Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanctuarysam
hey G..
ya know there are many of us that think a red of this quality needs to be slightly chilled (roughly 62-65 and yes decanted to open her up sufficiently)
a rule of thumb i've always operated under (and confirmed by the wine editor at a seminar at Gourmet magazine last year) is put your reds in the fridge 1/2 hour before serving, and take your whites out of the fridge 1/2 hour before serving..but hey..YMMV

SAM that is sacrilege to chill red wine. I know some people in the US do that , that is why I told T not to do it!!!

Room Temperature 70F leave it here for one hour,and drink. Period. I accept no further discussion

Let me explain, the average yearly tempertaure here is 70F. (54F in winter and 90F in summer).
You just making the wine feel at "home", and we drink it at our room tempertaure.
The problem is that in the US you have heaters in Winter and too many air conditionings in the summer, so temeprtures might by too high in winter and too cold in summer. Thus the recommendation you have to 60 or 65F !!!! OK??

T, please, get you room at 70F and drink it, preferably with a nice beef plate.

If drink off meals, drink in a round large glass, so your nose goes inside the glass when you drink, and sniff it!!

I am eager to know what you think.

Remember, here, we are all "professional" drinkers since age 16!!! And you can get wine anywhere.

Only the whites are refirgerated here, and of course the green wine too.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C

G- I will decant before drinking and let you know how it is. I was quite surprised, my local wine shop has everything, except Portugeese wines. I may see if they can get more if this one lives up the high standard you set.
T, I hope I recommended good. Now I'm nervous.

The reason why you don't see much PortugUese (not PortugEese) wine there, is because the wine industry in Portugal is mostly for internal consumption, made by small companies.

We as a Country are too small to have big farms to grow wine alone, in quantities that could justify export, (the French, Italian, Spanish are bigger, and have fewer labels, that's why they export more).

This obviously affects the traditional family made quality, that is why I say our wine is best (and the proof is that the French, Italians AND some Spanish actually admit it!!). Its still made with TLC (tender loving care). And they have to do it otherwise no one buys their wine and the family goes bankrupt (we are very very critical about othe wine we drink, if its bad we never buy that label again!!!). And ABSOLUTELY no chemical to accelerate like they do elsewhere. it can be traced on tasting!!

Consider our wine industry as being constantly in competition with each other. They rather make less but good, than a lot that is bad.
So occasionally a wine merchant here get a hand of unwanted surplus or have a relationship with someone that got a hold of 500 bottles, and they end up in there at 200% the cost!!! A very very bery good wine here will not cost more than $20 to $25 . collection wines maybe $100.

Most wineyards are owned as small family businesess, (we have the largest quantity of brands per 100 habitants in the World), and that allows a lot of choice. Then the wine is divided in red, white and gree, but ALDO by region!!

And the region sometimes gives it its name. Some regions like Douro, have very very good wines (that is where Port is made) Douro is the river that exits to sea in Porto city.

There is Alentejo, Setubal, Carcavelos, Bairrada (my favorite), Do, etc.

This is something, probably the only thing, that we are really critic about. The wine.
Old 01-04-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
This is beginning to sound like a religious experience. There aren't any incantations or anything you have to use also, are there?

(Yes, I realize many people take wine seriously, and that's fine by me. Just seems a bit silly some times. Not trying to put anyone down or anything like that. We all do, or should, what we enjoy.)

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-04-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer
This is beginning to sound like a religious experience. There aren't any incantations or anything you have to use also, are there?

(Yes, I realize many people take wine seriously, and that's fine by me. Just seems a bit silly some times. Not trying to put anyone down or anything like that. We all do, or should, what we enjoy.)
P absolutely no ritual whatsoever. I drink wine sometimes when I sail, and do it just like that, no preparation or anything, its not that serious. But the truth is after its been open for at least half hour it tasted better. That's for sure. I agree we should do what we like. yes.

The thing here was that I wanted to make sure that T's experience with his Portuguese wine was the best. That's all.
Old 01-04-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
By the way did you know that Portuguese are the only geese that don't fly???
G- The PortugEese was on purpose! (Just disregard all my other spelling mistakes!!!) We are going up north this weekend to check on the boats and have a quiet weekend away. I will take my nice PortugEese wine with us and have with a nice dinner.
Old 01-04-2007
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
SAM that is sacrilege to chill red wine. I know some people in the US do that , that is why I told T not to do it!!!

Room Temperature 70F leave it here for one hour,and drink. Period. I accept no further discussion

Let me explain, the average yearly tempertaure here is 70F. (54F in winter and 90F in summer).
You just making the wine feel at "home", and we drink it at our room tempertaure.
The problem is that in the US you have heaters in Winter and too many air conditionings in the summer, so temeprtures might by too high in winter and too cold in summer. Thus the recommendation you have to 60 or 65F !!!! OK??

T, please, get you room at 70F and drink it, preferably with a nice beef plate.

If drink off meals, drink in a round large glass, so your nose goes inside the glass when you drink, and sniff it!!

I am eager to know what you think.

Remember, here, we are all "professional" drinkers since age 16!!! And you can get wine anywhere.

Only the whites are refirgerated here, and of course the green wine too.

hmmm
lemme restate this....according to every expert, wine source and rep i have ever dealt with (and as this is what i do for a living)..no red wine should be served above 68 F..and all should be stored at around 55F
people tend to drink their whites too cold, and their reds too warm (and this includes port)...growing temps notwithstanding, (i have never heard this used as an argument for serving temperatures), you would have to assume that there was a constant day/night year round ambient temp of 70 for this to be a valid argument.

oh, and you are decanting to achieve several different things..softening the tannins in a younger wine, and removing sediment in older ones...
and i do agree w/ G on this..use the right glass for the wine.. (while drinking champagne from the bottle has always been a bohemian favorite pastime , i do suggest an appropriate stem for the type of wine you are drinking...
http://www.wineenthusiast.com/templa...45CFCD&AfID=CJ

that being said...fine wine, like a fine woman needs to be handled correctly and savored...enjoy the experience.

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII
Old 01-07-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
G- I tried the Quinta Do Crasto Douro 2001. I liked it very much! It was a very robust, fully bodied wine, neither too sweet nor too dry. Can definatly tell the Porto taste. I am going to pick-up another couple bottles to take to a tasting next week and recommend to friends. (How far are you from that sponsorship deal!! )
I have to admit my wife was not as big a fan. She is coming around slowly, and liked the Douro more as she drank it.

Thanks for the recommendations.
Old 01-08-2007

In talking with T, I just remembered one thing about getting Portuguese wine in the US.

I know that in Fall River MA, New Jersey, Hells Kitchen NJ, Boston MA, there are very large Portuguese comunities that are "fed" thru several wine stores and supermarkets speciallized in Portuguese wine, beer and food. (the famous Portuguese BACALHAU . cod fish .).

I don't know how you can get a hold of them, but if you can, get in touch with them, they do stock all the wines I mentioned, and are cheaper than "specialized" wine stores, because they sell to the Portuguese comunity.

Try locating some and let me know

UPDATE:

Try these:

http://fall-river-ma.iaf.net/city/wi...tts-ma-70.html

http://www.apol.net/dightonrock/Codf...%20Alta%20.htm

Just get in contact with any Portuguese there, he will help you

Last edited by Giulietta; 01-08-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-15-2007
Thanks Courtney.

Had to post this (at G's request). In a small tasting over the weekend the top wine picked by those attendind was a Portuguese Douro (Quinta Do Crasto Douro 2001). The tasting for favorite wines $20/bottle and under. The Douro beat out a number of French, Spanish, Italian, and Napa wines. Excellent recommendation G- thanks.

Now stand-by for Portuguese bragging!!!
Old 01-15-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C
Had to post this (at G's request). In a small tasting over the weekend the top wine picked by those attendind was a Portuguese Douro (Quinta Do Crasto Douro 2001). The tasting for favorite wines $20/bottle and under. The Douro beat out a number of French, Spanish, Italian, and Napa wines. Excellent recommendation G- thanks.

Now stand-by for Portuguese bragging!!!

EHEHEHEHEHEHE

See, I told you....and that is not expensive, right???

Wait till you get your hands (mouth) in some Do, Reguengos, Alentejo, Bairrada wines (these are regions not labels).

Thanks for the vote of confidence...Portuguese wine industry thanks you..

Last edited by Giulietta; 01-15-2007 at 01:12 PM.