Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2001

Wille is on a distinguished road
TIDE

I want to switch from a trailerable Daysailer to a 27'' boat (Dufour) with a 5''draft. I live on a canal which is about about 6'' deep. When mooring at my dock I would have 70% of the time enough water under the boat, but sometimes the tide takes all the water out of the canal. The boat would sit directly on the mud which is 1'' deep and after this is sand bottom. Is there any advice not to moore a sail boat under these conditions ? I have seen big boats in France mooring at 36'' tide in a dry habour.

Wille
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-25-2001

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
TIDE

If the problem were merely that occasionally the boat would sit on the bottom then I would probably apply for a permit to dredge your slip to 6 feet of depth at mean low water, which in a canal that has a controlling depth of 6 feet should be legal. However when you add that the canal completelyt dries out I would suggest that you look for a boat that is designed for that kind of circumstance (bilge keels or a centerboard boat- either of which will give up some preformance) of keep your boat somewhere that does not dry out. While it is posible to build a dock that could serve as a ''mud slip'' its not the best idea in the world. More likely than not you will end up beating up your topsides and having problems keeping bottom paint on the keel and keeping the hull to keel joint tight.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook