Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2006
"Mentally Unbalanced"

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Favorite meals while sailing...

Hey Sailors, Chefs, Gourmands, and the otherwise beneficiaries of good cooking...in the interest of fun, what are some of your favorite foods, dishes, meals while cruising?

One of my most memorable and favorite dishes was a Curry Chicken I was cooking as we were entering Swan Creek in Rock Hall. The curry was simmering gently in the galley.

This is an easy dish to assemble and only uses ONE pot. Gotta love that eh.

1 # Chicken Thighs, skin removed
2 ea. Sweet Onions, sliced thin
6-8 ea Garlic cloves, sliced thin
1 ea. Carrot, small dice
2 cups Peas
Olive Oil
Curry
1 cup Long Grain Rice (Basmati is my favorite)
2 cups Chicken Broth/Stock/Bouillon

Rub curry on chicken and let marinate. Heat pot, add olive oil and brown chicken. Add onions & carrots and lightly brown. Add garlic, rice, and lightly toast. Add broth, cover pot, and cook for 15 minutes. Add peas and continue to cook for 3-5 minutes or until rice and peas are cooked to your desire.

Hope you try it and enjoy it. Substitute chicken with or add; shrimp, lobster, clams, mussels, or most anything else, just a couple of my favorites. Of course lots of other ingredients could be added, as they say, there are as many curries as their are stars in the sky.

Last edited by T37Chef; 04-22-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
When cruising, sometime I do a dish that my wife taught me. Its called (and I am translating form Portuguese) "drunk chicken".

Now, drunk chicken is easy to do on a boat.

1 Chicken remove skin if you don't like (I remove some and leave some for taste)
1 Chicken soup (the dry powder ones, you know... just add water)
1 onion cut in small pieces.
1 beer or 2 depends on chicken size.

dump all in a casserole and let boil until meat is done.

When done, eat. Attention, stains are hard to remove from teak!

Becarefull, temptation to drink beer might increase required beer bottle quantity!!
Old 12-07-2006
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
When cruising, sometime I do a dish that my wife taught me. Its called (and I am translating form Portuguese) "drunk chicken".

Now, drunk chicken is easy to do on a boat.

1 Chicken remove skin if you don't like (I remove some and leave some for taste)
1 Chicken soup (the dry powder ones, you know... just add water)
1 onion cut in small pieces.
1 beer or 2 depends on chicken size.

dump all in a casserole and let boil until meat is done.

When done, eat. Attention, stains are hard to remove from teak!

Becarefull, temptation to drink beer might increase required beer bottle quantity!!

Galinha Bebeda ? Best translation I could come up with. Simmer would be better than boil. Simmering a chook (thats Australian for chicken) in liquid is the best way to cook the thing you won't believe how tender it makes even a supermarket chook.

My variation on your theme. When I cook a chook, even for a roast, I throw celery, carrot, onion , garlic into a big pot with wine, chicken stock and herbs, then throw in the chook, either whole or quartered and simmer for no more than 15 minutes. If safely at anchor throw chook into oven having dried off the skin and roast on high heat until skin is golden brown. If out sailing forget the oven but add rice to mixture. One pot magic.

Going back to G's recipe, dried chicken soup and beer make for a convenient alternative to stock and wine. G's version is a hell of a lot simpler but I like nothing better than sitting at anchor cooking up a nice meal. Makes the boat really feel and smell like home.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 12-07-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
TDW,

The translation is exactly right "galinha bebada". that's exactly what we call it.

Its simple, fun and you can eat it in a soups bowl!!

As for sitting at the dock, sorry, but I don't do that much, (nothing against it), unless when I am cruising with both Giuliettas. And when we cruise, we normally stay in nice marinas over here, go out, and don't eat shity drunken chooks!!!! Thats when I am ferrying my boat over longer distances where I can't stop to eat.

But all kiding aside, try the "drunken chook" and let me now. OK??
Old 12-07-2006
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
TDW,

The translation is exactly right "galinha bebada". that's exactly what we call it.

Its simple, fun and you can eat it in a soups bowl!!

As for sitting at the dock, sorry, but I don't do that much, (nothing against it), unless when I am cruising with both Giuliettas. And when we cruise, we normally stay in nice marinas over here, go out, and don't eat shity drunken chooks!!!! Thats when I am ferrying my boat over longer distances where I can't stop to eat.

But all kiding aside, try the "drunken chook" and let me now. OK??
The glory of Europe. Doesn't matter where you are , no matter how big or small the town you will always find a good restaurant to eat in. Couple of years back we were in the north of your country. We drove from Valencia in Spain up through Salamanca and Santiago de Compostella to A'Coruna then down past Vigo to the border. Ran into a bit of visa and hire car trouble which restricted our movements within Portugal but I'm raring to get back. I love Iberia, of what I've seen it's my favourite part of Europe.

Will try drunken chook when we are away after Christmas.

Cheers

Andrew

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 12-07-2006

pigslo is on a distinguished road
Last October on the way back to Galveston from Port Arransas (near Corpus Christi) I fired up the Magma gas grill. Took a chicken and through in some orange slices (thats all I had) wrapped in 3 layers of foil. After an hour and a half of sailing up the ditch we had juicey tender chicken la orange.
Pigslo
Old 12-07-2006

TDW,

Make it "the glory of SOUTHERN EUROPE" instead... much more romantic, and better food too.

Pigslo, what do you call that?? Chook A la Pigslo?? ehehehe
Old 12-07-2006

pigslo is on a distinguished road
Anything on a boat under sail just tastes better.
RobGallagher likes this.
Old 12-07-2006

when I sail for more than 8 hours, I allways boil eggs, I've been doing it for more than 20 years now. The eggs... I don't know why. Oh and allways drink a glass of wine, no matter where I go.
Old 12-07-2006
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
when I sail for more than 8 hours, I allways boil eggs, I've been doing it for more than 20 years now. The eggs... I don't know why. Oh and allways drink a glass of wine, no matter where I go.

Interesting G. you cook your chook in beer and drink wine, I cook my chook in wine and drink beer......and wine.......and well yes I am bordeline alcoholic but then most Australians are.

The glory of Southern Europe ? I can live with that.