Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2006
Coastal Cruiser

Bill Mc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
Ditto on bowlines as the preferred method....BUT...if that doesn't work for you...simply use one long line...fold in half and pass the loop end through the cringle and then the bitter ends through the loop...no knots required but keep an eye on chafe! (Lark's Head Knot...http://www.home.zonnet.nl/willeke_ig...not_table.html)
Ditto: After that I lead my sheets aft thru the pulleys and terminate with a stopper knot.

Fair winds,
Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2006

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I wanted to thank all of you for your advice, ya'll are a great bunch, I think I'll go with the larks head first and go from there.

You all have a great Christmas and/or Holiday
Old 12-09-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Hey Bill...speaking of stopper knots...I was recently shown one that I like a lot. I always used the standard figure 8 knot but if you take one extra turn around the standing line before coming back through the hole, it really makes a nice stopper that is less prone to jamming up when tensioned. Thought I'd pass it on.
Old 12-09-2006
Alex, not full of crap

werebeagle will become famous soon enough werebeagle will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
Talking about bowlines and making them.
let him do the job.

He aproached our boat from the bow and grabed one of the rails with one hand.

I swear that when he removed his hand, (1 or 2 seconds later), he had tied a bowline to my boat !!!!!!! I didn't even understand how he had done it!! I was wondering if it was magic trick!!
My bet is he used the slip not method of tying the bowline. It's quick and does indeed look like magic when you are using a nice supple line.

The trick is tying a slip knot in the working end of the line with a flick of the wrist. You hold the dead end of the line in your right hand, and the working end in your left hand, palm up, with the working end passing by your thumb..

Holding the line loosly, rotate your hand in toward your body forming a bight. Grab the working end with your fingers and pull it through the bight forming a slip knot with the working end being the sliding part.

Then pass the dead end through whatever you are tying to, put it though the loop of the slip knot, give the working end a tug to invert the slip knot, and instant bowline.

Much more impressive than the sailor stagers out of the bar, goes around the tree to take a pee, and goes back into the bar method.

Have fun practicing.

Charlie
Old 12-09-2006
Alex, not full of crap

werebeagle will become famous soon enough werebeagle will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
Hey Bill...speaking of stopper knots...I was recently shown one that I like a lot. I always used the standard figure 8 knot but if you take one extra turn around the standing line before coming back through the hole, it really makes a nice stopper that is less prone to jamming up when tensioned. Thought I'd pass it on.
And it looks much more elegant than the standard figure 8.

Charlie
Old 12-09-2006
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
I think what you are describing is called the "stopper knot". Go figure.
Old 12-09-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, the stopper knot is better than the figure 8 knot in modern lines, as it is far less likely to shake out or get kicked out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-09-2006
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
A double lark's head will not be a prone to slip under load as a lark's head otherwise known, less nobly, as a cow hitch.
Old 12-09-2006
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
It was suggested to me yesterday that a loop through the cringle then whipped is a good method. I'm surprised that this would be strong enough. Any thoughts ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 12-09-2006
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
I don't think whipping alone would be strong enough. Unless you whip w/carbon line. The way I previously tried to describe (poorly) involved finding the center of the line and double it on its self. Whip together making a loop, along with (I think) another short piece of line. Pass the loop thru the cringle with the short length going on the other side of cringle and the passing thru the loop. This prevents the loop from going back thru cringle. Short length of line is then made fast back to its self with (again, I think) a half hitch.

Can't hang-up on shrouds, strong, and can't come undone from genoa flogging, or kill the bowman.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.