit on this combo. Been making it ever since.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White

Last edited by JimMcGee; 04-30-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-30-2012

Simple steak and wine sauce.

I like rib eye for this, the wife likes sirloin so I usually do one of each.

Pat the steak dry and hit the steak on both sides with cracked pepper and liberal salt. Cover with foil and let the steak come up to room temp.

I'll put some olive oil and just a little butter into the pan and heat until it browns over a medium to meduim-high heat. I put the steaks in for 2-3 minutes per side depending on thickness to get a nicely cooked outer layer and rare (wife) to meduim-rare (me) interior.

Plate the steaks and put them under foil to rest.

Deglaze the pan with a little red wine (whatever we're drinking at the time) and add a little chopped onion, some chopped mushrooms and simmer down for a few minutes making sure to scrape all the good stuff off the bottom of the pan.

Pour the mix over the steaks and serve with potatoes and veggies.

Yum.
T37Chef and chef2sail like this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 04-30-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
scrape all the good stuff off the bottom of the pan.
That would be the french term "fond", its the little carmelized pieces of meat and browned sugars which give your sauce the added umpf....good technique you are using...basis of a good saute.

Browning is all about carmelizing the sugars in protein or veggies. Its what makes a browned sauteed onion so sweet and a raw one so "tart". Its one of the reason microwaved foood has such an inferior taste to browned food.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-01-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Mayo IS a mixture of egg and oil.
Yes, I know this. That's why I suggested mayo, but some people are purists and want to mix them up from scratch.
----------------

True story:

This thread inspired me to take an overnight trip on my boat. I normally strip out the boat for racing, so I loaded 3 dock carts of crap back onto my boat. Plus, the temperature was supposed to dip, so I loaded extra blankets and a heater.

I figured I could make BLJones' sausage and pasta meal without too much fuss. Wrong-O.

Forgot a spatula, kitchen knife, pasta and the balsamic vinegar. I ended up sailing to a waterside restaurant and buying a ziplock bag of boiled, plain pasta to make the meal. I cooked the dish with a plastic spoon and used a small rigging knife to cut everything up. It was pretty hilarious. Even without the vinegar, it was pretty tasty.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 05-01-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Culinary Tip

For grilling fish, especially flaky fish such as Salmon, Rockfish, etc...spread a bit of mayonnaise on the fillet using a pastry brush. The oil will virtually eliminate it from sticking to the grill, the egg will help it caramelize nicely, when it done you wouldn't know its there, it pretty much dissipates.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 05-01-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Here's one for chef in particular, anyone else feel free to chime in.

For Steak my method is to heat oil (for me always Olive) sear quickly both sides then turn only once more. I like steak rare but obviously time depends on your preference. Rest for ten minutes or so.

The other night however I was watching an Heston Blumenthal program and his method is to turn the meat every fifteen seconds. That was a 'crikey'moment for me.

Thoughts ?

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 05-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
That would be the french term "fond", its the little carmelized pieces of meat and browned sugars which give your sauce the added umpf....good technique you are using...basis of a good saute.

Browning is all about carmelizing the sugars in protein or veggies. Its what makes a browned sauteed onion so sweet and a raw one so "tart". Its one of the reason microwaved foood has such an inferior taste to browned food.

Dave
Dave, my wife and I took several cooking classes at Williams Sonoma and one of the techniques was doing exactly this to make a sauce. They used stock, I experimented with red wine and figured out I liked it better than using stock with steak.

We ended up buying a stainless pan just for this reason, then another for the boat. Guess they give those "free" classes for a reason

Old 05-01-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"turn the meat every fifteen seconds"
Whatever makes him happy.

Obviously, he's found a secret that all the best steakhouses in the world have missed. (Right.)