Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdtracey View Post
French Cut Green Bean Cassarole, (we have all had it- Green beans, mushroom soup, and canned fried onion rings for the topping).
A classic, in our house this dish is reserved for Thanksgiving dinner only...its tradition

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Re: Favorite meals while sailing...

bump

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 04-22-2012

MobiusALilBitTwisted is on a distinguished road

i read 8 pages for "Bump"

pork chops, in cream of mushroom soup, white rice field peas, would add corn bread but i don't have an oven on the boat, ?Glass of Iced Tea.

ps Than you T37Chef

1985 Venture 25
Fl Gulf Coast

"Ouch!
My eyes are bleeding."
Bob Perry

GrahamO
"Möbius,You need another drink. You are starting to make sense".

Last edited by MobiusALilBitTwisted; 04-22-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-22-2012
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
Re: Favourite meals while sailing...

Good bump.

Well, my favourite far beyond anything is BBQ wild oysters. I've experimented with many variations with different sauces and cheeses and various results but I always go back to my first and one other variation that are IM(NON-CHEF)HO delicious.

BBQ oysters - from the sea.

Step 1
Getting there...
Get in your skiff and get to the oyster patch.

Step 2
Gathering the oysters...these photos were taken in Desolation Sound

Step 3
The BBQ
Get-em on the BBQ. When they open, shuck-em trying your best to preserve the boiling juice in the shell.

Step 4
Add the hot sauce. Originally I was using Tabasco sauce which I still like the best but a very close 2nd and much more flavourful is "Por Qwan" Chilly Paste with sweet basil leaves which is available in Asian stores.

Step 5
Cook a bit longer and use a tool such as a knife or spoon and regularly push down on the oyster until it just begins to firm up (don't wait too long). Then carefully lay a slice of "Dubliner Irish Cheese" on each oyster, a squeeze of lime and close the lid until melted.

Step 5
The result...a meal fit for the discerning...serve with cheap white wine in a box.

I once served this to a very fussy friend of mine that thought the whole process was a bit repulsive and the finished product was slightly less than appealing. Some time later he remarked that this was likely the best thing he has ever eaten.
jrd22, T37Chef and copacabana like this.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 04-22-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Here's one from my upcoming book on Brazilian cuisine. It's a great recipe that we make aboard when we can buy frest shrimp from a fishing boat (which is most of the year). If you don't have a food processor or blender aboard you can use a potato masher.

Bobo de Camarăo (shrimp and manioc stew)

In the northeast of Brazil, any dish thickened with puréed manioc is called a “bobó”. The most popular bobó is made with shrimp, but you can make it with any seafood.

750 grams (1˝ pounds) of large shrimp
750 grams (1˝ pounds) of manioc (cassava), peeled and cut in pieces
˝ red pepper, chopped
˝ green pepper, chopped
3 ripe tomatoes, peeled and cup into small cubes.
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
˝ cup azeite de dendę (red palm oil)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup coconut milk
1 liter of water
Juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon fresh coriander, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh pimenta do cheiro peppers (or other type of hot pepper)
Salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:

Remove the heads, peel and de-vein the shrimp. Season with a little salt, pepper and lime juice and set aside in the fridge. Use the heads and shells to make the stock by simmering in 1 liter of water for 30 minutes. Strain to remove the heads and shells. In the same pot, add the pieces of manioc to the stock and cook until fork-tender (about 15 minutes). Blend the still-hot manioc pieces and some of the stock in a blender or food processor until you have a creamy paste. Set aside.

In a deep skillet, sauté the shrimp and garlic in the olive oil and set aside the shrimp. In the same olive oil, sauté the red and green peppers and onion until tender. Add the tomatoes and cook on medium heat for a few minutes. Add the pureed manioc and leftover stock until you have the consistency of a thick, creamy soup and simmer for 5 minutes until the flavours blend. Add the sautéed shrimp, coconut milk, azeite de dendę, hot peppers and coriander. Bring to a simmer and serve.

Serving suggestions: Serve the bobó in a ceramic pot with a dish of white rice and a simple farofa on the side.
T37Chef likes this.
Old 04-22-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

I keep seeing Brazilian recipes and they do set the old taste buds a flutter but you cannot buy Azeite de Dende in Australia.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 04-22-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-22-2012

See if you can find a Caribbean or African specialty shop and ask for (red) palm oil. It comes as a paste sometimes (halve it in the recipe) or liquid. It has a distinctive deep yellow/reddish colour. It shouldn't be too hard to find.

I'll try to post another recipe that doesn't have azeite de dende.
Old 04-22-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
See if you can find a Caribbean or African specialty shop and ask for (red) palm oil. It comes as a paste sometimes (halve it in the recipe) or liquid. It has a distinctive deep yellow/reddish colour. It shouldn't be too hard to find.

I'll try to post another recipe that doesn't have azeite de dende.
Is this it ?

Elaeis Organic - organic & ethical virgin red palm fruit oil 1lt
Elaeis Organic Virgin Red Palm Oil is processed up to 10 times faster than standard palm fruit oil to ensure the preservation of the oils natural goodness and quality. Expeller pressing, the chosen method of extraction used to protect the freshness and quality of edible oils, is used to extract the oil from the palm fruit.

Cheers

Andrew

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 04-22-2012

Tbrad is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Favorite meals while sailing...

The glory of Europe?? Ya haven't got nuthin' on Englewood, Ohio. Why shucks, we've got Wendys, McDonalds, Dairy Queen, Taco Bell, Col Sanders and if you want to go whole hog you can even go to the local Ponderosa.
Old 04-22-2012

Andrew, that looks to be the stuff. If it's very thick (like a paste), just cut the quantity in half in the recipe. Let me know how it turns out! I'll post a few more Brazilian recipies later.