Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2007
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef
Sam,

You may try Delirium from Belgium, expensive but excellent beer
T,
i'm always looking for great new beers.
thanks much fellow culinarian..
sam
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2007

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef
Sam,
You may try Delirium from Belgium, expensive but excellent beer
..or you may try Tiger Beer from Singapore. For food, I like "bak chang", its glutineous rice ball with beef and chestnuts inside, wrap with leafs in shape of a pyramid. Very filling and tasty.
Old 08-13-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
The good life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Hey Sailors, Chefs, Gourmands, and the otherwise beneficiaries of good cooking...in the interest of fun, what are some of your favorite foods, dishes, meals while cruising?
On a recent summer cruise, our two day dinner menu was...

Shaw Bay, Wye River...

Grilled Rib Eye (1" thick Dry Aged of Course) with a salad of Belgian Endive and Grilled Figs with Maytag Blue Cheese, Walnuts, Prosciutto, and Pear-Poppyseed-Vanilla Dressing served with a Merlot.

The second night in Oxford...

Grilled Lobster with a Eastern Shore Corn & Roasted Red Pepper Risotto (Par Cooked before hand) and Caramelized Baby Bok Choy. Served with a chilled Pinot Grigio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 08-13-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Chef,
If you're ever up this way cruising Narragansett Bay, please be sure to hail True Blue on VHF 9 . . . preferrably, just before dinner hour.
Old 08-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
Chef,
If you're ever up this way cruising Narragansett Bay, please be sure to hail True Blue on VHF 9 . . . preferrably, just before dinner hour.
Wouldn't you want him to give you a bit more time, so you can pick a menu???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-13-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
Chef,
Will do!

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 08-13-2007
Not quite Senior Member

Waymar83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83
Had these while on land (so it may not count): Best Lobster in the world: Gaspé Lobster cooked in seawater.... Best ever by a longshot. Did'nt even need garlic butter... ( I've had lobster up and down the East Coast (PEI, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Maine, Mass..)as well as in West Africa and the Caribbean)... Gaspé Lobster from the Gulf is hard ot beat (so is the crab and Salmon.. )

Anybody sail up the the St-Lawrence and into the Gulf of St-Lawrence?

Waymar - Jeanneau, Attalia
Old 07-07-2008

I have a new one to add;

On our recent trip I caught a nice sized rockfish, after scaling & gutting, I stuffed the cavity with lemon, thyme, ginger, and some fennel. Then I completely packed it in a salt crust, made by mixing kosher salt and egg whites. I placed it on a pizza stone then on the grill set on low, it slow roasted for about 30 minutes...

the result was what I think was the best tasting fish I have ever had!!!! So fresh and perfumed with all those seasonings.

And no, it's not salty...once cooked, the egg whites coagulate and form a sealed crust in which traps all the moisture and flavor inside. It doesn't present well, but then it wasn't around long enough anyway...so goooooood!!!!

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 07-08-2008

Banshi is on a distinguished road
Grab a large bag of Krystal burgers on the way to the boat and your good for the day, what could be better than those fluffy square little buns soaked in grease from that thin slice of hamburger topped with diced onions, one dill pickle slice and a little mustard. They're as good at 6:00 PM as they were at 6:00 AM. No muss no fuss.
Old 07-14-2008

wdtracey is on a distinguished road
Nothing From Cans?

I'm all for NON REFRIGERATED items while cruising for more than a few days. EVERYTHING tastes good on a boat as long as you don't make people sick. I am amazed at the number of chicken recipes. My thoughts-with all the bad press on chicken, I don't want something that is messy to keep, or clean, or clean up after, on the boat. Best I do with chicken, is I take one of those rotiserie chickens for the first night. Canned goods can taste good and they don't spoil or need refrigeration.
This a great side dish on a boat and it is all canned:
French Cut Green Bean Cassarole, (we have all had it- Green beans, mushroom soup, and canned fried onion rings for the topping). Diference is you can heat it up on boat on the top burner and then throw the onion rings on top, cover it and it is done. Not the same as baking it in the oven, but keeps it a lot cooler below decks can even be done on the grill. If you want to get some raves throw some crumbled bacon bits, (from the jar out of the fridge on top).
Canned meats are notoriously saltly but can be a real hit when you are running for days on a boat. If soaked, a lot of the salt comes out.
Then grilled, or pan seared with some spices to give them a bit of color and flavor. Right from the can to the frying pan. Fried Spam with Mac & cheese (we prefer a nice Red Zin with this treat). They will rave about it, if you've worked em hard, even if they think they HATE Spam and haven't had Mac & cheese since they were kids. A litte Clove and brown sugar on a canned ham, with canned sweets and stove top roasted, topped with some canned pinapple that has been heated until it carmelizes. Can't beat instant Garlic Mashed potatoes on a boat for a quick and easy side dish that anybody who can boil water can make. Canned Hunt's Sauces need a lot of doctoring with some basil, garlic etc., but with some fresh caught fish, a litte parm cheese from the plasitc jar, and you can really take the boredom out of fish that you catch and of course have to eat. Or you really can use that canned Hunt's sauce with pasta, and some canned meats or Eggplant, or mushrooms. Biggest hit on the last off shore was Spam Marinara and stove top biscuits.