Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2006

zfactor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianhlnd
in crock pot or slow cooker

Do they make crock pots for a 12 volt system? What does it do to your batteries?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2006
A little less cheek

ianhlnd will become famous soon enough ianhlnd will become famous soon enough
Well that's mostly true.

The chicken comes out soft and delicious, and the stock is great for sauce. I take the garlics and spread on a piece of hard bread. The chicken is great over rice with a sauce made from the stock.

My crock pot draws 40 watts, with a 12 batteries in 2 banks, solar panels, a 6Kw generator and a 1K generator all on a 2K inverter, 185 amp alternator on the engine, I don't worry much about power consumption. The 6Kw generator I've never used and am thinking of getting rid of it. The solar panels (4) put out 16 amps. I love my little Honda 1Kw generator, 8 hours or more on little over 1/2 gallon, runs the TV, computer, stereo, and charges the batteries.
Old 12-19-2006

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Some interesting foods here. I will have to try some of them and post my "critiques" LOL

I am a little concerned about the boiled eggs and wine...I fear crew will not like the outcome.
Old 12-19-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
The babelfish, which sometimes works, tells me that a "galinha" is both a hen and a chicken, while in English a hen is a specific type of chicken.

From the days of Julia Child I'm pretty sure I recall her making "soused chicken". "Soused" being a hifalutin word for drunk but I in other recipes I've heard things called "soused" as well. So I'm guessing "soused chicken" might be a more genteel way to translating it.

Can't see why you'd boil eggs while sailing...after some 17 minutes at heat, they're overcooked and the yolks turn green instead of staying yellow. (16, 17, 18, depending on the method and the cook, but that's what I keep seeing from "C"ooks.)

Myself, I'd rather see a nice coq au vin simmering away down below. Beer is nice, curry is nice, but ah, coq au vin, that's worth sitting down for.
Old 12-19-2006

Chebacco30 is on a distinguished road
I have no refrigeration and a one burner stove. Single-handed coastal cruising.

Morning - coffee, clif bar or two

During the day - crackers, bread, V8, water.

Evening - gin w/crackers and cheddar, one pot meal - soup w/veg and pasta added or dried noodle or rice dinner w/veg added. More gin.

Bon apetit

Romaine
Old 12-19-2006

rleslie is on a distinguished road
Geeeez, you guys have it made. The best I can get out of my galley wench is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich!!!!

roger
Old 12-19-2006
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
Can't see why you'd boil eggs while sailing...after some 17 minutes at heat, they're overcooked and the yolks turn green instead of staying yellow. (16, 17, 18, depending on the method and the cook, but that's what I keep seeing from "C"ooks.)

Myself, I'd rather see a nice coq au vin simmering away down below. Beer is nice, curry is nice, but ah, coq au vin, that's worth sitting down for.
GREEN ??? I've warned you before about buying those Three Mile Island Eggs and yes Coq au Vin is a nice nosh but please don't tell me that those free range Chernobyl chooks are your base ingedient.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 12-19-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
tdw-
Yes, green. Doesn't matter how fresh your eggs are, if overboiled the centers will take on a green cast.

Rleslie-
Once upon a time long ago, a coworker found me setting up the coffeepot in the office around a quarter to dawn. We were on early shift. She was seriously flabbergasted because she'd never seen a man make coffee in an office before.
So with my best poker face I said "Really? Because, I'd never trust a woman to make the coffee right in the morning." See, your wench is just proof of that. Women weren't made for cooking, you're obviously abusing yours by forcing her to do a man's work.
Old 12-19-2006
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
tdw-
Yes, green. Doesn't matter how fresh your eggs are, if overboiled the centers will take on a green cast.>
Wow. That's amazing, never seen or heard of such a thing before. Admittedly when I do hard boiled eggs I go for the softer side of rock solid. If you give 'em ten minutes or less you end up with a yolk that is still a bit yokey not a hard pellet.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 12-19-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Right,

tomorrow, me and Fred will be sailing all day long, we will just go some 20 miles out, where she blows nicely at a steady 25kts, and I will cook some "drunken chook", or "galinha bebada" or "soused chicken", or whatever you wish to call it.

Hey, the kid loves it, and he can also tell everyone that he had "beer" ehehehe

Therefore, I believe that, even if I had "dog poo" for lunch, the day will be well spent.

20 miles out, me and my son....

A little cold over here, tough