SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

maiden voyage

3K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  pigslo 
#1 ·
i am picking up a boat in orange county califorina to bring it home to portland oregon in the spring. i am new to the game and so will not leave untill i have found a captain/friend to make the judgment calls... but is it true that you HAVE to go by way of Hawaii ??? looking at the charts it would seem so. if i have to stop there on the way, OH WELL... i can get over that. after getting nav gear and such what am i looking at for expences. and i know thats a loaded question. what i am talking about is the basics, not hotel stays and bar tabs. i am guessing what, three weeks each way give or take ? i am planing on doing this on a 30' catalina in good condition... and yes i do plan to take a shake down criuse befor heading for blue water

if i pay basic expences it would make it easyer finding this friend/captain

also, please recomend any good books on the subject,

so in searching for this other person to facilitate the voyage, where is this place to look ? here ? other sites ? does any one have any cautionary tales for me ? ..... GO....

#4 ·
Are you serious about sailing a 30ft Catalina off shore?
I think that is a rather light boat. Unless you have some information that I don't have. This is winter, the winds in Santa Barbara Channel alone are sometime 30 knots. You might save your money and time and have it trucked up. Just a thought. I've sailed Catalinas.
Not a strong boat for my money on this type of trip.
ca

#5 ·
???

chrisaugustine said:
Are you serious about sailing a 30ft Catalina off shore?
I think that is a rather light boat. Unless you have some information that I don't have. This is winter, the winds in Santa Barbara Channel alone are sometime 30 knots. You might save your money and time and have it trucked up. Just a thought. I've sailed Catalinas.
Not a strong boat for my money on this type of trip.
ca
well really i just want to get it to portland and was told the off shore current would keep me running in place all season... and no i am not planning on leaving until good weather. are you saying a Catalina is just a harbor boat or do you question the length ??? or both... the reading i had done on Catalinas led me to believe that they had a good thick hull... please explain

#6 · (Edited)
Catalinas are fantastic boats. People have sailed around the world in boats 12' and less.

That doesn't mean your new 30' Catalina is any good for a first trip to Hawaii and back though. If you want to pay two expierenced delivery captians about $6000, they will get it to Portland without blinking. That doesn't mean that you can pay one $3000 to come along with you because if they are worth $3000, they won't be able to sleep with you at the helm. If you want to prepare yourself for this trip and find someone else to come along for cheap, than the 30' Catalina doesn't look that great.

This Pacific Seacraft 31' weighs 8 tons and has 3 tons ballast. It's a lot heavier, triple the price of a Catalina, and triple the boat, but even that would be a hard drive for someone's first trip.

I hope you go for it though. Once you make it out alive, it'd be quite an adventure to have behind you. But then sailing in Portland wouldn't seem so fun. If you want a safer adventure, try one of these.

#7 ·
You Don't Say Anything About The Age Of The Boat You Are Looking At, Nor The Condition Of The Rigging. The Hull On A Catalina Is Not The Problem, Although If You Hit A 50 Gallon Drum In The Dark You Could Be In A Lot Of Trouble, But I Think That Is True With Most Any Boat At 30 Ft. And This Question, I Couldn't Tell If You Were Kidding About Hawaii. I Hate To Assume Anything On These Posts.
Pardon The Caps By The Way.
Ca

#9 ·
Congrats Gforce. I traded a bottle for a boat a couple of years ago and not one regret there. Actually I found that I like sailing even more stone cold than I used to tipsy! Sail your boat conservatively (always a good idea anyhow). Make sure the rig is sound and hatches, boards etc. fit well and have backup pumps onboard. Plan carefully, expect the worst and then have a fantastic and basically uneventful trip!

#10 ·
this is the add below. the rigging i don't know about yet, but in all it looks like a very well cared for boat... so ???? anybody ???

30' Catalina Yachts Sloop

* Year: 1978

Dimensions
LOA: 30' LWL: 25' Beam: 10'10"
Displacement: 10,200 Draft: 5'5"

Engines
Engine(s): Volvo Engine Model: 2 Cylinder Cruising Speed: 6.5 knots
Max Speed: 7.5knots

Tankage
Fuel: 20 gallons Water: 40 gallons Holding: 20 gallons

Accommodations
This is a standard Catalina 30 layout. Functional and efficient.
A large two-person v-berth forward, adjacent to hanging locker, drawers and shelves, convenient to the head. Amidships are two large settees. One converts to a double berth when the dinette is folded to the bulkhead. The quarter berth also sleeps two. All cushions in good condition.

* Two large hatches for maximum ventilation
* Reading lights strategically placed
* Blue snap-up carpeting

Galley
Efficient "U" shaped galley.

* Ice Box
* Stove, 3 burner Galley Maid, alcohol
* Oven/broiler
* Deep double sinks, stainless steel
* Pressure water plus
* Hand-pump fresh water
* Manual Head
* Hand-hold shower
* Holding tank
* Jabsco Macerator

Electronics

* Compass (new 2005)
* Knotmeter
* Depthsounder
* VHF Marine radio
* Manual Whale Gusher bilge pump
* Automatic Bilge pump

On Deck
Bottom done in 2004 and new bottom paint applied. Small paint blisters taken care of at that time.

* Tiller steering
* Split backstay
* Mainsail with cover, all sails in good condition
* Roller Furling jib,
* Genoa
* Danforth Anchors (2)
* Ample chain and rode
* Full cockpit cushions
* Life Jackets
* Boat Hook
* Stern Ladder

Engine

* Volvo 2 Cylinder Diesel (rebuilt 2004)

#11 ·
Gforce, I've never cruised the west coast, so can't help you with the details of planning the trip, but suggest you generally plan on sailing/motoring up the coast. That's the kind of sailing for which the Catalina 30 is designed. If the wind is favorable, you can sail. If not, you should motor. If the weather turns foul, you can head for shelter. You should be able to make 50-100 miles a day, depending on how hard you push it, and how good the weather. Before you start, you should fit the boat with an autopilot, because you don't want to be hunched over a tiller for many hours every day. You'll also want a gps, as well as paper charts, to help you navigate the boat. You'll also need a good set of foul weather gear. You should also plan on bringing along extra jerry cans of fuel. If you find an experienced sailor to help you, he can also help with more detailed planning. With local sailing experience, he can suggest a good time to start the trip. You definitely should not attempt this trip on your own, but with a good sailor to help you, it should be a great experience.

#12 ·
I reiterate what I PM'd you. You should have the boat trucked to Portland. There will be more costly damage to the boat if you attempt the trip even if you survive. I would be surprised if any Coast Guard Certified Captain would undertake the trip for any amount of money. Even after making the trip...here's what you might find at the mouth of the Columbia River:
http://www.columbiariverbarpilots.com/Picture_gallery/weather_rough_seas/Page.html

Oh yeah...I just took a look at what I think is the boat on YW...is it Ericka?? May I suggest you get a survey. There is a reason that the boat is priced $10K below the market. There are 7 Cat30's for sale in Portland and Seattle. The one in Portland looks to be in a lot better shape and has several thousand $'s worth more equipment for the difference in price. How much are you really saving by going to California to buy a stripped out, tiller steered boat in what appears to be very maginal condition?

#13 ·
Catalina 30's are great boats, I had one for 15 years and really loved it. Sold it a couple months ago even though I have another boat I kept it for about 4 years before selling, it was just a plain fun boat. C30's used to compete as a class in the Transpac.

Your big problem will be the wind and the seas coming from the W and then N, you're always against weather. Spring is an iffy time, late August would be my choice. Your choices are, yes, tack out to Hawaii and then back over, or, be prepared to motor most of the way. You can sail from OC up through the Santa Monica Bay with prevailing southerlies, as you approach PT. Dume, the W to NW winds and heavy seas coming down the Santa Barbara Channel will hit you on the bow. Choice, motor and tough it out, or tack out to Santa Cruz. Once through the channel, you face Point Conception-California's Cape Horn-good luck. The old square riggers would sometimes take 3 months to tack around the point. In heavy weather you can tuck in at Cojo anchorage and wait it out. Then, there's some pretty scenery, but nowhere to hide in heavy weather until you get to Monterrey. Forget Morro Bay in heavy weather, it shoals and if you try it you die. I can go on, and on, and on and it doesn't get better going north, coming south is a completely different situation. IMHO, put it on a truck and haul it up there!!

#14 · (Edited)
Camaraderie, you apparently have practical knowledge of the area, as I do not, but are you saying there is no season of the year when a reasonably prudent mariner might take a C30 up the west coast, waiting for good weather when necessary, and there's no time when such a boat can safely cross the Columbia River Bar?

(Never mind, Camaraderie. I just read ianhlnd's post and am starting to get the picture.)

#15 ·
Sailormon...yah Ian has it right. Add to that mix a boat that is not intended for that kind of trip and looks to be in MARGINAL condition and has NEVER been sailed by the new owner and is completely lacking in needed equipment...and a sailor who is completely inexperienced and THAT is the reason for my bluntness. That is NOT to say that the right Catalina30 in the right season and with all the time in the world and an experienced captain couldn't do it! Even so...it would take a bit of luck!
BTW...I love the Catalina 30. I owned 2 smaller Cats and chartered a 30 once and it became out "dream boat" when I was a lot younger. The new 308 looks interesting but the 30 will remain a classic!

#16 ·
The Columbia river bar is not to be trifled with, in any size vessel. If you are not prepared to heave to and wait for moderate conditions, select a different destination. There are documentaries out on cable tv that illustrate the hazards. The conditions depicted are not a "once a year" event. Any time weather blows up, you can anticipate the bar being closed or quite hazardous. Plan accordingly.

#17 ·
Cam's got a good point... trying something as dangerous as the Colubmia River Bar can be, in a boat you aren't familiar with, without a lot of sailing experience, and with unknown quality hardware/rigging/gear on the boat is a good way to win a Darwin award.

#18 ·
If you feel like you need to hire knowlegable crew to make the important decision during the trip, then you may not have the experience to evaluate the boats preparidness for the trip. Save the cost of crew and expenses and just have it put on a truck for half the amount. Spend the extra time and money getting to know your new boat in your home waters. That way you will still be around to post your questions and experiences on this site.

#19 ·
stripped out boat...

really, the thing i like about the boat besides the price is that it has a new motor and not much in electronics. which means i can get something newer and intagrated. and yes i would NEVER consider getting a boat w/o an inspection. and an inspector i had done research on as well. i am looking into trucking options as we speak... again just to clarify, i am not intent on doing any thing dangerous for me or my boat... and in fact a few hours ago i was looking at images of tankers crossing the bar with 30' breakers and reading about the 300 to 400 rescues anually required mostly for small craft crossing to fish in the summer season. i am new to this all and am doing research to see what options are avalable to me and so am bound to make improper assumptions. that is why i am here. thanks everyone for taking the time to share... all of the different opinions really help to form a clearer picture of what i am up for. also... is there something about a tiller steering boat ? i had read that it was the size of the boat that mandates having a wheel. on some thing as small as a 30' boat a tiller seems to be less to manuver around in a cockpit. i want to get auto pilot on whatever i end up getting ... j
camaraderie said:
I reiterate what I PM'd you. You should have the boat trucked to Portland. There will be more costly damage to the boat if you attempt the trip even if you survive. I would be surprised if any Coast Guard Certified Captain would undertake the trip for any amount of money. Even after making the trip...here's what you might find at the mouth of the Columbia River:
http://www.columbiariverbarpilots.com/Picture_gallery/weather_rough_seas/Page.html

Oh yeah...I just took a look at what I think is the boat on YW...is it Ericka?? May I suggest you get a survey. There is a reason that the boat is priced $10K below the market. There are 7 Cat30's for sale in Portland and Seattle. The one in Portland looks to be in a lot better shape and has several thousand $'s worth more equipment for the difference in price. How much are you really saving by going to California to buy a stripped out, tiller steered boat in what appears to be very maginal condition?

#20 ·
Gforce...good. My comment about tiller steered was because:
1. Most Cat30's have wheel steering and it is a desireable option making such boats worth more.
2. Tiller steering at sea LIMITS your options for rugged and reliable auto pilots which are a critical piece of equipment.
Let us know how the survey turns out. Get a diesel mechanic to inspect that engine too...REBUILT is not new. Not unusual for a boat this age to need a rebuild but it was done in 2004 and stuff happens to an engine that sits without use for a while.
Good luck.

#21 ·
If you can buy a boat close to home for a few bucks more in better condition, buy it. There are no boat bargains. The acronym for boat as break out another thousand is true.If you need to be convinced of this, get an estimate on 1 item that needs to be fixed on the boat and you will begin to get the idea.
Pigslo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.