SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Need a good Wine

15K views 151 replies 28 participants last post by  Giulietta 
#1 ·
This past weekend when I got back to the boat, I found a Gen sail in my cockpit ( a gift ), I know who put it there, he is my slip neighbor and owns & races a boat like mine.

So, I want to get him and his wife a nice bottle of wine, but being a non drinker, I haven't the slightest clue of whats good and it's gotta be a " Thank You " kind of wine.

Yeah, you read that right, I sail and don't drink

#3 ·
NO NO NO NO NO.....

Dear TB, NO NO NO NO

a real "connaisseur", a real wine appreciator, one that would like to endulge his friend, would never get any French stuff (its like their boats, sells a lot and the buyers don't know any better).

Get any, (and I mean any) Portuguese wine. That is it. If you want to really thank your friend.

I thank you, and the small viticulture of my Country greatly appreciates.
We have Red Wine, white Wine (Vino branco) and Green (yers yes) green wine.

DAO, PERIQUIRTA, REGUENGOS,

just don't get the ROSE, its crap. Invented to keep the germans away.

By the way, I am not joking. Ask anyone here that has had wine from Portugal, the land of PORT!!!:)

#5 ·
:D TB
absolutely right. Discusting stuff.

In fact that crap is what people think its Portuguese wine.

Really that stuff was invented to keep the Germans and the British out of our small quantity produced great wine.

I had a lamp with one of those, and also from Lancers. Bad, very bad.

Hey TB one question, are my jokes bad???

#8 ·
G-

I thought you Portuguese were nice people. Why didn't you mention the Rose to France, oh say... 65 years ago, or so??

I'm sure if describe the situation to the resident expert at your nearest bottle shop they would be happy to oblige.

Is the slip on the OTHER side of your neigbor available?

#9 ·
CD, sorry about the bad jokes.

I am not in a good mood.

Last Saturday I had 1' of water inside my boat, fresh water !!!!!!!

My tanks (even the balast tanks) don't hold that much water.

Just found out that some "nice foreign visitor", witnesses suspect from a French vessel, that was on a slip not far, decided to get drunk and inserted a garden hose inside one of my hatches and left the water running!!

Luckily the guy that looks after my boat saw it (unfortunately only in the morning, as he went to tighten the ropes as bead weather hit us this wekend), and closed the tap. The water was running so hard that the 2 bildges couln't handle it.

The Marina is looking for them, as they have left. So now, I am on a little French hating spree!!:mad:

#10 ·
Portugal,

You don't think I was mad, do you? I WAS JOKING YOU!! Bad American humor, I suppose. Truth is, I think you and I are two peas out of the same pod... like to joke a bunch! WOuldn't our familys have fun in the same anchorage!! Our wives would probably leave us (and leave the kids with us too).

Sorry to hear about the water. Did you clean it all up? Any damage?

#11 ·
I'm likely to start a war here. Guilietta will probably never speak to me again. but.......if Portugese wine is in any way comparable to Spanish (steady G , steady) then he is right on the money. I know G will undoubtedly claim that Portugese dishwater is better than Spanish wine but my favourite Reds are Spanish (and not necessarily Rioja). Some of the best Spanish wines come from around Valladolid and Galicia, both of which are close to Portugal and are maybe a good comparision. Not much experience of the Portugese product. G is probably being a bit harsh on the poor old French, but then, isn't everyone ?

ps - yes G your jokes are crap but then so are mine so feel free to continue. :) :) :p :p

#12 ·
TDW-

You should be able to get some great Aussie wines and Chilean wines there. Cheap too, I would think.

I never can rememebr the names, but there is a Rothschild winery in CHile that is very, very good for the price. I think it is only like $15/bottle, US... don't know how much that is elsewhere. But really a nice, full red. Not as good as a good California (Stag, I actually like Silverado Cab a lot now, and several others)... but for 15 bucks, how do you go wrong?

Portugal, are you sure you make wines in your country? I heard they just import them from France. Sailingdog told me that. Cam backed him up and agreed. I was very surpised they would say something like that personally. Err, Hmm.

#14 ·
"French stuff (its like their boats, sells a lot and the buyers don't know any better)."

Is Denr writing this stuff? That's great.

When I pass a good vintage port in the store window, I always take my hat off. Too bad I can't afford to drink it. Other than port, there isn't a big selection of Portugese wines in Ontario.

I also recommed Argentinian wines, particularly the Malbec variety. Superb quality and excellent value.

" Just found out that some "nice foreign visitor", witnesses suspect from a French vessel,"

I didn't think the French had anything going with the Portugese. If your boat had English registration, now that I could see. I still remeber Monty Python and the Holy Grail (the castle scene).

#16 ·
Poopdeckpappy,

Lotsa good wines cited here, along with all the humour :)

Problem is, many wines don't travel well. Chilean, Spanish, and Portugese wines...among others...are great but it's hard to achieve consistency bottle-after-bottle (and who'd stop at just one?).

You're in southern California. Some of the great wines of the world come from California, fully equal to the best ones from abroad. Napa Valley wines, in particular, can be excellent.

There are LOTS of choices, but for an easily obtainable, not-too-expensive and very good wine I'd choose one of the Kendall Jackson products. In a red wine, their Pinot Noir and Syrah are particularly good. In the whites, go for the Chardonnay or the Sauvignon Blanc.

Your friends will be ecstatic. And, if you join them in a tot, you may be a convert.

Bill

#17 ·
I agree w/ Giulietta Portugal has some fine wines( I should know)being Portuguese and I make a fine wine my boat is one of marinas favorites to some good hanging try Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot - This popular blend combines the plump, fruity Merlot grape with the robust Cabernet Sauvignon grape for a powerful match. I could never go wrong.
GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS
:)

#19 ·
NELSON!!!

Your'e a traitor!!:D :D

Drinking French wines..... pffffff may the gods of fertility "soften" your manhood!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

By the way, for those interested, a friend of mine has 3 WWII era French riffles on ebay, BRAND NEW.... only been dropped 3 times!!!!!!!:D :D :D

CD No problem I know, Bob, thanks.

And by the way no damage, just pain, and a little anger....the builder came over and repaired/checked inspected all.

we are golden soon. Just need to dry it for a while:)

Now, really, French wine is made with the same stuff they make Macdonalds burgers and beneteaus......guess what it is. A little Nautical trivia here:D

#21 ·
btrayfors said:
Poopdeckpappy,

Some of the great wines of the world come from California, fully equal to the best ones from abroad. Napa Valley wines, in particular, can be excellent.
Never even gave that a thought, I didn't know they were that good.......Thanks

Your friends will be ecstatic.
Well, if the wine advice works out as well as the Larks Head loop advice I got for my Genni,.......I bet he will.

Thanks again everyone

#24 ·
Cruisingdad said:
TDW-

You should be able to get some great Aussie wines and Chilean wines there. Cheap too, I would think.

I never can rememebr the names, but there is a Rothschild winery in CHile that is very, very good for the price. I think it is only like $15/bottle, US... don't know how much that is elsewhere. But really a nice, full red. Not as good as a good California (Stag, I actually like Silverado Cab a lot now, and several others)... but for 15 bucks, how do you go wrong?

Portugal, are you sure you make wines in your country? I heard they just import them from France. Sailingdog told me that. Cam backed him up and agreed. I was very surpised they would say something like that personally. Err, Hmm.
I mainly drink Oz wines, particularly the whites. Oz does some not bad Chardonnay and Pinot Gris styles. From what I've experienced they are a bit better than the Californian but it's been a few years since I was in the US. I'd always thought that the Spanish reds were good but their whites a bit iffy until last year when we tried some whites from Castille which were bloody good.

#25 ·
Giulietta said:
Hey TDW, you know why GOD invented SPANISH WINE????????????

So bad taste Australians wouldn't drink Portuguese wines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Awww man, that hurt ! Now I am going to be sad all day. Sniff !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.