Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2006

dougyoung is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
OK.

Some gasoline into the fire.....

Listen, IT'S A BOAT. You like it you buy, you don't like you don't buy. Simple.

I have seen a lot of really really BAD BOATS out there that have wonderfull web pages and the best references MONEY CAN BUY!!!!!!!!!!Just buy ANY unbiased American Sail magazine, the list is long, Hunters, Macsomethings, Catalinas, Jeaneaus, you name it. There is good and there is bad.

BOATS ARE ALLWAYS BAD, otherwise the industry would be bankrupted.

Stop that uhhhh I don't buy if they don't have web page, uhhhh I don't buy if they don't have spare parts for my cleats or for my shower, uhhhh I never heard of it, uhhhh its foreign must be good, uhhh this uhhh that.

(I think that you guys in the US have become too much catalog buyers). Please no offense in what I said, ok???

PLEASE. go look at it, and get-r-done (bought a Larry The cable guy DVD, sorry).

Over here we have tons of "obscure" yachts that beat then "s****" of Benetau, Jeanneau, Dufour, Bavaria, you name it.

Just because they sell big time does not mean they are GOOD, it just means they sell cheap (obviously a compromise here with quality), and there is a lot of SUCKER buying them, because they read the "unbiased" SAIL report, or the "unbiased " WEB PAGE.

Here, we still buy boats according to the need,and with the heart.

I am having a VERY VERY VERY bad week, so I am sorry if I offended any one.

remeber

GET-R-DONE!

Well said! I have a Challenger 32 and that is an off boat. Try finding any info. I managed to find about 6 other boats in the whole damn world. However she has been the greatest teacher I have ever had. The boat is sound, but every system has to be redone. I just finished rebuilding the spreaders and replacing the standing rigging and taught myself how to tune it. I insist on doing this work myself or managing it myslef. If and when it ever goes down it will be on my shoulders. The other great thing about an off boat is you can customise it any way you want with worrying about offending the OD people or being compared to the other 50 hunters that are on your dock. I love that. There are no pre-conceived ideas about my boat and what it should look like. No questions about whay I didn't use genuine replacement parts. This boat is my canvas.

I suggest you look carefully at any boat boat from the 60's and 70's witha good hand laid hull that is built strong. The rest is just the strength of your back, the vast reaches of your imagination and the depth of your wallet
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
you're my new best friend...

EGGGG-ZACTLY

(you're right on, spot on, you hit the nail on the head... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
OK.

Some gasoline into the fire.....

Listen, IT'S A BOAT. You like it you buy, you don't like you don't buy. Simple.

I have seen a lot of really really BAD BOATS out there that have wonderfull web pages and the best references MONEY CAN BUY!!!!!!!!!!Just buy ANY unbiased American Sail magazine, the list is long, Hunters, Macsomethings, Catalinas, Jeaneaus, you name it. There is good and there is bad.

BOATS ARE ALLWAYS BAD, otherwise the industry would be bankrupted.

Stop that uhhhh I don't buy if they don't have web page, uhhhh I don't buy if they don't have spare parts for my cleats or for my shower, uhhhh I never heard of it, uhhhh its foreign must be good, uhhh this uhhh that.

(I think that you guys in the US have become too much catalog buyers). Please no offense in what I said, ok???

PLEASE. go look at it, and get-r-done (bought a Larry The cable guy DVD, sorry).

Over here we have tons of "obscure" yachts that beat then "s****" of Benetau, Jeanneau, Dufour, Bavaria, you name it.

Just because they sell big time does not mean they are GOOD, it just means they sell cheap (obviously a compromise here with quality), and there is a lot of SUCKER buying them, because they read the "unbiased" SAIL report, or the "unbiased " WEB PAGE.

Here, we still buy boats according to the need,and with the heart.

I am having a VERY VERY VERY bad week, so I am sorry if I offended any one.

remeber

GET-R-DONE!

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 12-13-2006

wungout is on a distinguished road
Anyone know this boat?

This seems like a good thread for this question. While bottom feeding among the online boat ads one rainy night, I came upon this:

http://www.sailingtexas.com/sbacchant36a.html

It's a European boat called a Bacchant 36. Looks interesting, if tired. I could find no information about it on the internet, but I still remember the boat. I'm a sucker for classic plastic. Can anyone shed any light on this breed?