SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Need a good Wine (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/26696-need-good-wine.html)

poopdeckpappy 12-11-2006 01:05 PM

Need a good Wine

This past weekend when I got back to the boat, I found a Gen sail in my cockpit ( a gift ), I know who put it there, he is my slip neighbor and owns & races a boat like mine.

So, I want to get him and his wife a nice bottle of wine, but being a non drinker, I haven't the slightest clue of whats good and it's gotta be a " Thank You " kind of wine.

Yeah, you read that right, I sail and don't drink

TrueBlue 12-11-2006 01:14 PM

I usually select a fine Bordeaux as a thank you - typical when someone refers me to a new client. Ask your local wine merchant to select one from his stock. Another choice would be a nice Pinot Noir.

Giulietta 12-11-2006 04:30 PM

NO NO NO NO NO.....

Dear TB, NO NO NO NO

a real "connaisseur", a real wine appreciator, one that would like to endulge his friend, would never get any French stuff (its like their boats, sells a lot and the buyers don't know any better).

Get any, (and I mean any) Portuguese wine. That is it. If you want to really thank your friend.

I thank you, and the small viticulture of my Country greatly appreciates.
We have Red Wine, white Wine (Vino branco) and Green (yers yes) green wine.

DAO, PERIQUIRTA, REGUENGOS,

just don't get the ROSE, its crap. Invented to keep the germans away.

By the way, I am not joking. Ask anyone here that has had wine from Portugal, the land of PORT!!!:)

TrueBlue 12-11-2006 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giulietta

just don't get the ROSE, its crap. Invented to keep the germans away.

You must mean Mateus, I remember that stuff from my college days - only good use for it was - the bottles made great candle holders. ;)

Giulietta 12-11-2006 04:58 PM

:D TB
absolutely right. Discusting stuff.

In fact that crap is what people think its Portuguese wine.

Really that stuff was invented to keep the Germans and the British out of our small quantity produced great wine.

I had a lamp with one of those, and also from Lancers. Bad, very bad.

Hey TB one question, are my jokes bad???

Cruisingdad 12-11-2006 05:05 PM

Wait, Portugal, you have been making jokes all this time? Eww, I thought you were serious.

Cruisingdad 12-11-2006 05:07 PM

TB-

What about a good Stag? or for white, Far Niente? That is probably one of my favorite whites. You know, for a wine that is not that expensive, Dry Creek is not bad.

T34C 12-11-2006 05:13 PM

G-

I thought you Portuguese were nice people. Why didn't you mention the Rose to France, oh say... 65 years ago, or so??

I'm sure if describe the situation to the resident expert at your nearest bottle shop they would be happy to oblige.

Is the slip on the OTHER side of your neigbor available?

Giulietta 12-11-2006 05:13 PM

CD, sorry about the bad jokes.

I am not in a good mood.

Last Saturday I had 1' of water inside my boat, fresh water !!!!!!!

My tanks (even the balast tanks) don't hold that much water.

Just found out that some "nice foreign visitor", witnesses suspect from a French vessel, that was on a slip not far, decided to get drunk and inserted a garden hose inside one of my hatches and left the water running!!

Luckily the guy that looks after my boat saw it (unfortunately only in the morning, as he went to tighten the ropes as bead weather hit us this wekend), and closed the tap. The water was running so hard that the 2 bildges couln't handle it.

The Marina is looking for them, as they have left. So now, I am on a little French hating spree!!:mad:

Cruisingdad 12-11-2006 05:20 PM

Portugal,

You don't think I was mad, do you? I WAS JOKING YOU!! Bad American humor, I suppose. Truth is, I think you and I are two peas out of the same pod... like to joke a bunch! WOuldn't our familys have fun in the same anchorage!! Our wives would probably leave us (and leave the kids with us too).

Sorry to hear about the water. Did you clean it all up? Any damage?