Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Re: Favorite meals while sailing...

I know what Goulash is. It's the "Gloolassh" joke above that I didn't get....

And speaking of tortillas, here is a recipe that I found for wheat tortillas on a fantastic blog on Texan cuisine. I had no idea Texas had such a rich cuisine. I've spent hours reading and drooling over the photos and recipies.

Homesick Texan

Texas Flour Tortillas (adapted from The Border Cookbook by Cheryl Alters Jamison and Bill Jamison)
Ingredients:
Two cups of all-purpose flour (can make them whole wheat by substituting one cup of whole-wheat flour for white flour)
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of vegetable oil
3/4 cups of warm milk

Method:
Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and oil.
Slowly add the warm milk.
Stir until a loose, sticky ball is formed.
Knead for two minutes on a floured surface. Dough should be firm and soft.
Place dough in a bowl and cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap for 20 minutes.
After the dough has rested, break off eight sections, roll them into balls in your hands, place on a plate (make sure they aren’t touching) and then cover balls with damp cloth or plastic wrap for 10 minutes. (It’s very important to let the dough rest, otherwise it will be like elastic and won’t roll out to a proper thickness and shape.)
After dough has rested, one at a time place a dough ball on a floured surface, pat it out into a four-inch circle, and then roll with a rolling pin from the center until it’s thin and about eight inches in diameter. (If you roll out pie crusts you’ll have no problem with this.) Don’t over work the dough, or it’ll be stiff. Keep rolled-out tortillas covered until ready to cook.
In a dry iron skillet or comal heated on high, cook the tortilla about thirty seconds on each side. It should start to puff a bit when it’s done.
Keep cooked tortillas covered wrapped in a napkin until ready to eat.
Can be reheated in a dry iron skillet, over your gas-burner flame or in the oven wrapped in foil.
While you probably won’t have any leftovers, you can store in the fridge tightly wrapped in foil or plastic for a day or so.
Makes eight tortillas.

Last edited by copacabana; 08-03-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2012

meuritt is on a distinguished road

I've been experimenting with cooking in a thermos. It appears any kind of slow cooker recipe can be adapted, so far I've made some excellent soups from simple ingredients, one for lunch works like so, and that is lunch aboard or at work
he is testing a small stove, but you get the idea, a fresh hot soup with very minimal time on a stove, most of the cooking gets done by retaining the heat in the initial boil.

More info:

I've cooked pasta, a lot of oatmeal, different soups, and looking for these links i found a lot of recipes on youtube that I didn't see a year ago when I started experimenting.

Benefits, less fuel, less water, less water vapor in the boat, on most things you can't really over cook, pasta and rice being the exception, but wild rice is great, maybe best of all, the food is in a closed up container and isn't going to end up on the floor in a seaway.

But it does require a different mindset to prepare your food this way. I have several wide mouth nissan thermos aboard in different sizes. Cooking a whole chicken would be a problem though, but thermal cookware, as opposed to thermos, does address that issue.
Old 08-03-2012

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51NYQ1riVQL.jpg

Simple, authentic, delicious. Your friends will be impressed!
Old 08-03-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Tortillas made with wheat flour and milk? Good lord, no wonder the other Mexicans took up arms!

I have some old thermoses with the original glass liners although (bang! tinkle tinkle) I've gone to all stainless over the years. But if you're looking for performance, it is worth nothing that size-for-size, the old ones with glass liners seem to keep things hotter, longer.

"Cooking a whole chicken would be a problem though," Which is why yachtsmen prefer to dine on squab and baby quail. Much easier to fit in a thermos bottle.

OK, what joker swapped the coq-au-vin for my coffee?!

Last edited by hellosailor; 08-03-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-03-2012

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road

hot dogs & beans
Old 08-03-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

Big Grouper sandwich
Old 02-01-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post

Left to right: Carlos, me, George; photo credit to Anja
Photo somewhere West of Plymouth England enroute to Azores

Meadle a la Auspicious

Meadle is the name my Mom gave a stove-top casserole we often had when i was a child to help stretch meat. The proportions of pasta to meat are pretty forgiving and subject to adjustment based on how much of the other ingredients you have and how many people you are trying to feed. I adapted it for my pressure cooker. This recipe feeds me for two or three meals, sometimes four, depending on how hungry i am and what else i make.

1 cup uncooked pasta (any small pasta shape works well; I use elbow macaroni)
½ lb ground beef (i prefer lean)
2 cloves of garlic, minced or 1 tsp prepared crushed garlic
1 medium onion
3 or 4 small to medium tomatoes
or
½ to ¾ of a 15 oz can of stewed, crushed, or chopped tomatoes
1 small to medium bell pepper
1 tsp oregano
salt & pepper

I usually make meadle with elbow macaroni. rustle through your vegetables and pitch in whatever is about to go bad. hot peppers, carrots, celery, and cauliflower work well. mushrooms tend to disintegrate, but leftover cooked mushrooms or canned mushrooms added after cooking work well.

In a 4-quart or larger pressure cooker, brown ground beef over medium heat until it crumbles. Pour off the drippings. Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Add the pasta and just enough water (or stock) to barely cover the pasta. Lock the lid in place. Bring to 15psi over high heat, immediately reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting to stabilize and maintain that pressure. Cook 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat and use the natural release method (if you are patient ) before opening the lid. Transfer to a serving dish. You can sprinkle your choice of cheese over top (feta is great, parmesan is as well).

This dish keeps pretty well, and if sealed in bags with a vacuum sealer can be reheated in the bag in boiling water (even boiling sea water) so you won’t make another pot dirty.
SOunds good!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 02-02-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
That is great wingnwing! I keep a pressure cooker for making bread. Now it has another use that saves precious fresh water and alcohol. (although it can be cooked in salt water in a pinch) Pasta and sauce is one of my favorite, easy concoctions. Rice and just about anything edible is the other. I wonder about the pressure cooker and rice? There are obviously no chefs on board Philyria.
Rice? Super-easy: put 1 cup brown rice and 1-1/2 cups water in the pot. Bring to pressure. Pour yourself a glass of wine, turn heat under pressure cooker to its lowest possible setting, cook 20 min while drinking wine, turn off flame and allow pressure to drop on its own. Your wine and your rice should be finished at just about exactly the same time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 02-02-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

The Real Deal.
Old 02-02-2013

islandskipper23 is on a distinguished road

For those snacks underway, there's something about slices of pepperoni between ritz crackers of triscuits with a slice of sharp cheddar from the block -- so easy so good!
Magnolia likes this.