Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2006

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors
Poopdeckpappy,

Some of the great wines of the world come from California, fully equal to the best ones from abroad. Napa Valley wines, in particular, can be excellent.
Never even gave that a thought, I didn't know they were that good.......Thanks

Quote:
Your friends will be ecstatic.
Well, if the wine advice works out as well as the Larks Head loop advice I got for my Genni,.......I bet he will.

Thanks again everyone
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2006
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Hey G-

Q: How many men does it take to protect France from invasion???

A: Don't know, its never been tried.
Old 12-11-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
French highway system....
http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...chsecurity.htm
Old 12-11-2006
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
TDW-

You should be able to get some great Aussie wines and Chilean wines there. Cheap too, I would think.

I never can rememebr the names, but there is a Rothschild winery in CHile that is very, very good for the price. I think it is only like $15/bottle, US... don't know how much that is elsewhere. But really a nice, full red. Not as good as a good California (Stag, I actually like Silverado Cab a lot now, and several others)... but for 15 bucks, how do you go wrong?

Portugal, are you sure you make wines in your country? I heard they just import them from France. Sailingdog told me that. Cam backed him up and agreed. I was very surpised they would say something like that personally. Err, Hmm.
I mainly drink Oz wines, particularly the whites. Oz does some not bad Chardonnay and Pinot Gris styles. From what I've experienced they are a bit better than the Californian but it's been a few years since I was in the US. I'd always thought that the Spanish reds were good but their whites a bit iffy until last year when we tried some whites from Castille which were bloody good.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 12-11-2006
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
Hey TDW, you know why GOD invented SPANISH WINE????????????

So bad taste Australians wouldn't drink Portuguese wines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Awww man, that hurt ! Now I am going to be sad all day. Sniff !

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 12-11-2006

nelsonsmoody is on a distinguished road
G-man,
S O R R Y About Your Boat.
Ok Portuguese Wines Are The Best.
Old 12-11-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
Seen on ebay...

one french WWII infantry rifle. Never fired, dropped once.

Aussie, french, NZ, Californian, Portuguese all great wines I'm sure... but the best wine... I NEED A NEW MERCEDES... I WANNA MINK COAT, WHERES MY CONDO IN MIAMI....

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 12-11-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
CP...the red stuff is good for your heart!! I thought your lady was Cuban....they don't "wine"....they scratch your eyes out!!

Giu....translation of CP's post .... WHINE means to complain and is pronounced exactly like WINE.
Old 12-11-2006
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton
http://www.bumwine.com/

I always thought that a screw off cap added to the bouquet and elegance. She would HAVE to see the reasoning of such a device on a moving boat right? Maybe this is why I am still single.
Jerry

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

Money canít buy you happiness.
But it buys you a big enough yacht to
sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-12-2006
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
something i can actually talk intelligently about

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy
This past weekend when I got back to the boat, I found a Gen sail in my cockpit ( a gift ), I know who put it there, he is my slip neighbor and owns & races a boat like mine.

So, I want to get him and his wife a nice bottle of wine, but being a non drinker, I haven't the slightest clue of whats good and it's gotta be a " Thank You " kind of wine.

Yeah, you read that right, I sail and don't drink
now that everyone is done bashing the french (hey, they've always been there when they needed us)...let's talk grapes.
one of the biggest questions that needs to be asked; what is your budget for said bottle of wine?
you can get a very nice sparkling wine from california (roederer estate,anderson valley for about $20.00 that can stand w/ many french champagnes costing twice the price..or you can buy a very nice roederer cristal for about $250.00 and definitely make an impression.
unless they are oenophiles, chances are a lot of high end wines, would be a waste of money, and go unappreciated.
as this is what i do for a living (chef and purveyor of food and spirits)..i'll toss out some names. this advice, as is much you get here,is worth what you paid for it.
newton, unfiltered chardonnay: california
cakebread cellars, cabernet:california
trevor jones, unfiltered chardonnay :australia
niebaum-coppola rubicon ,cabernet/merlot/cab franc : california
papapietro perry, pinot noir: california
kim crawford , sauvignon blanc 2004:NZ
brunello di montelcino : italy
bollinger, champagne : france
santa margherita, pinot grigio: italy

this list gives you a range from about $20.00 to about $90.00.
if you can find the papapietro perry..it is extraordinary, and quite possibly my favorite from this list.
for something completely different, van gogh makes a double espresso vodka, that is outstanding..best amped up buzz out there, and smooth as silk.
hope this helps

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII