Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2006

Bluewater4us is on a distinguished road
I am Probably Crazy Too......

I figure this is probably the best to throw this idea out for comments from the "group". There seems to be a wealth of knowledge and varing opinions out there, so here is the plan......

My friend and I are owners of 1 and possibly soon 2 bars/restarants on the island of Dominica. We are flying to conclude some business in January and coming back. Shortly there after that I will be sailing down there. I have a Catalina 36. She is in pretty good shape and needs only a few minor adjustments. I will be sailing out of Charleston harbor. I figure it will be the begining of Feburary when I cut the lines.

Any concerns I need to be aware of. This will be my longest adventure to date. I am open to all suggestions and tips to make it a good trip. I know I will live on the hook when I get there. The one place is right on the water on the west coast.

Also when we are up and running all are welcome to visit.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2006

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Need a chef for that restaurant?
Old 12-09-2006
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Yes -- read "Don't Stop the Carnival" by Herman Wouk.

And offer free drinks to all your Sailnet buddies who show up at the bar.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 12-09-2006

MrBreeze is on a distinguished road
Need crew???

Mr. Breeze
Old 12-09-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Bluewater... I guess I'd start by asking whether your intent is to go offshore via "route 66" or work your way down to the BVI's via the "thorny path. Do you have unlimited time to get there or are you on a somewhat fixed timetable? Are you looking for voyage prep information or places to stop along the way or both? Will you and friend be double-handing the boat or have more crew?
The only initial comment I'd make is that February is a bit early for the offshore route so I'd either wait till April for that or plan on the thorny path. VanSant's "Passages South" will provide an excellent overview of the route and a lot of good chartlets. I would not rely on his advice necessarily but the book is great for planning and getting a feel for the conditions you'll encounter.
Old 12-09-2006

T37chef......I am one and so is the wife but if we need an additional I will keep you posted.

Sailormitch thanks and if you show I will buy one .

Mr. Breeze I'll let you know.

Anyone who heads that way often have a suggested route?
Old 12-09-2006

Cam

No particular time table per say. I might have a partner with me so it would be two of us. I was thinking the "Thorny Path". I haven't really been in the area tha much so I will take my time and error on the side of safety. I was kind of looking for a bit of both, voyage prep and places to stop. I am open two suggestions and I'll order the book.
Old 12-09-2006

Don_Quijote is on a distinguished road
Having just made the voyage from Baltimore to Puerto Rico in a Tartan 37, and learned a few things the hard way, that the trip depends a lot on how much time you have AND how your boat is equipped.
1st. . . What is your water capacity? or do you have a watermaker onboard? I would figure about 8 to 12 days if you take I-65. Hops of 3-5 days if yo go through the Bahamas, at best, longer if the winds are strong and out of the SE.
2nd. . . Fuel Capacity. The more the better. This past month, those on the Carib 1500 (Norfolk, VA to Tortola, BVI) were becalmed and some came close to running out of fuel.
3rd. . . Batteries. The more the better.

These are just a few of the issues. I was not in a hurry and left Miami on 28 March and arrived in Boqueron on 2 May. Half of that time was waiting for favorable conditions. I waited another week and a half in Miami waiting to cross the Gulf Stream.

Oh, and by the way, it was my FIRST offshore trip and I did it single handed... Next time I'm gonna make sure I have crew...

If you have any other questions, drop me a line direct and I'll pass my phone number....
Jack
S/v Don Quijote
Tartan 37, Fajardo, PR
Old 12-09-2006

Don Quijote I presently have 30gal fuel capacity and 82 gal h20. I also hav 4 series 27 batteries. Looking at it I probably will have to jerry can some of it. What issues did you have with singlehanding it?
Old 12-09-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Blue...OK...the thorny path it is. First the route...without the travel guide notes!....
1. You can do a combination of Coastal and ICW sailing out of Charleston till you get to southern FL. (Dodge Guide to SE US Inlets is an invaluable resource as is Skipper Bob's guide to ICW anchorages and the Maptech Chartbook)
2. Depending on your time...you can cross either to the Abacos from West Palm Beach...then work your way down to Eleuthra and the Exumas. Or...you can head from the Miami area to Bimini and then the Exumas.
3. Once in the Exumas you work your way down to Georgetown (Chicken Harbor) and stage for departure down island.
4. From there you can island hop down Rum Cay, Long Island, Cat Island etc. or just keep sailing till you get to the Turks and Caicos. Providencials there is the main harbor for provisioning, fuel, marinas but adds 50 miles to your next leg so it is better to anchor in the south part of the island if you don't need supplies.
5. From Turks and Caicos you have an overnighter to Luperon in the Dominican Republic. You need a good forcast for this run as you will be hard on the wind and you need to fetch Luperon or you'll end up in Haiti!
6. The most difficult part of the trip is next...EAST for several hundred miles into the trade winds and seas and through the Mona passage to the south shore of Puerto Rico. Van Sant provides interim stops in the DR but in any case you may need to wait an extended time in Luperon till the wind lets up enough to make easterly progress.
7. Once you'v made it past the Mona, I'd suggest a stop in Ponce PR on the south shore which has everything you'll need and is PR's 2nd largest city.
8. From Ponce you can make it in a day to the Spanish Virgin Islands (Culebra etc.) or you can do an overnighter and be in the BVI's (or St.Thomas or St. John if those appeal to you).
9. Stage at North Sound in Virgin Gorda for your next leg which is SOUTH finally to St. Martin. It is only an 80 mile sail but seas, currents and winds always seem to combine to make it a rough passage...like a super-surgilator agitator! You can anchor in the Lagoon at Phillipsburg and the hard parts are over.
10. From there you can day sail island to island and on to Dominica.

Hope that is helpful. Next installment...equipment and charts chartbooks...what do you have on the boat now in terms of electronics and safety gear?
Start reading this on line to get an idea of what you'll find along the way and CURRENT info. Good place to advertise your bar too!
http://www.caribbeancompass.com/