Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2006
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I'm likely to start a war here. Guilietta will probably never speak to me again. but.......if Portugese wine is in any way comparable to Spanish (steady G , steady) then he is right on the money. I know G will undoubtedly claim that Portugese dishwater is better than Spanish wine but my favourite Reds are Spanish (and not necessarily Rioja). Some of the best Spanish wines come from around Valladolid and Galicia, both of which are close to Portugal and are maybe a good comparision. Not much experience of the Portugese product. G is probably being a bit harsh on the poor old French, but then, isn't everyone ?

ps - yes G your jokes are crap but then so are mine so feel free to continue.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
TDW-

You should be able to get some great Aussie wines and Chilean wines there. Cheap too, I would think.

I never can rememebr the names, but there is a Rothschild winery in CHile that is very, very good for the price. I think it is only like $15/bottle, US... don't know how much that is elsewhere. But really a nice, full red. Not as good as a good California (Stag, I actually like Silverado Cab a lot now, and several others)... but for 15 bucks, how do you go wrong?

Portugal, are you sure you make wines in your country? I heard they just import them from France. Sailingdog told me that. Cam backed him up and agreed. I was very surpised they would say something like that personally. Err, Hmm.
Old 12-11-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
PS Giulietta, you know I am just kidding you again. Thought you could use a laugh. Don't be mean to me!! Be nice! It is Christmas!!
Old 12-11-2006

Johnrb is on a distinguished road
"French stuff (its like their boats, sells a lot and the buyers don't know any better)."

Is Denr writing this stuff? That's great.

When I pass a good vintage port in the store window, I always take my hat off. Too bad I can't afford to drink it. Other than port, there isn't a big selection of Portugese wines in Ontario.

I also recommed Argentinian wines, particularly the Malbec variety. Superb quality and excellent value.

" Just found out that some "nice foreign visitor", witnesses suspect from a French vessel,"

I didn't think the French had anything going with the Portugese. If your boat had English registration, now that I could see. I still remeber Monty Python and the Holy Grail (the castle scene).
Old 12-11-2006
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
I would second the Argentinian Malbec. Great wines that are not widely know so they carry a bit of novelty.
Old 12-11-2006

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Poopdeckpappy,

Lotsa good wines cited here, along with all the humour :-)

Problem is, many wines don't travel well. Chilean, Spanish, and Portugese wines...among others...are great but it's hard to achieve consistency bottle-after-bottle (and who'd stop at just one?).

You're in southern California. Some of the great wines of the world come from California, fully equal to the best ones from abroad. Napa Valley wines, in particular, can be excellent.

There are LOTS of choices, but for an easily obtainable, not-too-expensive and very good wine I'd choose one of the Kendall Jackson products. In a red wine, their Pinot Noir and Syrah are particularly good. In the whites, go for the Chardonnay or the Sauvignon Blanc.

Your friends will be ecstatic. And, if you join them in a tot, you may be a convert.

Bill
Old 12-11-2006

nelsonsmoody is on a distinguished road
I agree w/ Giulietta Portugal has some fine wines( I should know)being Portuguese and I make a fine wine my boat is one of marinas favorites to some good hanging try Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot - This popular blend combines the plump, fruity Merlot grape with the robust Cabernet Sauvignon grape for a powerful match. I could never go wrong.
GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Old 12-11-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Hey TDW, you know why GOD invented SPANISH WINE????????????

So bad taste Australians wouldn't drink Portuguese wines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 12-11-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
NELSON!!!

Your'e a traitor!!

Drinking French wines..... pffffff may the gods of fertility "soften" your manhood!!!!!!!!

By the way, for those interested, a friend of mine has 3 WWII era French riffles on ebay, BRAND NEW.... only been dropped 3 times!!!!!!!

CD No problem I know, Bob, thanks.

And by the way no damage, just pain, and a little anger....the builder came over and repaired/checked inspected all.

we are golden soon. Just need to dry it for a while

Now, really, French wine is made with the same stuff they make Macdonalds burgers and beneteaus......guess what it is. A little Nautical trivia here
Old 12-11-2006

imiloa is on a distinguished road
Ask the experts

Pick any wine (whatever variety you fancy) that Wine Spectator magazine rates at 90 or above. I've used that method many times and always get something good that way.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.